Author Topic: Starboard Atlas vs Cruiser?  (Read 3929 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Atlas vs Cruiser?
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Atlas or Cruiser to maybe point out some of the differences for flatwater cruising?  Also, does anyone have experience with riding the ASAP boards?  Are they too heavy?  Do you wish you upgraded to another better construction?

I'm still checking craigslist 5x a day but am getting sick about thinking about SUP'ing and might just pull the trigger on a new board soon.  I think I would like a SB if I buy new.

I found:
2012 Cruiser in AST Silver for $1300 delivered
2014 Atlas Wood for $1350 delivered
2014-5 Atlas ASAP for around $960 delivered with a free adj cheapie paddle
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Atlas vs Cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
Simply put, the Atlas is much more stable at 33" wide.  I forgot your height, weight, age etc... I just remember you were having a bit of trouble with the Blade & looking for something comfortable.  With that in mind, Atlas would be a very safe bet. 

ASAP is neither bad nor much heavier than their other constructions (aside from carbon).  For 2015 it's essentially their Starshot construction with a full deckpad & reinforced rails.  It's nicer than a traditional soft top with the vinyl "boogie board" bottom.  The new Atlas ASAP's are pretty nice IMO. 

That 2014 Wood would be a a couple pounds lighter, and a little prettier. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
6'1",  200lbs and early 40s.  Never surfed before and yeah,  looking for something more stable than the Blade.

The couple comments here on the Cruiser said it might be the best all around shape.   I guess,  I was just trying to get an idea if the extra 3" width of the Atlas was overkill.

The wood and ast silver are both real nice,  but the price of the asap is appealing too.   I just want some stable nice flatwater glide
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
I strongly disagree that asap = starshot with extra stuff.  Asap is their bottom of line build.  It is a very light glass job over lower grade eps, with glued on reinforcements.  It has its place (rental boards) but I would highly recommend getting the starshot over the asap. 

I know a little about how asaps are built because i have cut one in half before. 

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »
Still looking around locally....came across the Starboard Freeride (new $999, 3 hours away), there's a used Naish Touring 12 ($899, 2 hours away) and a Ron House Coastal Cruiser ($1100, 3.5 hours away).  I think any of these would be a pretty solid all-around board with focus on flatwater?

There's also a wood Starboard Big Easy that just popped up locally from a dealer on CL for a pretty good price, but after doing some reading, I'm not sure that's a good choice.  Love the wood though
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:18:46 AM by amheckSUP »
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
The newer Naish Touring that is 31 wide could be nice, the older one is too narrow.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
This Naish touring is a 2013.  Might be a shop demo, or something.  He says its in excellent shape.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
I have the 2013 Naish 12' Touring.  I like it. At 31" it's a good combo of stability and speed. The nose of the board let it work good in the ICW wind and chop.One of the first 2013 videos of it showed Naish rider(Susan)  downwinding with it. Mine came with the 10.5 Naish fin. 2014,15's come with the 9.5 fin. A 9" dolphin style fin I use definitely improves glide and speed. Larry Allison Bat fin works well also,especially on rough days.

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
thanks for the thoughts.  I guess I'm struggling because I'm trying to find something different enough from my Blade2 so what I get good enough and can ride that, I don't end up with 2 similar boards.  The Naish seems to be well received, but with the displacement, I keep wondering if I should get something more planing to try some surfing.  Although in the Gulf, I'm not too sure we get much surf anyway.  But on the other hand, it seems to be stable, but not too silly wide, and would appear to be good for the flatwater paddling I want to do.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:18:04 AM by amheckSUP »
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal