Author Topic: SUP around Hull?  (Read 6379 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP around Hull?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:43 PM »
Maybe. Stinky souwester offshore in direction of France. I'm out..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
Finally got around to this today and had a pretty good day of it. Started in Cohasset Harbor about an hour before high tide. Started out paddling into the wind to the big hotel on Nantasket, got out and crossed over to the bay side. Still working against the wind headed around sunset point and some bump before hiding behind Bumpkin. Got ready for the big event of paddling through the gut, wind at the side, about an hour and a half since high tide so there's some current heading through. Manage to get through the gut using the current without wiping out and start turning the corner to get the wind at my back. Still plenty of bump with all the little rocky outcroppings but every time I turn a corner I get more wind at my back and more organized waves. A little squall coming from my back as well and the wind and waves are really picking up. Passed Point Allerton and decided to run straight downwind back towards Cohasset rather than contour the beach. Getting some good speed with the wind and swell and about this time get approached by the Hull harbor master. Wants to know where I'm headed, let him know I'm fine and going to Cohasset Harbor. He takes off and about half an hour later the Cohasset Harbor master pulls up for another check in. Let them know I'm fine and they shadow me until I get closer to shore then take off.
All in all was on the water for 6 hours and got really lucky with the conditions and tides, covered 19 miles and probably made the Hull police log. Checked in with the Cohasset Harbor master and had a little chat, apparently people in Hull were calling after I rounded point Allerton. Next time will probably file a float plan if I do this again to avoid the on water chats with authorities. Not sure I'd shoot the gut again on a busy weekend day high season, but the little portage and the gut are what made this trip interesting to me.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=6676194&rf=1
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:38:55 PM by johnysmoke »
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
Sweet.....that must have been fun with the wind lining up like that. That expanse of flatness along there is perfect for generating glides. Nice to know folks are looking out for you I guess. I have the Plymouth Harbor master on my cell. I always call them before I head out on long distance coastal runs. My son in law and I had something similar happen launching from Green Harbor. To people on shore it looks like you're getting blown away by the wind.....and you are....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal