Author Topic: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules  (Read 28660 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
I'm not sure about the order of layup. I'd guess the smoother 4 oz on top to make the fill coat less thick.

You guessed right....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »
Look what showed up here today from the boys at Marko.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 04:24:50 AM »
Kuhl! So Bruddah have you decided on your glassing schedule et cetera et cetera! Inquiring minds want to know!

I went with  6 4 4 and 4 4  on my last custom..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 07:49:37 AM »
Thanks.

If I was to use 4 oz S cloth only, how many layers top and bottom would you recommend on a 7' to 8'-6" long stringerless sup built with 1.5 lb EPS?

I'm not sure about the order of layup. I'd guess the smoother 4 oz on top to make the fill coat less thick.

You guessed right....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:09:25 AM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:05:03 AM »
surfcowboy - I couldn't find 4 oz S cloth anywhere local that was wide enough but I found some 43" wide S Aerialite at Greenroom and Fiberglass Supply. The stuff at Greenroom is a deal at only $8.60 per yard plus shipping.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
Look what showed up here today from the boys at Marko.

You could have paid for more passes and it would have come out a little finer. Marko bought that CNC of a friend of mine years ago. It's does the job, but it's pretty outdated. I've had them cut a number of boards for me, and you have some detail sanding to do. Use a soft foam with some 80 grit and go very light with it. Then 120 grit and so on.
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Oh man, thanks for the greenroom hookup. I thought you were saying he only stocked resin.

Big, I'm thinking that it will be 6-6-4 on top (w small extra 4 deck patch) and 6-4 on bottom with a fin patch for the quads.  I am still 50/50 on going all 4oz. This may be all wrong but the extra thickness/resin "feels" better in my mind but that may be misleading.

A carbon strip on both sides to stiffen it up. It's looking like S4 and E6 unless I can source the S6.  I'm checking all around. I can see that eventually as my skills come up I'll want to do carbon rails and such on these thinner boards (due to my size) but I'm not doing that on this one.

The tail is super thin and I want some strength back there. I'll post up the blank dims when I start my months long build thread. Lol.

Most likely going to be a 5 box ProBox install.

It's super exciting to just have the thing in my garage and get to geek out and measure it. I'll start sanding this weekend.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
TD, I noticed. It's actually kinda fun for this one but yes, it's rough. It'll also be good for Instagram shots of me sanding it down so I look like a hipster. ;)

I made 6 new sanding blocks last week in prep and yeah on the handplanes I learned that less is more on sanding foam! Spend a lot more time looking and planning than sanding.

I am fascinated by sending a file and getting back a "thing." it's amazing.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »
Jason Hendricks is just a west coast rep for Greenroom resin only. You will need to contact the main company on the east coast for the cloth.

Oh man, thanks for the greenroom hookup. I thought you were saying he only stocked resin.

Big, I'm thinking that it will be 6-6-4 on top (w small extra 4 deck patch) and 6-4 on bottom with a fin patch for the quads.  I am still 50/50 on going all 4oz. This may be all wrong but the extra thickness/resin "feels" better in my mind but that may be misleading.

A carbon strip on both sides to stiffen it up. It's looking like S4 and E6 unless I can source the S6.  I'm checking all around. I can see that eventually as my skills come up I'll want to do carbon rails and such on these thinner boards (due to my size) but I'm not doing that on this one.

The tail is super thin and I want some strength back there. I'll post up the blank dims when I start my months long build thread. Lol.

Most likely going to be a 5 box ProBox install.

It's super exciting to just have the thing in my garage and get to geek out and measure it. I'll start sanding this weekend.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
How did you make your sanding blocks? Did you make any with foam backing?

I made 6 new sanding blocks last week in prep

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
As for a local supplier of S glass, there are a few. The problem lies in the width. The 38" wide S  is usually an 8oz cloth. The 6oz S is 30" cloth and the 4oz S is 27". If you want widths that are less popular (if you can find them) you'll be having it shipped from somewhere? Obviously the SUP widths are a problem. You can off-set your layers then do an extra runner on just the rails. 
Here are a few local suppliers I use:
Coastal Composites (626) 930-1111  (Eric in sales) I buy CF and 2oz E glass from them. Call them about S glass.
Bashams surf shop  (949) 361-2203  (Brad in the surf getto) I buy my resins, E glass and fin boxes here.

Here's a place in your neck of the woods:
http://www.fiberglasssource.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=340

BTW,
anyone wanting to stay with the trends  ::)  http://www.fiberglasssource.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1094
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:56:45 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
Fiberglass source/Surf supply is one of my go to places so I called them yesterday and they don't have the wide stuff. Thanks for the other contacts. I will call them.

When you say you can "off-set" your layers, are you saying you can lay two pieces on the board with the 43" wide part going fore and aft so there will be a seam where the two layers overlap?

As for a local supplier of S glass, there are a few. The problem lies in the width. The 38" wide S  is usually an 8oz cloth. The 6oz S is 30" cloth and the 4oz S is 27". If you want widths that are less popular (if you can find them) you'll be having it shipped from somewhere? Obviously the SUP widths are a problem. You can off-set your layers then do an extra runner on just the rails. 
Here are a few local suppliers I use:
Coastal Composites (626) 930-1111  (Eric in sales) I buy CF and 2oz E glass from them. Call them about S glass.
Bashams surf shop  (949) 361-2203  (Brad in the surf getto) I buy my resins, E glass and fin boxes here.

Here's a place in your neck of the woods:
http://www.fiberglasssource.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=340

BTW,
anyone wanting to stay with the trends  ::)  http://www.fiberglasssource.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1094
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:13:59 AM by magentawave »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
One full length that hangs and wraps down one rail and one full length that hangs and wraps the other rail. Same on the top. Then add a runner along the rails that laps both sides all the way to the offset. The nose and tail rails will end up with a full extra layer.

BTW, I'm talking about when using the 27" and 30" widths. If you have 43"you'll have a bit of waste. Wastes even more epoxy if you're wet tabling it. Might want to cut it narrower first?

I might add, you got to be careful squeegee'g the fabric when you don't have two rails to keep it tight. If you get a pull or wrinkle while you're squeegee'g it out it sucks. You more than likely won't have a problem if you wet table it. The wet tabled fabric goes on almost pre-preg dry. You usually have a few dry spots you have to pour a little epoxy on while you squeegee it out. If you wet the fabric right on the board, the fabric will kind of float. This is where you'll run into lap problems. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:45:24 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
Interesting. I just spoke to Eric at Coastal Composites and he said he sells tons of the 27" and 30" wide cloth to SUP guys so maybe they are doing what you described??

How wide would you make the "runner" and would the runner overlap the rail on the deck and the rail on the bottom equally?

One full length that hangs and wraps down one rail and one full length that hangs and wraps the other rail. Same on the top. Then add a runner along the rails that laps both sides all the way to the offset. The nose and tail rails will end up with a full extra layer.

BTW, I'm talking about when using the 27" and 30" widths. If you have 43"you'll have a bit of waste. Wastes even more epoxy if you're wet tabling it. Might want to cut it narrower first?

I might add, you got to be careful squeegee'g the fabric when you don't have two rails to keep it tight. If you get a pull or wrinkle while you're squeegee'g it out it sucks. You more than likely won't have a problem if you wet table it. The wet tabled fabric goes on almost pre-preg dry. You usually have a few dry spots you have to pour a little epoxy on while you squeegee it out. If you wet the fabric right on the board, the fabric will kind of float. This is where you'll run into lap problems.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I've only just run them straight down the middle and added the runner which lapped both sides evenly. It's only the mid section that doesn't get the lap. The front and back 1/4 length of the board gets a full lap even with the narrower fabric. I was suggesting the off-set as I think it might turn out cleaner. Layering an bunch of rail pieces just adds more steps and more laps to clean up. I mean more sanding and time too..... The next board I'm glassing is a 23" wide longboard so I won't have to deal with that issue, but I've been thinking about a better way to deal with the narrower fabric on SUP for a while. I'm wondering what others have done to deal with this?
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal