Author Topic: Crazy? Need some advice from some Maui locals  (Read 8194 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy? Need some advice from some Maui locals
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 05:04:32 AM »
OMG those guys in the Boundless vid. Just unbelievable they made it. Being a beginner like that is sooo exhausting. Superfit. Superstupid. Like Jackass of endurance sports.

Re: fitness training
True about leg burn. In the beginning, for me, SUP was good cross training for other sports. Now my skiing (tele) has turned out to be killer cross training for DW SUP. Our windy[er] season is springtime so we come into it right off ski season, legs in shape. Just perfect. Tables turned.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
OMG those guys in the Boundless vid. Just unbelievable they made it. Being a beginner like that is sooo exhausting. Superfit. Superstupid. Like Jackass of endurance sports.

Re: fitness training
True about leg burn. In the beginning, for me, SUP was good cross training for other sports. Now my skiing (tele) has turned out to be killer cross training for DW SUP. Our windy[er] season is springtime so we come into it right off ski season, legs in shape. Just perfect. Tables turned.
Have a good pal from Alberta who comes out here after skiing all winter.  Same with him, he's good to go but he also has several seasons under him.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Jeremy - Slater etc - can help with tips and technique - but it is time on the ocean in big DW conditions that matters for a race like that.  The Boundless boys adventure looked very representative for two flat water lake paddlers.  Just think what would happen without a guide boat helping with navigation and support on your solo run over 32 miles.  Maybe reconsider.   ;)

http://www.molokai2oahu.com/event-info/course-map/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »
I know the boundless guys falling in every ten feet looks kind of fake, but I've been along on some of Headmount's tours and some people who looked great in the flatwater inside the gulch turned completely helpless in the pitching swell. It looks easy in the photos because all the movement is foreshortened by the camera, but it's initially very challenging even to experienced people. You watch the regulars standing casually on their boards and it looks easy, but it's purely sea legs. Once you get used to the movement you're fine, but it's hard to say how long that will take. I've seen people go from hopeless to damned good in just a few miles, and I've watched people paddling on their knees for their third Maliko. Almost anyone can do a big Maliko though, and if you're in good enough shape, and have Maliko down, then I don't think it's a huge jump to making a channel crossing, though that depends on some very dynamic conditions. There are times that boats shouldn't be in the channel, never mind slivers of carbon fiber. Still, it's a relatively reasonable channel most times, not as crazy as the Alenuihaha Channel which is generally considered the most dangerous channel in the world.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »
Something that spurred my skepticism somewhat was the one Boundless guy getting seasick, then kind of snapping out of it to continue out on the board. When I have gotten seasick, it is completely disabling and doesn't go away until after a while on shore.  I won't say they cheated, but it makes me wonder.

Those huge almost black blue peaks out in the open ocean looked absolutely terrifying.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
It is one thing going DQ Pocahontas like they did > another staying upright for 32 miles.  In that regards it is representative of what would happen to most all very well conditioned athletic flat water paddlers like them.  But for sure a smart move is to get a few runs with JR to assess your chances crossing even in very mild conditions.

You can get over sea-sickness SUPcheat - I have seen it first-hand.  On a overnight race 2 crew members were toast and had to lay prone until they got back to land.  The skipper who made dinner threw up and was out of commission also for a couple of hours - but came back to life.  My role was navigator strategist and had to help out a lot more with 3 disabled.  It was in a gale rainstorm in pitch blackness - half of the fleet abandoned.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
I don't usually get seasick, but if I do it's one quick spew and it's over. So I've experienced the fast recovery firsthand. My hunting and fishing buddy was the same way, but another acquaintance that was in a group I crossed the English Channel with (on the ferry) was still seasick two days after he got onto dry land. The rest of the loonies stayed up all night drinking beer and then went straight to the Heineken brewery for a tour.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
I'd swam in the ocean and raced sailboats in all sorts of crazy conditions, paddled, surfed, DWed across Biscayne Bay during a hurricane "drive-by" and never gotten seasick, until I did, about 2 months, on a fishing boat, in "sporty" ocean conditions. Took me 2-3 days to recover.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal