Author Topic: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules  (Read 28649 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Forget the Greenroom for the 43" wide 4 oz S cloth. I got erroneous information yesterday. I just spoke to the main guy there and he said they only sell full rolls which are $1000+. Sorry about that.

One interesting thing he told me is that they glass all of their sups with double 4 oz S top and bottom with a 6 oz deck patch plus footballs around the fin boxes. (I forgot to ask him if the deck patch was S or E but I'm assuming it was S.) I asked him how well they hold up and he said they are really strong and they have to be because those boards go to a rental place down south. They don't vacuum bag them either.

Oh man, thanks for the greenroom hookup.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:05:54 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
They may be using 2# EPS too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
My first Rawson custom was with 2.0 foam, stringer, regular unleaded cloth,  664 64, great board that was flexible and absolutely BULLETPROOF..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
I'm not totally clear on how you do this but I just started a new thread asking if people are glassing 28"+ wide sup's with cloth that's only 27" to 30" wide here http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27268.0.html

I've only just run them straight down the middle and added the runner which lapped both sides evenly. It's only the mid section that doesn't get the lap. The front and back 1/4 length of the board gets a full lap even with the narrower fabric. I was suggesting the off-set as I think it might turn out cleaner. Layering an bunch of rail pieces just adds more steps and more laps to clean up. I mean more sanding and time too..... The next board I'm glassing is a 23" wide longboard so I won't have to deal with that issue, but I've been thinking about a better way to deal with the narrower fabric on SUP for a while. I'm wondering what others have done to deal with this?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
Fiberglass Hawaii has 44" 4oz S glass and 38" 6oz E. Thus my plan for glassing 6-6-4 top.

No need to lap it over.

For my blocks I did 1x3 pine blocks in 11" and then 5.5" so I can use a sheet of sandpaper efficiently. I glue these down with spray cement.

I have 2 or 3 mid density foam ones that I just wrap the paper on those generally as it sticks. I need a sheet of screen for the rough in to put under a soft foam pad to just take off the ridges lightly.

I get tons of hard drives shipped to me for work so I just pull the various packing foams. But a trip to a foam supply will get you tons of off cuts for free or a couple of bucks.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
Thanks for mentioning Fiberglass Hawaii because I forgot all about them.

Why are you going to use such wide cloth if you aren't going to wrap it around the rail?

The foam you're using for the sanding blocks is foam rubber, right?

Fiberglass Hawaii has 44" 4oz S glass and 38" 6oz E. Thus my plan for glassing 6-6-4 top.

No need to lap it over.

For my blocks I did 1x3 pine blocks in 11" and then 5.5" so I can use a sheet of sandpaper efficiently. I glue these down with spray cement.

I have 2 or 3 mid density foam ones that I just wrap the paper on those generally as it sticks. I need a sheet of screen for the rough in to put under a soft foam pad to just take off the ridges lightly.

I get tons of hard drives shipped to me for work so I just pull the various packing foams. But a trip to a foam supply will get you tons of off cuts for free or a couple of bucks.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
I'm just buying what I can get. I'm gonna wrap all the layers except the deck and fin patches most likely.

I started with 220 screen but it was snagging and tearing. I moved to a sheet of 220 wrapped on a 4x9" piece of foam rubber (couch cushion type) that was good. But for the initial cut down, once I started getting the feel, I went to a 150 grit for the initial knock down. I'll finish it off with 220 or 320 before spackle.

I'm going slow so it's gonna take a few hours to finish it, whereas a pro would knock this out in an hour. But I'm having a ball so far. I'll start a build thread in a day or so when some photos build up.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
Screens are really for doing rails and they take off a lot more than you think. Timmy Patterson showed me how to finishes a board that he got back from a CNC. He goes over the top and bottom with an 8" disc sander with the yellow soft pad. I think he had a 180 pad to start. That's what I've been using. Then he has another 8" yellow soft sanding disc he just holds with his hand. He also has a soft rectangular sanding pad that he does the rails and sharp contours with. He uses a micro plane to get the stringer down. He likes to get them below the foam line because the stringer will swell a little when you put epoxy on it. It took him about 20 minutes to detail one of his short boards. Timmy's a second generation shaper and has it down to a science.   
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
I'll get some photos and a proper build thread going but TD, I'd say an SUP, if you got it dialed might take an hour or two.

I took about 6-8 hours but I was studying and moving super slow all by hand and no aggressive grits. The next one will be less than half that. I avoided power tools but even manual I can get it down to a couple hours. If you know the shape, it's faster but I was finding the shape on this one.

I used 120-150 grit on a soft foam pad then follow it up with 220. If something was gonna be flat, I finished it with an 11" wood block to get it dead flat. I learned my lesson on the hand planes. No dips or lumps allowed!

The concaves were weird but not that big of a deal. The rails leave a lot of room to mess up. I was trying not to ruin the really well shaped blank I had by being ham handed with the paper.

It was super fun all in all and yeah next time adding some power tools in, with care, will take it way down. The deck could be done in minutes. I'm having a ball. I wanna do a hand shape prone board now.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
Have you found a cheaper source for the round soft yellow pads or will I have to bite the bullet and spend $30+ on one?

Did Patterson use dense foam for his soft rectangular shaped sanding pad that looks like an egg-crate on the side you hold?

He goes over the top and bottom with an 8" disc sander with the yellow soft pad. I think he had a 180 pad to start. That's what I've been using. Then he has another 8" yellow soft sanding disc he just holds with his hand. He also has a soft rectangular sanding pad that he does the rails and sharp contours with.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
surfcowboy - This might be too late for you but Greenlight has a 20% off sale now until Sunday.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
Have you found a cheaper source for the round soft yellow pads or will I have to bite the bullet and spend $30+ on one?

Did Patterson use dense foam for his soft rectangular shaped sanding pad that looks like an egg-crate on the side you hold?

He goes over the top and bottom with an 8" disc sander with the yellow soft pad. I think he had a 180 pad to start. That's what I've been using. Then he has another 8" yellow soft sanding disc he just holds with his hand. He also has a soft rectangular sanding pad that he does the rails and sharp contours with.
I don't remember exactly. It was probably 3 years ago. He's my neighbor, so I'll ask him next time I see him.
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Glass all ordered.

Deck will be:

6oz 38" E glass X 2

4oz 30" S glass X1

Bottom will be:

6oz 38" E glass X 1

4oz 30" S glass X1

I'm going to not get full rail wraps but I couldn't easily find bigger 4oz S. I'm fine with it.

There will be a stripe of carbon tape down the deck and bottom for stiffness and I'll see how I feel about the tail rail but I'm strongly considering leaving them plain just to see what the flex is like. I can always add it later and cover it with some 2oz or something. This board is an experiment.

Hoping to glass this weekend, we will see, depending on how good the surf is.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Pics, cowboy, pics! Sounds very cool! I think everybody on here has more patience and pays more attention to detail than I do. Good inspiration! Pics! Let's see em'! You've been teasing us too long! And definitely a strong enough board. Have I said it yet?  Pics, cowboy, pics!

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »
Sorry, I forgot  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal