Author Topic: SUP'er battling Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer Paddling to Raise Money for Research  (Read 4011 times)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Charlie Howden, one of our South Florida locals... okay, well he's from England, but we won't hold that against him... has been battling Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer since 2013.  The guy is a beast.  He was one of the dominant racers in our parts, and when he is up to it, he still is.  When he shows up for a race, you better be ready because very few beat him.  Truly inspiring the will power of this young man.  He has started a 450 mile paddle along the coast of Costa Rica to raise money for cancer research.  When he was diagnosed in 2013, in just a matter of 2 days or so, fellow paddlers that know him and the various yacht crews that he has worked for donated over 40 grand to help him fight for his life, and I know it still went higher than that.  he's just that kind of guy.

Anyway, you can find him on facebook and friend him to follow along, or check out his gofundme page as he updates that daily.  www.gofundme.com/lev494

http://www.wtoc.com/story/29066073/florida-man-plans-paddleboarding-trip-for-hilton-head-island-cancer-research-foundation

Maybe you have a few bucks you can throw to the cause, maybe you can just friend him, or follow him on his journey and cheer him on.  The next time you paddle on a beautiful day, maybe you'll think of the guy down in the islands that is taking on an epic paddle to raise money for cancer research while he is in between rounds of chemo and radiation.  They guy is worth cheering for and thinking about.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

supthecreek

Thanks Weeble.... always sad to think of what folks go through, but fantastic to see how some respond to the challenge!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
A true 'battle with a paddle'. It looks like Charlie's fighting the fight, and not letting it prevent him from taking life in. Inspirational. Prayer's and the best of downwinders to him. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
He's about 1/2 thru the trip.  One day, the wind was blowing him inshore and he had to fight to stay on the outside of the reef, with the waves breaking just past him.  He has been going thru a section of his trip where this isn't a lot of population near the shore, so he's had a support boat.
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nice looking wave, I'd have a hard time leaving that behind. Good for him doing such an epic effort. Pancreatic cancer used to be an immediate death sentence. I knew a girl who went from healthy to gone in less than a month after her diagnosis.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Pancreatic cancer used to be an immediate death sentence.

Still is for advanced disease.  I suspect he has a neuroendocrine tumor.  Stage 4 Pancreatic adenocarcinoma survival is usually less than a year. 

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Bill, you are so right on with the typical diagnosis for pancreatic cancer.  As a survivor of testicular cancer... which other than having to do a decently rough chemo, is the pretty much one of the easiest forms of cancer to beat, I spent a lot of time in the cancer center and watched a lot of people die horrible deaths.  When our community found out about Charlie's diagnosis, it was a very dark time.  However, his fight has been incredible, and inspirational.  To quote Henry Rollins when he spoke about a young man he met that was fighting cancer, "he's riding a wave of sheer terror, and getting tan while doing it".
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Charlie Howden passed away today in a valiant and courageous fight against stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He went the full 12 rounds, fighting it back for 2 years, showing nothing but class and style as he did.  To paraphrase Hannah Storm when when she spoke of Stuart Scott's passing, "we will not say that Charlie lost to cancer, instead we will say that we lost Charlie Howden"
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Pancreatic cancer used to be an immediate death sentence. I knew a girl who went from healthy to gone in less than a month after her diagnosis.

Still can be. That's exactly what happened to my friend's dad last spring. Scary! :o

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sorry to hear that Weeble. I will think about Charlie next time I'm out on the water alone. I'm glad he had time to experience such a great sport that gives one a perspective like no other. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
It's strange with pancreatic cancer.  People can look almost all right, but tell you they will be dead in a month or two, and they are.

When I was in professional school, at the end of my first year, my landlord (who rented me a room in his home and was in his 80's) came home with yellow sclera.  I asked if he was getting it checked out.  He told me later in the week the doctor told me he had pancreatic cancer.  He was dead a few weeks later.

Because of probate, the family couldn't change anything about the house that wasn't already there, so the family let me stay there for the room rent for a year to have somebody look after the place.

I basically rented a house in Beverly Hills for a year for a hundred dollars a month as a poor student until the probate cleared.  The family had it tended by gardeners and an occasional maid visit. It was also full of very expensive art because the daughter was a dealer, which is probably also why they wanted somebody there. The daughter gave me a minor piece of art as a gift when I left, and I still have it hanging in my man cave.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
RIP Charlie
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I would see him at races and read and heard good things about him, but didn’t really know him. I’m sorry I won’t get that chance. RIP Charlie.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
RIP Charlie
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal