Author Topic: A few shots of V3  (Read 20592 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A few shots of V3
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
Hey Argosi, it's a little secret we Canucks like to keep close to the chest.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 10:33:55 PM »
Eagle, I have seen those stats before. You can virtually superimpose that data on to the Hood River histograms. Incredible.  Will be fun to compare the Viento to Howe Sound head to head.  I think Howe sound wind on scenery hands down, although the water is warmer in the river.  Squamish & Hood River are both superb towns. The deciding factor will have to be the glides.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »
Hey Argosi, it's a little secret we Canucks like to keep close to the chest.   ;)

That looks like a great run.  I have Canadian friends.  Does that count for an entry ticket? 

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »
Am I reading this correctly? 75% of the days in July above 25mph? That is awesome! Eagle I am going to figure this out how to take you up on your offer. And the invite also goes out to any Zoner who finds themselves passing through Hong Kong. Can't guarantee wind, but definitely an interesting paddle.

Blue crab, the wind maxes in July here but August is still good.  It helps to head left to the cliff wall across the inlet after Watts Point otherwise you paddle on the right the whole way in.  The kite boarders can be a bit cheeky entering the river so keep an eye out for them pulling air right in front of you as you surf and plane in.

Here is an idea of the wind pattern and direction at Squamish Spit and the correction line in -
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
Blue, here the wind starts at around 10 kts at Porteau and builds to 25 kts entering Squamish.  We do have some nice scenery like the Chief - Shannon Falls - and Black Tusk -> but the glide quality I suspect will probs go to HR.

We also have a laid back West Van to Vancouver run with nice views of the city skyline -> but that again is only around 5-15 kts.  A longer run is a 24 miler from Horseshoe Bay up to Squamish -> and a 37 miler from Nanaimo crossing over to Vancouver.

No doubt the best chance for solid wind and decent glides does happen entering Squamish.

HM, of course a Canadian friend always allows immediate entry!

O-S, yep - yearly stats and daily wind profile charts don't lie.  All the windsurfers and kiteboarders always go to Squamish to get their fun quotient filled.  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:44:20 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Wo. Lots of options and lots of wind = my kind of place.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
Wo. Lots of options and lots of wind = my kind of place.
ditto.   We have two options here on Maui that cover about 45 degrees of wind direction.  Given the usual consistency, that's enough but last four months have been poor... until yesterday and today again.  It rocked heavy.  Best run in a very long time for everyone.  Last two miles were as good as it gets for downwind paddle surfing. 

That would be cool to go into Vancouver after a run and go to some great place to eat.  Eating out here is always so so

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:22 PM »
Oh and last two days have been on V3 courtesy of my Canadian pal, who is currently in Alberta.  He told me to break it in for him.  We had tried the proto when he was here last and it was a horrible run but turned out that proto had over a quart of sea in it.  So I wasn't that keen on giving it a go again but I did yesterday.  It was in the wow factor and today was indescribable.  The double concave makes the top end wicked fast. All the gripes I had before had totally disappeared.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »
V3 sounds like a fun ride.  We like the double concaves on the Bullet 14 also.  So fast and skatey and releases faster than the single.

The WV to Van run is a nice one in that it puts you right into the City Center with a ton of eateries all round.  If you are a foodie -> Van is good place to be with varied cultures round the world.  Just plunk your board on a car and chill with friends right after your run.

Here are clips from a vid that was made in Nov last which is getting close to our very moderate wintertime.  We get snow for maybe a week that sticks at sea level but our mountains get snow often enough.  Made many vids with killer music and a few have been sent to friends and Zoners - but most are private as they are quite boring for most.

This one was on the Dominator with Santana.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
A question was asked if that WV run to Van gets more wind than 15 kts and bigger swells than shown in the pics.  For those planning to visit and try that run -> it can pick up quickly and get a bit blustery crossing English Bay on occasion -

"On Dec. 15, 2006, Stanley Park was hammered by 120 kilometres-per-hour winds and pounding sea waves, downing nearly 10,000 trees and creating landslides over the park's famed seawall."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/stanley-park-marks-windstorm-anniversary-1.267785#

Now that would have been a good keeper video.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
Eagle,  Those runs look awesome. Right along my typical jogging routes when I am in town for work.  Next time, I'll bring a board instead of the running shoes. I'll second that the food in Vancouver is off the charts. We love hitting the Richmond on the way home for ultra-authentic Chinese but the options are limitless.

It sounds like your urban runs are a lot like ours in Seattle but we have nothing outside of the city that compares to Howe Sound or the gorge. Our urban summer runs are northerlies which usually stay below 20 knots. Fun and gorgeous but not spectacular for linking glides. During winter storms, we can get incredible, somewhat hairy runs off of West Seattle which require a slog into the middle of the sound but are then extremely well lined up. Often as good as the gorge on a big day. Great food / drinking options at the end as well. Our favorite is Marination, an ex-food truck which is now brick and mortar: great views of the city and awesome Korean tacos.  Lake Washington is also a popular southerly run which is right outside of the city. All our welcome to visit & try it out.

There is a theoretical interest in our small community in exploring surrounding PNW waterways for downwind spots including Hood Canal, the Strait, Gray's Harbor and Bellingham Bay. However, kids & life always seem to get in the way.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
Will have to get in touch next time we head down to Seattle -> thx.

Others interested in heading up to Squamish -> make sure you check out the current wind graph readings and on-the-water webcam views right on the Spit.  Tide info etc is also linked.  Graph has been not working lately but seems to be back up and running again.   :)

http://www.squamishwindsports.com/conditions/wind/

http://www.squamishwindsports.com/conditions/webcams/

Fast is FUN!   8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 11:18:42 PM »
A downwind run with foodie food choices at the end?? Sounds like heaven!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
Gotta try those Korean tacos - sound very interesting and tasty.

This GPX line is the perfect angle in when entering Squamish.  This was my run today - ok 10 kts at Porteau picking up to around 15 -> then backing off to around 5 at Watts Point.  Headed across to the rock face so that was aligned for the thermal wind jacking at the Spit.  The run in from there was straight in -> and perfect in 20-25 kts breeze today.  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:27:55 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 12:37:58 AM »
Eagle. Looks great. Are those markers in miles or Kms? Korean Tacos? That's is something we've not seen in Hong Kong..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal