Author Topic: Naish raptor for 220lb  (Read 12031 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Naish raptor for 220lb
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »

Hi. So. At it again. What do you think would be the boundary for the medium raptor? They write 190lb on the page, but the board itself is 116 liters. You think a 220lb person can ride it?

I think the larger version is too wide for me to consider it....

I like how that board looks...

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish raptor for 220lb
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
I'm 225 lbs. and its the size that I would buy. It took me about a month to get comfortable on the 7'0 120L SIM style board I currently use and the Raptor looks close enough that I think I could move over to it pretty easily. It really just comes down to how confident you are in your ability.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:04:51 PM »

Hi. So. At it again. What do you think would be the boundary for the medium raptor? They write 190lb on the page, but the board itself is 116 liters. You think a 220lb person can ride it?

I think the larger version is too wide for me to consider it....

I like how that board looks...

What are you currently riding ?

I have had guys your weight jump in a Coreban Vibe 8'0" X 29" , 130L
and be stoked..hitting it hard for the first time on a Sup..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »

Ok then I think I'll be fine.
I currently have a 7'3'' custom Sim I ride, but it is a bit floaty so I am probably going to get rid of that. Great board, but not the first board I take out, and I just sold my 7'6'' hokua because I got too fat for it. I could ride that at about 205...I recently also bought the 7'10'' x32

The x32 7'10'' is plenty floaty and very stable.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »

Hell yes!!!
I just got it. Took it out and had some excellent head high waves. It was not a problem with the weight..so I wonder why they recommend 190 as the top weight. My buddy who is about my weight and does not SUP took about 5 mins to find his feet and then paddled it fine.

For me it was instant and no problem.

Damn that board top to bottom to top is a nice nice board. It gained speed really fast. I used it with the stock fins and it felt really good..the right kind of lose. I'll probably try it with my stretch quads as well, but so far this was an excellent experience. Conditions were kind of slabby head high inconsistent surf with 5-15 mph sideshore wind. A bit bumpy, but worked fine. I caught a few hip highs, and a few head high.

It drops in a bit different from the 7'6'' hokua...I was used to be right in the pocket...this board does better with a few strokes getting into the wave. It had excellent stability making the drop. Obviously as a short board finding the pivot point is important.

I think I'm going to like this board a lot.

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
Are there any good videos out there of someone riding that shape (besides GoPro)? I would like to see that. Very interesting concept. 
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
The Seabreeze SUP forum has some extensive thread on the door/TOMO type boards along with the groupies' testimonials.

Interesting boards and concept, but kind of hard to tell if its fad and fashion at this point.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:44:31 PM »
The Seabreeze SUP forum has some extensive thread on the door/TOMO type boards along with the groupies' testimonials.

Interesting boards and concept, but kind of hard to tell if its fad and fashion at this point.

Surely there are phases to this, and classic will come back...but here is my take on it.
I use this shape kiteboarding, and they work. So it is not a fad in that they don't work or anything like that. If you read the writeup from the website about the tomo board it reads like a marketing blather, but weirldy enough the boards work...but they aren't as new as people whis...its an evolution.

For the SUP I was more than a bit skeptical, but I've always said that for many boards the nose is just a bit of added weight. I think the SUPs being able to punch through is not to be disregarded tho.
Iggy kept on experimenting with shapes, and the old mana 7'9'' as well as his short-longboard shape had a fully rounded wide duck nose (I dunno if that is the name of it). Some of his protos in the naish store had butt-noses and all kinds of weird shapes. It is first now that the ultra conservative surfing industry is "getting" it...there are other shapes out there.

This board for combined the agility of the shortest hokua with more floatation and stability. It also carries a heavier load...so for me to be able to go on a 7'0'' instead of an 8'5 is huge.

Proof is of course in the pudding, but so far so good.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Great new board.  Must be fun going so short.
Is it like two boards as in moving off to the rail engage the frontside board and vice versa?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
Tautologies, Great info and report on another of the "square" Tomo vanguard style shapes out there. Sounds like it's working for you. If you already posted the dims I apologize but could you list them?

Keep giving us feedback as you are one if the "early adopters" here. Much info on sea breeze, Deep, JP, Naish, Starby, Sunova, Vanguards, Kazuma, TV Dinner, Wedge, AW..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »

SurfinJ, going down the line on this board is already some of my best rides ever...making the drop I had to step forwad a bit to point the nose down, but just on the waves I was a bit late for, but once I was on the board, and this was what really surprised me...so far I have had my feet planted. No moving side to side, and the board just dug in without burying the nose or anything like that. Of course, I am still in the honeymoon phase of this board, but so far so good.
I had one of those waves where you look around to see if your buddy caught you riding it :-)

Mrbig: I can do that.
Just so you guys know...a buddy of mine has been surfing for close to 50 years...he kites and surfs anything..short board through longboards and kiteboard..these days he makes them himself, but about 98%of the times he goes on a Tomo style board. He makes them himself, and we are kind of trying to put a longboard style together now. One for him and one for me. :-)
He hates SUP tho. LOL.

Like me he likes not having to turn this giganto nose around.

Now I am not going to discuss too much to what extent this shape is an invention from Tomo...he certainly helped make the shape popular. I see inspiration from simmons / mini-simmons, and mutant style kiteboards in these shapes...but what do I know. 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »
WOW! You're 220lbs on a Raptor!? Which one are you riding? Guessin' the V128.Starting to question my decision to score the 8'1" V-Box! But I'm pretty locked into it and at 117 ltrs it'll prob be pretty forgiving.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:11:31 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »

Nope I have the v116.

I did some mental gymnastics and math and hoped they underestimated max weight...it floats me easily. Its stable as well. My buddy who has only paddled a SUP twice and he might be 10lb less than me took about 1 minute to figure out how to paddle it. I didn;t let him take it to the waves tho, but the board is stable as hell.

My goal was to lose weight fast and buying a board that fit the lower weight...but I guess now I don't have to. LOL. 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »
Cookman - got crazy in Jersey. Catch you next time. Glad you pulled the trigger on the V - box. FREE delivery!

Tautologies  - Thanks for the update. Didn't know you got the medium instead of the large. Awesome that it is working and floating you. We want MORE info on that bad boy.

Rumor has it that the 7'6" slate I preordered will show fairly soon. It is 115 liters and 29" wide so I am feeling more confident that my 67 year old carcass will be able to ride it based on your feedback. My 115 liter King's has become a summer favorite so the JP should work.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

I never even knew about the slate board..it looks pretty killer. I am still satisfied with my board as the southshore of Oahu tend to have bit less power. I still have another board for the bigger days.

I've felt really comfortable on it in well overhead surf so the width hasn't been an issue yet. My backfoot has been planted something that caught me by surprise..I expected a bit of moving around on the board because its 31 wide, but it really doesn't feel that way. I have not had a ton of time on it...but been in big enough surf for the leash and leash attachment to snap.

I might put my 7'10'' x32 on the market soon-ish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal