Author Topic: Weather Chanel Vid: Killer Whale Takes Nibble of a SUP  (Read 4985 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Weather Chanel Vid: Killer Whale Takes Nibble of a SUP
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
This looks more like curiosity from the whale than an attack.  But still gotta be a trip to be hassled by a killer whale.

http://www.weather.com/tv/shows/wake-up-with-al/video/killer-whale-takes-a-bite-at-paddleboarder?pl=pl-hot-list
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Chanel Vid: Killer Whale Takes Nibble of a SUP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:36:57 PM »
Awesome though. We get a lot of orcas down here, the come right into the surf zone and shallow harbours (like 6 foot of water shallow) chasing stingray. Apparently the kiwi orcas are the only ones who feed on Rays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:15:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qK68a24dI

Definitely curiosity on the orca's part. I get the impression it was a juvenile based on size.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
yes curiosity    but the nervous laugh of the paddler   well some of  us know that  holy ___ feeling   laugh
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
Those things are eerily fast. Would be so awesome to see one from a sup.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »
Orcas are very odd about their diet. Google it sometime. Endless information available because it's so very strange and organized. The speciation of Orcas is challenging, the only genetic difference is in mitochondrial DNA and the differences are small. It was believed until recently that the species variation tracked to food preferences, but it now seems to be mostly social, with members of a single pod having similar markings and identical eating habits but different mitochondrial DNA. There might really only be one species.

Cool animals, I love seeing them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:16:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Curiosity for sure...a kid playing. No question one of if not THE smartest animals in the water. Hey, they figured out how to masturbate without hands....:)
I've always thought of Orca pods as tribes. Never made much sense to me that they were different species or even subspecies. More like white, black, brown, yellow, red and other variations in race amongst humans. Eating different foods...pffftt...Chinese, French, Mexican. What races don't eat different foods amongst man? Even the English have something they call food.....8)

I've never seen one in the wild but would certainly love to.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:47:52 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
Hey, they figured out how to masturbate without hands....:)

I'm afraid to ask.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
LOL....males have been observed swimming along the bottom on cobble beaches rubbing themselves until...well......you know.... :-[
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
That's it! Now one has figured that SUPs are really "paddling burritos". Pretty soon all those damn killer whale will be munching on our boards!

The days of our kind are numbered.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:03 PM »
LOL....males have been observed swimming along the bottom on cobble beaches rubbing themselves until...well......you know.... :-[
Are they sure those were orcas and not sperm whales?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
A big part of the reason I never considered the species argument was the obvious common opportunities for the different pods to inter breed. Nothing stops these guys from going wherever they want....they literally eat Great Whites for lunch and transient wandering males happen all over. We are the top of the food chain on land...it's Orcas in the water. Far removed pods/tribes can certainly look a lot different but so can we.
Bob

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »
definitely going where they want I saw one about 15 years ago off cherry street inc carlsbad.  It was a big male you tell by the dorsal fin that  flops.  What is interesting is the NG special on them that is linked to the op. it basically said that  the orca that killed the Gw in 1997 was  C-2 a member of the socal   band or tribe. That it rammed the shark then turned it up side down  so it can breathe then waits for it to die  and  rips it open which  exposes the liver  ( 500 lbs)  and then eats the liver.  Theses where it gets  very interesting   the Orcas in New Zealand  eat rays which they capture and kill by turning them over ( I wonder if th paddle board that guy was on resembled a ray a big weird one) they swim upside  grab the ray then turn right side up. Supposedly they are the only pod  that displays such behavior.   Except now we know that a so cal member   did the same thing. Communication?     So when the white was killed by the orca in 97 at the Farallons all the other sharks  disappeared.   In 2003 the same thing occurred again  and  the sharks all disappeared again but this time there was a tagged one  so they found where they all went. First the went off the edge of the continental  shelf and dove  to 1500 feet too deep for orcas  then they stayed down  until some where in the mid pacific  where they meet up again at the " the great white Cafe" .  The theory is that  when a shark is killed it lets out a very powerful  enzyme or smell that alerts all the sharks hence the disappearance.  They later extracted some of this "enzyme"  and tested it out on another species of sharks that were in the midst of a feeding frenzy ,Poof they took off light a bolt of lightening too.   did not affect the fish though. They are looking into as a shark repellant.   see what you learn from hanging on on this site!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
Was talking with an "old timer" fisherman in Orleans MA about the white sharks and seal population off Cape Cod waters and he brought up Orca's being the next to start showing up off the Cape as it's just a matter of time for them to find the bounty of seals for dinner.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal