Author Topic: anyone know how to bend emt conduit?  (Read 2041 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
anyone know how to bend emt conduit?
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »
  after a full complete dawn-til-dusk attempt at making 2 simple bends in a freaking piece of freaking conduit, i am at freaking wit's end.  my lawn is strewn with ridiculous bends.  every one of em has been a pathetic failure.  i've looked at 10 different youtube vids and read 25 different instructional website pages.  my mind is blown at what i can only assume is a mental block the size of an orca.  jesus h christ on a crutch, i'm almost in tears.
   here's the simple thing i want to do, 1/2" emt, 90 degree bends w/ an offset of 5", from what i've picked up.
   i'm using a 10' stick of emt.
   i want a 23" run that bends down 90 degrees and runs for another 23" before an offset 90 degree bend in the opposite direction.

23"
   ---------------------|
                                   |
                                   |  23" down
                                   |
                                   |---------------------- this goes out for the remainder of the 10' stick.

i can't figure out what to do w/ the offset and where to mark the pipe and in what directions to point my stupid freaking pipe bender.
  i've been cussing so much and so loudly that a neighbor complained.
  can anyone help?

btw / this is for my SUP bike rack and i need the 10' length, though i'll cut it down when (and if) i ever get the bends right.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: anyone know how to bend emt conduit?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
I think you need a beer first!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
That's actually pretty hard to do with a standard conduit bender, but it's a lot easier with a pip0e vise so you can hold the conduit at a good angle. And draw a line down the center of the conduit on both sides do you can align the bender with the line in the middle. Biggest problem is getting the bender a little off and having the bends angle out of the plane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:09:28 AM »
is it the 90 degrees that makes it difficult?  hell, at this point, i'd settle for 60. 

but it's not even that.  what i really need is for someone to tell me where on the straight stick to draw the bend lines, given the 23" and an offset of 5" (for 90 degrees), and the tell me which direction to point the nose of the bender.  can you help w/ that?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:21:55 AM »
call off the psych ward.  after another four hrs, finally got it.  2 90 degree bends.  it helped a ton when i cut the 10' stick down a whole bunch.  to get the length back, i'll splice the two ends w/ a pvc sleeve.  will post pix when i get time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal