Author Topic: Essex River Race, in Glorious Essex, MASS  (Read 3351 times)

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Essex River Race, in Glorious Essex, MASS
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »
Hey New England SUP racers! This Saturday is the Essex River Race, in Essex, MA, just north of Boston. It's one of the nicest courses to paddle on the entire east coast! It's 5.5 miles of tidal river, complete with current changes, wind (likely) and maybe some rain (am showers in the forecast). It should be a pretty good day. If you are interested, check out the link:
http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/ERR_Race_Info.html
Also, if you are in need of a 12'6 or 14' race/tour board, PM me, and I'll have a few at the event if you want to borrow.
Hope to see some Zoners down there this weekend!
Paddleoha~!

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Essex River Race, in Glorious Essex, MASS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
I'll be there. Have we all come up with an on-water "zoner signal" yet? I'll be wearing a black SIC visor. I'll either be using a white/gray SIC X14 or a red X14 Pro, not sure yet. Either way, it won't be the board's fault but I'll be last. :)
Bunch of old shit

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
Addapost, sorry I didn't introduce myself as exetersup this weekend. I was on a blue Boga raceboard, with a Patriots hat on. I think you and I were close for most of the race? I was wearing headphones, so couldn't talk/hear much. I just remember shouting "watch out" a few times when the double rowing sculls were on the attack. Did you get knocked off? I was right next to that woman who got her legs swept out from under her, right around the first mile.
Anyways, what a great race! Conditions were sweet. Would be nice to see the backwards folks go out first next time. Any time you want to paddle, hit me up!
Shawn

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
Addapost, sorry I didn't introduce myself as exetersup this weekend. I was on a blue Boga raceboard, with a Patriots hat on. I think you and I were close for most of the race? I was wearing headphones, so couldn't talk/hear much. I just remember shouting "watch out" a few times when the double rowing sculls were on the attack. Did you get knocked off? I was right next to that woman who got her legs swept out from under her, right around the first mile.
Anyways, what a great race! Conditions were sweet. Would be nice to see the backwards folks go out first next time. Any time you want to paddle, hit me up!
Shawn

Hey Shawn,
Yep that was me, right behind you for most of the race. Once we got around the island, into the headwind, you took off strong, nice work! I totally agree about the start order. Those skulls were friggin scary. I saw the girl, Allison, get hit and go in. I spoke to her after and she was a little shaken but fine. I did not get hit but one ALMOST got me. Just out of the corner of my eye I saw the nose ball of a skull come up fast about two feet off my rail. I screamed, "hey". They quickly laid their oars against their boat and slid past me. "Whoops" was the look on their faces.
Let's definitely paddle. I want to get a group together for some DW this summer. Take care.
Bunch of old shit

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
Good work fellas. I love that race, such a beautiful area.

Jim, I still plan on doing a downwinder to the Block at some point. Maybe this summer, maybe next.

Shawn, how'd you like the new Boga design?

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
blue Boga raceboard, with a Patriots hat on.

Shawn, heard you were going to run an iSUP -- but it was found to be be under-inflated??
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Spook- bahahaha! you a funny guy.

Kaya- I raced the Boga stock 14. AWESOME! Love it! Not too heavy for a stock board, and the design is fast. It still comes down to the motor in the end, which is why Travis Grant kicked everyone's ass on a 14, including the 4-5 sups that were 18'.

Addapost- are you doing the Supathon in Welfleet in June? I'll be there. Hope we score waves again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard