Author Topic: Deck Area Loose Against the Foam  (Read 1951 times)

Montster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Deck Area Loose Against the Foam
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
I have a fixer upper that I have discovered a new concern.

If you push down on the flat section you stand on of the deck area you can notice the glass is loose and not bonded to the foam. It has a little bounce to it. I would assume this is a result of over pressurization from being left in the sun. The bottom and other areas seem to be tight to the foam core.

I can be sure the bending stiffness of the board is impacted. Is the impact enough to be off concern? If there a fix? Removal of deck pad, Holes drilled and epoxy pumped in and then re-glass the holes. Other better options? or just go paddle it and find out what happens?

Is there a good sup/board repair guy in eastern half of Virginia?

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deck Area Loose Against the Foam
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
How big an area are we talking about?  The foot sized area where one always stands on a flatwater board, or is this a bigger board with a larger area of delam?

Injecting resin and adding weight can work in small areas, but vacuum is better for a large area.  If you are doing this kind of work and the board gets hot and has no vent, maybe adding a goretex vent might be a good idea as part of the same job.  I have a 12 year old well used waveboard (windsurfer) where I found out my delam was because the core was dried and chalky after years of punishment.  There's only so much you can do if the core is shot.  I doubt many SUP's take the same kind of pounding, but they are made lighter.

Peter

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
edit - same thing got posted twice - can I delete a post?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
Surf it till it dies.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »
Delmas are hard to fix generally, that's what Pono is getting at .

I've decided not to address the ones on my longboard since fixes would destroy the paint. I'll surf it til it leaks and then hang it on the wall.

Some do the glue down method, people cut and flatten them out and a lot of folks reglass the whole thing but in the end is less you're re-doing the whole section, it might happen again.

I think it's all about the life left in the board and whether it's a surfboard or a piece of art. I own both. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
Exactly. My delamed, much loved Kenny Tilton longboard hangs in my garage. If I wanted to surf a longboard I'd probably take it out and punish it some more, and then hang it back up. I've tried most of the "cures" for delam, the only one that I think might work is peeling off the skin and reglassing the whole board, like folks did when Grubby killed the blank market.

For the most part, ignore it until it leaks. You can put a deck pad on it if it's where you stand and make it last a long time. I did that with my old JL 11er.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal