Author Topic: Help - Deck pad glue removal  (Read 11193 times)

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Help - Deck pad glue removal
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
Hello Zoners, I am looking for help as to what is the best product, practice, method to get the old sticky glue off a board once you have removed the deck Pad ? The board is a my girlfriends Jimmy Styks MISSTYK as the original deck pad killed your feet so I opted to pull it off and replace it.

Stoneaxe and Creek you guys are pro's what's your secret ?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Deck pad glue removal
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »
Found this older thread not sure if anything better has come along?

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,11077.msg97358.html#msg97358
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »
Derek good thing its a 3-day weekend coming up, you're going to need all 3 days  ;D

I would try many of the recommendations in that other thread. I've found that different glues/adhesives used by different pads respond differently to the stuff mentioned. Either way it's no easy feat. I've also found that it doesn't need to be perfectly clean to get a new pad on there, as long as the edges are pretty clean so it makes a good perimeter seal.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
It's a PITA once the pad is gone leaving a thin layer of the old pad and adhesive.  I've recently removed one of the decks.  From where you are at this time (1) apply goof-gone, goof-off, etc., to a small area (3 square inches) and allowing it to soak in for a few minutes, and (2) using a steel blade putty knife (1" to 3" wide.  I used the 1" wide blade for more control, gently and slowly scrape the now melting pad/adhesive from the edge toward the center of the board.  The melted pad/adhesive starts gumming up in chunk.  That is a good sign that you are removing the pad/adhesive.

Once the pad/adhesive is gone, I used a rag and a citrus based solvent to clean the board before installing the new pad.

It was a very slow process. It took me a total of 6 or 7 hours over two days removing the pad without gouging the board.

Old Pad http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25009.0;attach=51446

Pic of new pad

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:00:37 PM by RATbeachrider »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
+1 Rat. I have good luck with gel goo gone Ace is the place..Used a wax comb as a scraper. Slow and steady. It WILL eventually all come off. A little wet sanding with 600
grit will help prep the newly cleaned area..
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:56:59 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
West Marine sells a hard plastic scraper with extra blades specifically designed for use on fiberglass without scratching it.  also, dont forget to glove up when using goof off or goo gone. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
I've always had it pretty easy with goo gone and a scraper. Never more than 4 hours for a full pad removal but whatever glue that gets used on the Foote production boards is the toughest I've seen to get off. Over an hour for the small section of tail where I put the handle to get all the glue off. Next time I need to remove any pad from that board I'm going to try heat 1st. There are definitely some different glues being used.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
3M adhesive remover works well also.

Rich
Rich

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
Thanks everyone, so after several hours and a couple sore arms i have all the deck pad material off and only a fine layer or film of the glue on the board which from what i have heard is ok since I'm puttibg another deck pad right back on.

Anyone think I should go the extra mile to get that glue residue off and go for a bare clean board?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
I think the new glue solvent will just melt the old and mix with it.  plus, if it doesnt look right, just take a day and scrap  it all off again now that you know how to do it.  just kidding on the second part. 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
Thanks everyone, so after several hours and a couple sore arms i have all the deck pad material off and only a fine layer or film of the glue on the board which from what i have heard is ok since I'm puttibg another deck pad right back on.

Anyone think I should go the extra mile to get that glue residue off and go for a bare clean board?
Yes, after all that work do it right...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »

I would ... but because (1) I'm anal and (2) my pad is custom designed.

ogdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
Hey PDLSFR,  i just saw your post, just removed a deck pad on one of my boards yesterday/today. think this was the third time i've done it and by far the easiest way.  - peel off as much of old pad as possible without worrying about left over adhesive,  then cover the area of the board where adhesive is with old towels and soak with turpentine. I then wrapped a tarp around it and left it overnight.  then with a plastic scraper/spatular could get pretty much all the old adhesive off.  then ,with gloves and a few clean rags used acetone to wipe whats left away. having done it before using heat guns and goo gone and elbow grease this method worked really well for me.  good luck.
9' 0 allwave
11' laird
12' 6" Naish Javelin

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
Board is finally done. Took 2 hours to peel of original deck pad, took around 6 hours and one gallon of Acetone. At least now my girlfriend is happy and I can get back to surfing !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal