Author Topic: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules  (Read 28661 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
Ok, so blank is being cut gathering materials now and need to talk glass.

I'm hoping that these threads as I build this board can serve as easy ways for other newbs to find info on SUP construction as it's hard to get clear info on other surf forums without being subjected to hassles about building a standup.  (Im trying to make sure the threads have clear, searchable subjects.)

I'm doing EPS and Epoxy on a 7'6" X 29" surf SUP, for those keeping score.

The classic is single 6oz bottom with dual 6 top. I'm leaning towards this as a base.

I've heard some folks say dual 4oz bottom and then 3 layers of 4oz on top.

I can see how that might be a stronger layup but the glass seems harder to get in a backyard quantity.

Extra points, do I need a 4 oz deck patch and fin patch? I'm thinking so as I value a bullet proof board over absolute lightness.

I'd love feedback from the guys on here as to what are your favorites from light to bulletproof for a surf SUP.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Let's talk lay ups. Glassing Schedules
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »
You have to tell everyone the density of the eps.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:30:16 PM »
I'm using 1.2 lb eps. It's called S100 here and is stock builders insulation.  Very soft.
Used it to build a 10-6"  race "board for my boy. It has 3 layers on bottom,  ( rock hits) 165g+200g+200g. And 3 on deck. Plus a standing area with 3mm high density corecell that has layer of 165 under it. ( kids jumping on it, falling on knees when plowing into rocks). Plus I have 100mm wide 200g Uni-d carbon strip each side under glass.
Whole thing almost final painted and it seems pretty strong. Has 6 layers over rails. 
It's not that heavy. Have not weighed it yet.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 02:04:03 AM »
Jimmy Lewis had a great series on construction on his facebook page recently.

He uses 6 6 4 top and bottom on all sups that he shapes by hand.

I ask for 6 4 4 and 6 4 on my customs. Had an ESA contest destructo board  single 6 single 4 old school epoxy blank shaped by Greg Lohr in the eighties. Super light - FRAGILE. Amazing performance but not a daily driver..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 05:11:47 AM »
For that size board, s-glass plus a cf deck patch might make sense.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:32:05 AM »
Thanks guys. It's 1.5lb Marko foam.

Bean I knew S was gonna come up. I've spoken to DW about it but it seems I'd have to source it from the East Coast which seems crazy. I guess I need to call some folks and see if they just don't list it on their sites. (I'm not buying a roll.)

Big 6-6-4 and 6-4 seems like a pretty solid board. I'd wrap all the 6 and the 4 would probably end at the rail (it's 30" around here mostly.)

I also need to call a buddy who glasses for a living, he might have a wide roll of 4 oz that he could sell me a few yards off of.

This is my first non-production/Cobra board and while I'm a lot easier on boards now, I don't wanna have to baby this one much. As long as I'm not sloppy, most anything will be much lighter than my 26lb factory board but that sandwich was nice for bumps and scrapes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:35:43 AM by surfcowboy »

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
Fiberglass Supply now carries 44" 4oz Sglass, I believe.  Problem with so wide is you have a lot of waste...but that could go for deck patch, fin patch, you just might have to piece a little. I think you'll want a deck patch.  I don't have power surf so I do 2 1/2 (two full wrap layers and one full wrap that goes to 7-8" in front of handle) layers of 4oz S on top and two layers of the same on bottom, plus a fin patch area.  I also do a deck patch extra after the 2 1/2 layers. And I use 2lb EPS.  Boards seem light and strong to me. I've been using 14oz Sglass for the deck patch. It's 50" wide so I just use the full width and cut it as wide as the deck. Heavier of course than CF but I have it and it does the trick and I don't really notice the weight difference. 

I have a bunch of off cuts of 4oz S that are around 8" wide and 8' long that I'd be happy to mail you a couple for deck patch, fin patch, whatever. Or if you'd like a 14 oz S deck patch I could mail that also, free of charge.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
Assuming you're not going to bag this, you should consider wetting out the glass on a flat surface. That lets you get away with a lot heavier layup without turning the board into a heavy slug. I've been experimenting with doing all layers for a side simultaneously this way, aiming at 35% resin volume by weight. With the glass layers on a flat surface you can get the layers to incorporate smoothly without distorting the weave. I use a rubber roller to get all the air bubbles out, working from the middle out with each layer. Lay black plastic on top of the last layer. fold lightly back in half, then half again. Carry to the board, place it on the last fourth of the board, unfold, remove plastic, squeegee.

Yeah, I know, it's not the normal way, but I like the end result and you can be pretty accurate with the resin percentage. 

If I was going to all the trouble of building my own board I'd use S-glass for sure.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
Everyone is right about the S and if Fibreglass Hawaii has it, that's relatively easy then.

Should I still do some 6 oz and just put the S 4 oz over it or go 3 layers of 4oz up top and 2 on bottom. (I'm still thinking deck patch too. )

I think the JL 6,6,4 and 6,4 sounds solid. Pono, I took the table discussion over to a thread. You and DW's stuff needs to be shared unadulterated.

surfinib

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
Try Jason Hendricks of Greenroom Board Co for the wide 4oz S cloth here in Cali. He had some late last year when I last talked to him. He is the West Coast distributor for the same company that DW uses. His pricing was the best I found. Jason@greenroomboardco.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Actually it's DW's ideas, with a little stuff I added (the plastic sheet) from making CF race parts. When I need a big, flat piece of carbon sheet I put plastic over a piece of polished granite (I have tons of it, my shop used to be a granite and marble cutting outfit), wet out the plastic, put on a layer, wet out, then roll and repeat until I have the thickness I want. I only mix enough epoxy to make 40 percent by weight. Then lay on a sheet of glass, and a heavy piece of polished granite. The end result is flat, shiny, smooth, and strong as hell. Nothing to do with surfboards, of course.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
When you guys suggest 6+6+4 on the deck, does it matter where the 4 oz goes? (Against the foam, sandwiched between the two layers of 6, or the top/outside layer?)  Also, do you cover the entire deck with the three layers?

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
I just went all the way back to August 2014 on JL's FB page and couldn't find that series on construction. Do you think you saw it somewhere else?

Jimmy Lewis had a great series on construction on his facebook page recently.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
I just spoke to Jason and the only thing he inventories now is the Greenroom resin.

Try Jason Hendricks of Greenroom Board Co for the wide 4oz S cloth here in Cali. He had some late last year when I last talked to him. He is the West Coast distributor for the same company that DW uses. His pricing was the best I found. Jason@greenroomboardco.com

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »
I'm not sure about the order of layup. I'd guess the smoother 4 oz on top to make the fill coat less thick.

Thx for the info about green room.

I'll check with Fiberglass Hawaii for the bigger glass.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal