Author Topic: 14' flat water.  (Read 9138 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
14' flat water.
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
New board started for a friend to paddle on the euro tour world cup races on and the 11 cities

14" x 21" A few little tweaks from my 12'6 shape although it looks quite different they are only minor.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: 14' flat water.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:07:21 AM »
Wow, that's pretty narrow. What weight of person is it for? Is the wide tail to help with stability? What are the rocker and tail kick like?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
Yes she is 55kg I'm hoping to be able to paddle it at 73kg though

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
Cool, Charlie! Looks like your pretty comfortable with Shape 3d now...? As always your work is top notch!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 03:02:39 AM »
Cheers yes I'm fairly compatible with doing the race boards and stuff there's still loads on there though that I don't realy use or haven't figured out. It still boggles me every time watching a computer drawing come to life on the machine!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »
Tippy....... but fast. Nice...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 03:40:10 AM »
I thought there is a regulation that boards narrower than 23" are not allowed in competition or am I wrong?
Greetings from Austria Bernhard

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 05:24:52 AM »
I have really enjoyed watching the progression of Charlie's boards and manufacturing capabilities.

I also note the ratio of the tail width to overall width is high.   This seems to be a trend. On my Banh Pho 14' in production I only went to 26" wide, as I am recreational/fitness oriented, but pushed Patrick to make a 13" tail for me.  He was hesitant at first, but went with my wishes.

Now the board is laminated and he admits now it looks right. 

I may have it in a week.

Cheers!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »
the only regulations are for supaa races which was basically the euro tour however they have now said this is lifted as it would be imposable to police and stop some one registering with one board and using another so there is now no restrictions for any races that I am aware of not that it would stop me building them in the first place.

I have actually recently had some one that has been In touch with me  who is very interested in starting up a company to get more of my boards produced and available in the uk (nothing to do with any of the current brands) with myself doing the r&d for it which could be pretty cool and is exactly what I would like to be doing.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »
Awesome uk.... it had to happen, you're boards are amazing.... living the dream :)

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
how wide is tail? could be narrower... and how are bottom sections? for a flat water and lightweight i'm sure U can hold on semi- rounded bottom... reduction of wetted surface, as long stability is there.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
how wide is tail? could be narrower... and how are bottom sections? for a flat water and lightweight i'm sure U can hold on semi- rounded bottom... reduction of wetted surface, as long stability is there.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:48:39 PM »
Starboard tested the rounded bottom 5 years ago,fast but tippy and not versatile at all and that was on a 30" wide board. I find it's more important to get the right  feeling in to the board rather than purely focusing on what is going to give the most speed.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »
Why should the tail be narrower?  Narrow tail doesn't necessarily equal speed.  If the water is coming off the back of the board as cleanly as possible without a wake, then thats pretty optimal.  You can do that without a narrow tail. 

I also do not like round bottom boards, and would HATE to do a multi day, marathon paddle on one. 

Looks sweet and good on ya!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 10:50:08 AM »
A few pictures from the build, hopefully it should be completed tomorrow and then off to Germany for the list mills race this weekend.
http://youtu.be/tPl9t78k8dk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal