Author Topic: Commuter car for race boards  (Read 8130 times)

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Commuter car for race boards
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
Yes, SUP accommodation is the primary requirement in my car hunt. Followed by petty things like gas mileage and reliability. Wanting something that can manage a 14' race board a few times a week on a 40min commute. 30-40mpg would be nice. Used, 10-15k range. Looking at the VW sport wagon TDI.

What's working  well for you commuters out there?

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Commuter car for race boards
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:21:50 AM »
Jetta Sportwagen is an excellent choice, roof rails, wide crossbar spread, good mileage, leatherette (pleather)seats.  I needed AWD so it was out for me, got a VW Tiguan instead.  the mileage is not as good as I'd like though.  next one will be a BW X5 diesel (31 mpg).  I would get a Sprinter van but its too high to easily load a surf ski up there. 

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
I use a Volvo V50.Has the small diesel engine,  gets 40 + mpg . Better yet would be a V70. It's last year of the model so it's a super car at a decent price. Get the small diesel engine.
I live in Sweden. VW cost same as Volvo. And Volvos like flies on cow shit here.
I also have vw touran and it's too high to lift sup onto roof.
SUV will be too high.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
C class merc estate has full length roof rails. You can get your roof bars a very long way from each other, great for longer boards.  Diesels do good mileage too.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
I use a Volvo V50.Has the small diesel engine,  gets 40 + mpg . Better yet would be a V70. It's last year of the model so it's a super car at a decent price. Get the small diesel engine.
I live in Sweden. VW cost same as Volvo. And Volvos like flies on cow shit here.
I also have vw touran and it's too high to lift sup onto roof.
SUV will be too high.

Volvo wagon would be good but volvo doesn't sell the diesel in the states.  The gas ones are pretty fuel thirsty.  Except for the brand new 4 cylinder turbo ones.  Rented an XC70 recently and got 31 over all.  Turns itself off at stop lights. 

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
I just turned 200,000 miles in my 2006 Honda Civic.

40 mpg, comfy for big guy, 80 mph all day, very solid on the road plus a great trunk for gear

Never had a tune-up. Ever.

Here's a picture of the car with my 12' icebreaker beast on the roof for reference.... sorry about the cold.... only pic I could find easily.

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »
Great suggestions all thanks. Think a 14' foot would be a bit too long on that civic? I love Honda, so it may be worth a look! Maybe an accord or CRV. Volvo and Mercedes wagons are virtually absent in this area. There are a few VW wag TDI's however.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »
The wife has a vw tdi wagon, sweet rack! With a board on top you can get the back hatch about halfway open maybe a little more. Good highway car the diesel sips fuel on the highway. I'm 6'2 6'3 on a good day and feel a little jammed in there. Hers doesn't have a ton of technology but the blue tooth is good enough for me to get music going. Had to put snow tires on it this year (Boston) the thing is terrible in the snow otherwise, the stock continentals are more sport than all season. I think the diesel engine is heavy making it front heavy and torquey and the stock tires really sucked in the snow. With snows it's a tank.
Not sure about maintenance, my buddy has a golf tdi and is always whining about the cost of tune ups, but we haven't had any issues. If I had a lot of highway commuting to do I'd get another, but for the more suburban urban popping around we do not sure I would bother with the diesel again. It is a great size though, relatively easy to park in a city but fairly roomy inside, except for the wheel well intruding in the front seats. Huge trunk. Worth checking out.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 03:21:42 AM »
Subaru all wheel drive. Many styles to choose from. Had a WRX wagon, currently in 05 Legacy sedan. Speed racer has turbo still gets 28 on the highway..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
the newer Outbacks would be the perfect paddling car, 'cept for the ridiculous plastic-clad rack up there.  I live in "paddling central" (SUP, sea kayaks, surf skis) and practically no one has the Subaru Outback because you are forced to use their inadequate rack.  unless its the older ones with the roof rails that you can attach a Thule or Yakima system.  you can tote a 10-6 or even a 12 around town on just about anything, but get on the highway or need to carry a 14 foot board, or a 20 foot surf ski, and you need a serious rack with some crossbar spread. 

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
1998 Civic, 30 mpg, paid for itself 10 years ago.
I'm not an engineer, but, I notice when carrying my boards against the wind that's it's easier to handle with my fin facing forward, so I put it up front while driving.
Any thoughts?

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Long Highway runs, with my surf SUPs. I always go nose forward, deck down. This puts air pressure down on the racks, not up, so I figure less stress on the straps, board and rack.

I have never transported a race board, so I don't know the dynamics... I think if I was doing any distance, I might run a forward line from nose to bumper to limit stress on light weight race board layups.

Having said that, I keep my board inside on trips, because I lose 3-4 miles per gal with a board on the racks

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Fin forward or back has been debated many times. I put nose forward because it seems to be more aerodynamic with more rocker being at the front of the board, but it's splitting hairs either way imo.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Mazda 3 we have is a trouper for trips, I've had 4 surf sups on it and still got around 36 mpg. 40+ without boards, 40-38 with 2 up.
Mazda has those sub-roof attachment points, which are essentially integrated bolts that Thule and Yakima and others make mounts for.  Never had a more stable set up than this.

Paddles and gear fit inside without many contortions.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
I was looking for the 'best $20k car' to add to the quiver - 2012 Acura TSX. Went to OH in April to get the right one.  My wife's V70 with about 90k ..and my Ford Escape with 270k and ML320 with 100+ ..all have racks. 

Big Volvo and Merc. wagon fans for years but they are just too dear for the added value.  The V70 (straight 6) gets about 18 ..Escape 20 ...Merc 20+ ..TSX 32mpg for the last 6k.  A little buzzy for my wife used to a 4-wheel living rooms but very nice

I wanted a diesel but VW has never gotten their QC in line with the Japanese since their debacle in the 80's.  The Subie Crosstrek was attractive but has a cheezy interior and rubberband tranny.  I like Mazdas, like S-J, but our dealer left town.

...with a little engineering (very little) Volvo crossbars fit the Acura.  (same contractor)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal