Author Topic: Commuter car for race boards  (Read 8128 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Commuter car for race boards
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
  I would get a Sprinter van but its too high to easily load a surf ski up there.

Actually, the Thule Hullavator makes it doable...
FWIW, a 14'er fits inside my 2500 Sprinter...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
I was looking for the 'best $20k car' to add to the quiver - 2012 Acura TSX.
I've lusted after that wagon for a while.  You have very refined taste in cars. 

After selling my 4runner, I've been very happy just to lift boards to head height to get them on the car, no more tire climbing to adjust straps.  Low roofs are the best (behind a well appointed sprinter van).

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Another thing to consider is road harmonics on race boards...they can get tweaked and twisted off of true...
You are generally talking 1# foam and thin skins...when my wifey was racing I added a 3rd bar and spread them out on her Yukon for her 14er's...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
- 2012 Acura TSX.

What kind of mileage does that Acura get???

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
Another thing to consider is road harmonics on race boards...they can get tweaked and twisted off of true...
You are generally talking 1# foam and thin skins...when my wifey was racing I added a 3rd bar and spread them out on her Yukon for her 14er's...

Never heard of that WD...can you elaborate?  I would love to attribute my slowness on my next paddle to "road harmonics" ;D

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Sprinter is a great commuter car, unless you have to park in a garage.  Plus, the 4WD option is available now.  Too bad this was an April Fool's joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-F-q_4R29U

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »

and a bargain at $619.95!!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »
I really like my wife's Chevy Volt. Very comfortable car, roof is low, about 280 MPG and that's mostly because we switch to gas to use up the nine gallons every so often so it won't get too stale. They're supposed to be pretty expensive but discounted heavily at most chevy dealers since they don't sell well. No idea why. Great car. I'm not taking it to a track day, but as a commuter it would be my first choice. Charge it off-hours

Diane won't let me put a rack on it, but the long, low roof would be fine for any length board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »

and a bargain at $619.95!!!

Many places are offering it for under $500...regardless, IMO it was worth every penny...and, paid itself off the first time that we used it on a trip...
Ease of use...not to mention, safety...not having to climb on top of a tall vehicle and risking falling off is priceless...;-)

The Thule 897XT Hullavator kayak rack system received the Silver Industrial Design Excellence Award (IDEA), one of the most prestigious, global awards for innovation in product design.

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »

Never heard of that WD...can you elaborate?  I would love to attribute my slowness on my next paddle to "road harmonics" ;D

Hull stress and rocker deformation can happen over time from see-sawing vibrations...hot weather can exacerbate it...especially, with the less dense EPS foam, thin skins, no stringers...etc...of high performance race boards...
The more savvy race kayak and surf ski guys are aware of it...

Bow and stern tie-downs can help...you could also get one of those hitch mount bars for extra support...

Windsurf slalom and formula racers like Phil Mcgain and Jimmy Diaz used to check their board's rockers after every race...they were so tuned in that they could feel it go off of true...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
Gremmy,  It's full of electronics (some a PITA) one readout is Actual Mileage 'this moment in time' ..the other is an average mileage since the last time you reset the trip-o-meter. That was 32.4mpg over 6k.  I am Mr. Cruise Control. If I have a 3/4mi of free space ahead (we live in the country) I take my foot off the gas.  On the 10hr run back from OH, I was getting upper-20s at 70-80mph.  There were none around here (plenty Acura SUVs) but I saw a surfer from Wash DC with one last year and it looked good. Compared to the Escape and ML ..even the Volvo - it's nice and low ..easy reach.

The TSX suspension is tuned more like a Golf ..tires are hard ..there's a little wind noise ..but seats are real supporting compared to 'comfortable' in the Volvo. (more like Mercedes)  The cool part is the low production numbers and the fact that everything forward of the B-pillar is Honda Accord.  I gather it's badged as the 'Accord Tourer' in Japan and Europe.

DJ from OZ ..should pipe in.  He's got a cool little ..Suzuki?  Looks like the perfect urban SUP car.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal