Author Topic: First Video: Allwave First-y - Flatwater  (Read 3196 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
First Video: Allwave First-y - Flatwater
« on: May 10, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »
Hi All:  Well finally got a video together....its my first session (flatwater) on the Allwave I picked up last month from JimK  (Thanks Jim!).

Its taken me a couple of weeks to get the video together as its my first attempt with my GoPro....and my first ever Mac (thanks to my PC recently going Tango Uniform!).  I'm a hack guitar player and decided to try playing lead guitar to a Hank Marvin backing track.....there are several clams in the lead but it was fun also trying to figure out navigating the Mac's Garageband software.

Since this session I've got several more hours on the board in the very near waters but CAN'T WAIT to get up to RI and down the MD coastline for some surf!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBQimkVCeY

Open to any/all constructive criticism. 

;)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

Re: First Video: Allwave First-y - Flatwater
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
Whatsup!
Congratulations on the Allwave purchase.

Always fun to watch your first moments on a downsize.... you took to the drop easily.

You picked it up correctly, your feet were too far back.... on both boards. Move a bit forward till you find the sweet spot, it will not turn so quickly.

I paddled my Allwaves  on one side 80% of the time, they will track really straight with a little practice.

Where it will shine most is on the waves.... you will love how easily it turns and in chop, you will find it much more stable than your 11 footer.

Enjoy ;D

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Thanks Creek...Very helpful!  I think I've probably long been guilty of standing aft of the neutral (hand hold) position on any board I've ever been on (which isn't a lot - but still).  Now makes a lot of sense given some smallest waves passing underneath me on the 11' NSP last summer!  I think I may be overly compensating for not wanting to pearl a board.....now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever done that on a SUP, but certainly plenty of times on a surfboard.  Point to self: must work on standing farther forward!   Thanks!!!!   
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
Nice guitar playing too!

The rocker on the nose of your Allwave will work in your favor against pearling.  I have the older 9'6" model and I've pearled plenty of times and a lot of times that nose will just pop right out of the water and you are right back in the game.  You'll be surprised at what a difference it makes.  So move forward, you'll catch more waves and have more fun.  Go a little bit at a time until you find your comfort zone.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
Thanks D-Bait! 

I've watched a bunch of vid's (especially Creek's and David Johns) and its VERY apparent at many instances in these and others' videos where their standing in the neutral position with toes forward of the neutral zone and even when riding a wave I see left feet (regular stance vice goofy) are forward of the hand hold....really interesting...I gotta move forward!  Will mess around more this week on flatwater.   Will likely make first surf pilgrimage later this month after high school graduation's and Memorial Day!  I'm so chopping at the bit!!!!! 
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Glad your enjoying your new board Wait till you get it in surf that is where the AW really shines

Waiting for next video

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »
Nice guitarin'! Nice edit too....David John style.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
You may have been just a little far back for flatwater paddling, but once you catch a wave, that's the position for riding it.  You are just anticipating surfing! 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
Oar-on sighting...
Ralph