Author Topic: First race tips and strategy...  (Read 5637 times)

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
First race tips and strategy...
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
Somewhat noob has first race in two weeks (5 mile flatwater out and back).  Any tips or strategy suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Entering the 50+ 14' board category.  Have not registered yet but will in the next few days.  Should be cool air temps (50-60 degrees) and cold water in a high elevation lake.  Planning to start moderate pace on the way out and slowly pick it up on the way back.  Haven't played around with buoy turns yet so just going to cut 'em wide.  Will hydrate well before hand (not carrying water) and warm-up a full 20 minutes with a couple of short sprints. 

And there will be beer in a cooler on the beach waiting for me!

Not sure how the start will happen, parking the car, unloading the board, pfd?, dressing, picking up reg packet, food, water, etc.

Any tips?  Thanks.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: First race tips and strategy...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
Man, I've only done one but the thing that hit me most was how excited I was once the start hit. I busted out at full speed and had to catch myself and set a pace.

Watch your heart rate is my tip. Oh and get there early so you're relaxed.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
Would take a hydration pack and fuel up as necessary - you may be parched otherwise over 5 miles.  Do not go full out but pace fast and finish strong.  Keep an eye on your age group competitors and pace behind them and pass them at the finish - or break them early and pull far ahead to finish easy.

Most of all - have fun!  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »
I paddle in the same category. We have a monthly time trial which is anywhere between 2 mile and 5 mile. On cold days I can do 5 miles without hydration. On warmer days absolutely not. You don't need much, but on a first race I'd err on the side of caution. As well as hydrating before the race I gulp down one gel pack 15 mins before the race.

For 5 miles going out too fast means I start to feel it about 1/2 way and by 3/4, I slow down a lot, so pacing is real important. Generally everyone goes out too fast and it is hard to stay back.

Finally a world on clothing. I always make sure I'm not going to overheat and I'm comfortable unless conditions are really gnarly and I think I'll spend a lot of time in the water. If it's windy then I'll make sure anything on my head (glasses and hats) have a tie so they can't fall off easily. Stopping to pick things up is not great in a race.

I like to get everything ready the evening before the race so I am not rushing around getting stuff in the morning when I could forget something. Our races require leash and pfd and every race there is always a couple of people who have forgotten to bring one or the other and are stressed out. Best to be prepared.

One more thing. Make sure you listen to the safety/ race  briefing so you know what to do if you get into trouble. Our rule is wave a paddle in the air if you need assistance. Wave a hand if you are okay and don't need assistance. This could be a paddle breaking, or at our age, woah, I think I may be having a heart attack... Knowing what to do takes the stress out of things. If there is no safety briefing then I'd suggest you ask them to introduce one. 

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
My advice is not to take it too seriously.  It's your first race, make sure you have fun, there will be many more.  You will probably make some mistakes, try to learn from them and don't freak out.  I used to get super nervous and excited before the start.  Now I try to be calm and focused at the start and save the adrenalin for later in the race. 
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SURFnTURF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:04:01 AM »
Most importantly have fun and don't take it so seriuosly that you psych yourself out before the get go, has  fun!
     If you think that you're one of the faster paddlers, get a good starting spot so as not to get trapped behind slower racers.    If you're not a contender, let the faster guys have the prime starting spots.   Don't wear headphones.  You need to not just hear the announcer, but be very aware of what's going on around you. 
       These short races tend to start with a sprint to create a gap, then the lead pack will form a draft train that the pack will have a hard time catching, even after they settle into a sustainable pace.   Get in a draft if you can.   
         Most importantly (and the hardest advice to follow if you have aspirations of being a contender) afterwards, make sure that you're fully rehydrated and have taken in a quickly digestible recovery fuel of some sort before drinking any beer. 
 I like a protein smoothie.   After a race, or even a hard workout, your muscles need nourishment and will absorb most of what is taken In first.    I drink.  A lot.   Beers after work or in the right social setting are hard to resist.   The best thing that you can do for your racing is no alcohol within 3 hours post-race.   Sorry to be a buzz kill, but alcohol inhibits HGH production and your body will be primed to make it to repair and rebuild.  And no I don't always follow this advice  :)
Beer is good for you!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
Stay on your board. Technique over power, rhythm and breathing. Eyes on the horizon. Journey before destination.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »
Stay on your board. Technique over power, rhythm and breathing. Eyes on the horizon. Journey before destination.

Great advice. On the rhythm and breathing, for all races I find it is one breath per stroke. Breath out as I plant the paddle and breath in after I take the paddle out by my feet. It's a great rhythm. Pilates-like in fact.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »

Yup, great tip.  Masking tape and sharpie on the deck of my board reads "breathe, relax, rhythm.  And remember your cues, dammit!"

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 04:15:16 AM »
In my experience people go full out for the first mile. After that you take a look around and stay with the group you end up in. If you're already way behind the leaders it makes no sense to keep pushing hard. Stay with the group you ended up in. If possible pass a couple of them, draft and have fun. It's your first race after all.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
First race went REALLY well.  I was somewhat dismayed to learn on the morning of the race that I was competing in the 14' OPEN category, which included everyone between the age of 18-54.  So I didn't place well, but was very satisfied with how my race unfolded.

What worked well:

1. I nailed the pre-race food and hydration, and clothing for the race.  It was cool and overcast during the race, and rained lightly during the awards ceremony.

2. I stayed on my board and focused on my breathing and technique cues.  The race was 5 miles out and back around the perimeter of a lake.  I focused on getting into a rhythm on the way out, recover and hydrate around the back two buoys, then pick it up on the way back.  That strategy seemed to work well.  I didn't want to blow up from going out too hard, but finish strong.

3. I did a 10 minute cool down.  Surprisingly, there were very few racers that did this post race.

4. My gf gave me a 5-gallon bucket with a bunch of stickers and my name and phone number on it.  This was really handy to have on the beach with your hydration, pfd, booties, leash, flip flops, towel, extra clothing, etc.  Nobody messed with it.  I thought she was being silly at first, but man it was good to not have to keep running back and forth to the car before the start of the race.

What didn't work well:

1. I worked until 9 PM the night before, woke up at 3 AM and drove 4 hours to the race.  I arrived about 1 hour before the race began.  Obviously, I was sleep deprived and not well-rested.

2. I only got 10 minutes to warm-up on the water before the paddler's meeting.  Ideally, I need 20 minutes to fully warm up.

3. I dressed to race at a friend's house before driving to the event.  I didn't think to bring a change of clothes for after the race.  It was cold and rainy afterwards.  Rookie move.

4. The race was a beach start, and I was just kinda' positioned in the middle of everything.  I let everyone take off to avoid tussling with other racers.  I thought this was being conservative but didn't realize the choppy water that would be created by 100 people sprinting for the first quarter mile.  This created REALLY difficult paddling conditions for me.  I managed to stay upright (barely), but next time I'll position myself on the outer margins.

5. I need to work on drafting and buoy turns!

My goal was to establish some expectation about what it's like to race on a paddleboard.  I started conservatively, briefly recovered/hydrated in the middle, and gave it everything on the way back.  In other words, I raced my own race and didn't compare myself to others around me.  In preparation for a Summer of racing I did a 3-month strength block with a fitness trainer and worked with Jay Wild to establish good technique and cues.  My training lake is also at 7600' elevation, which probably helped immensely.  I felt REALLY strong at the mid-point, and blew past 6-8 paddlers on the way to the finish.  I inhaled THREE full meals on Saturday after the race, and felt surprisingly good the next day.  I'll take that as a positive sign.

One race down, five to go.  Thanks for all the tips.  See you at the starting line up.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:15:03 PM by zirkel »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
Glad you had a good first race. I've been racing for almost 7 years now, and I'm constantly adjusting my race routine. I kind of just show up and do it now. The rest is routine. Don't work out the day or days before. Eat right, party the night before, Egg McMuffin and a coffee pre-race:) And try to re-hydrate. With beer after.   

Tahoe? I so, you should do the Wednesday night locals race. Lots of fun, good Ohana.
South Tahoe Standup Paddle
SUP SERIES 2015
EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT
May 28 – Aug 27 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Weekly Race Results
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Endlessearth

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
This is all great advice!  I have my first race tomorrow.  Just a 2-miler. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 06:20:26 AM »

If there is no safety briefing then I’d suggest you ask them to introduce one. 

Great suggestion.

We have safety meetings all the time, often several per outing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal