Author Topic: Downwinding safety.  (Read 34263 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwinding safety.
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments.. support and understanding of all this.. I was just about to delete my video files off my computer and decided to throw a little humor this.. Yeah.. I know it's not a laughing matter but still.  ;D

There's no doubt that if I had paddle long and hard enough to get beck for my leash I could have.. But like I said before I was conserned about my DW buddy getting blown out because I could see she was having trouble holding her possition and if you stopped paddling for a second to rest you went backwards fast.. She was so surprised when I said lets just go without it but the truth is I felt really bad putting her through this knee paddling against the strong wind through no fault of hers..

If I had my time over I would not take this risk.. Specially concidering the very bad possition that I put her in for both chasing down my board.. and having to swim after losing both.. For me that's the worst part about all this.. Thinking about her in the drink in those wild conditions and the concern that she had both worrying about me but also my board and cameras.. I still feel really bad about that..

So.. Never.. Ever.. Attempt a DWer without a leash.. I was very lucky this time.. and I deserve any criticism that I might get about this incident.. I can only hope that posting these vids can turn a negative into a positive by others realising how dagerous DWing can be and its not the place to be taking risks..

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:33:21 PM by DavidJohn »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
Could be your best music ever.   ;D

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments.. support and understanding of all this.. I was just about to delete my video files off my computer and decided to throw a little humor this.. Yeah.. I know it's not a laughing matter but still.  ;D

Life is too damn short to not look at everything with a good sense of humor. That music is freakin' perfection! Love it!  ;D ;D ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:28 PM »
It's a superb video, DJ. Anyone who watches it is going to be much more thoughtful about their use of leashes next time, so you've done us all a big favour. To my mind, you are now the author of the two most important posts on a SUP forum ever.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:52 AM »
Great video. I will be famous.

supthecreek

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »
Best yet!
The music positioning was perfect..... "we're all gonna die"  ;D ;D ;D

That video told the story!

Could go viral.....

Since they carried the board by your GoPro mount, it must be pretty sturdy.

Did anyone call the beach patrol to be on the look out for a gaggle of SUPless SUPr's?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
DW safety.  All we need to do is send these threads to anyone contemplating going.  Can appreciate your concern and comments about your friend as that was important.  Fleshing out the start helped as you could have made it back to the beach - but she would have tired herself out waiting.  Losing her on top of it - trying to get your board would have been so completely tragic.

So it seems best in that circumstance to both lie prone on the Glide and make your way to your Javelin.

New DW paddlers do get excited of the thought of surfing fun as seen in these videos but often are not aware that it takes a different skill set than flat water paddling.  Sometimes if they are lucky they will just get dunked in a few times on an easy DW then think maybe they need more practice before trying again.

Being out in exposed conditions in a stiff breeze with steep chop is not fun if the buddy or group is not prepared or experienced.  A little adventure can become downright dangerous and silly.

The music and story was perfect.  DW in breeze requires ocean savvy and smarts as it can get really risky - one does need to manage the risk and know their limits.   Be safe.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
Thanks for posting these videos DJ.  Really shows how fast it can go wrong. 

It seems your friend didn't appreciate the seriousness of her situation when she first went off the board - holding on to her paddle, swimming calmly, and even going back for her paddle when it didn't seem the board was that far off.  Imagine she will swim with more urgency if it ever happens to her again!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »
Just wish cam was still running when you two swam up.  Aside from leash issue, what's really important is to ditch the paddle immediately while swimming for the board, like DJ did.  If the gal had done the same thing she would have captured the board.  Board is top priority.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
This should be required viewing for newbies. Thanks DJ.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
Interesting that I was just reading about the Tillamook Burn, which happened here on the other side of the world, after hearing it mentioned on song lyrics for DJ's downwinder in Australia.  Maybe not surprising, though, because I discovered several songs that have become favorites by first hearing them on DJ's videos.  I still think of "Boys Round Here" by Blake Shelton as an Australian downwinding song.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:43:02 PM by pdxmike »

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Glad you're ok, and great footage. I've been sharing it with my students. Curious how your camera is rigged? Like many we were in Hood River during the recently incident, tragic situation. Friends out at that time spoke or board flying over their heads like a leaf flipping after falls. 

Per towing, consider a tow system which allows you to keep your leash on while towing someone while still in conditions. Companies like NRS, NorthWater and Kokatat have a few options. We always have them in big water and in lessons. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
I just tried to watch your new video but it says "Private Video"
Can you make it public or send the password please?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
I just tried to watch your new video but it says "Private Video"
Can you make it public or send the password please?

Done.. btw there are a few different versions now..

I was under pressure to delete them from people hassling me about things like.. setting a bad example.. and if the authorities see it and change the law here [about pfd's etc] it will be all my fault.

I don't agree.. and think the more people see it the better.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
Your vids have been doing the rounds in Scotland, England and Ireland......yes some initial " what the hell was he thinking" comments but coupled with the death of the young guy at the Gorge it has sparked a good safety debate. The end result is overwhelmingly and most definitely better safety awareness.

One guy who takes downwind clinics is using your vid as part of his class....he says it really gets people thinking. Hope that puts your mind at rest.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:17:32 PM by coldsup »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal