Author Topic: female surf  (Read 9418 times)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: female surf
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
It appears that you don't have readily access to a custom shaper thus is limited to production boards.  Of the four boards pictured, the first one at 110L is the best of the bunch even if at 110L you are about 15 to 20 liters more than you really needed (I'm at 63.5kg and I've no problem floating on my 7'8x27x4.25 91L board).

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Take a look at the Bic 8'6'' C-TEC Wave Pro.  I know I said no 'Pros', but in this case, the shape is much more user friendly and should work well for you. Just based on the specs, the volume is very low at 108l for a board of this size and the board weight at 18lbs is also great.  Bics also seem reasonable priced compared to the other top tier brands.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »

Yeah do not go 32 wide..that would nuts for your weight IMO.

Intuitively I am not super stoked on the high hips on the first board, but it'll probably work fine...I've been proven wrong by shapes before :-)  My feeling would be towards the skinnier 8'6'' for a more allround board, but it really comes down to what waves and water conditions are you are going for.

Are those 4 boards your choice?

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
Also, since these production boards were designed for the male surfers, if you can, go with the carbon fiber version instead of the heavier sandwich construction.

NEpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
yeah, i can get this boards in local shop. i also like the rrds. i really wanted  fanatic all wave, but just can't find good dealer here.

thank you for all advices, it is time to finally choose the right one. so first, third or the last?  ::) ::) should i go 8.5 as the waves are small or 7.11?

here is a picture of spot, just to get a feeling what "kind" of waves we have here.

thankyou!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
Wow, a kook knee paddling an inflatable.  Brings back memories.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
if that is your spot on a typical day of surf, I wouldn't get anything under 10'.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
If the picture depicts a typical day, then I'd recommend a long board style SUP in the 9'0x29 range.  However, if you are good, the Naish Hokua 7'10x32 or similar shape&size boards will also be good.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:08:34 AM by RATbeachrider »

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »
+1! the right longboard shape board will turn sharp! my 10 pin tail high performance longboard shape turns sharper then some if the wide short board style boards with the wide tail. looks like a longboard will be a better match and more fun for your conditions.

NEpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
most of the time is like that. there come "big" days like 3,4 times a month, but sadly, this is a typical day on this surf unfriendly part of the world. i know that sticking to longboard shape would be the best, but i decided to go shorter anyway as we also sometimes surf here with a surfboard with friends - so i believe that riding something like 8.0 will still be possible.
i've made a "compromise", short one (7'11-8'0) for big days, surf trip and for progression and a longboard type sup, but still bit shorter, narrower, thinner and lighter than my ex board (something about 9'.0-9'6max) for everything else.

NEpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
+1! the right longboard shape board will turn sharp! my 10 pin tail high performance longboard shape turns sharper then some if the wide short board style boards with the wide tail. looks like a longboard will be a better match and more fun for your conditions.

may i ask you, what board is that?  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »
+5 on a longer board. You might just peruse the local used market and pick up anything in the 8'6" to 9'6" range. I don't think your problem is board size, it's probably the nature of the board you were riding, or maybe fin size and placement.  Maybe see if Bob will part with his old C4. You'll want something stable and long to play and have fun in that chopped up stuff but that still turns well and sets a rail. I had a great time with Bob's 10'4" Foote in similar conditions when I visited last week. Of course I'm a lot heavier, and you wouldn't need quite that length or width, but it's great to have a board that works with you and boosts your confidence. Stability is the first consideration for that, and wave catching ability is next--even if you are ready to progress. And incidentally, progressing doesn't exclusively mean shorter boards. I surf a lot more aggressively on my 10'4" Foote than I do on my 9.0 or 8'8" L41.

All the performance stuff comes way down the list. If you get something cheap and fun that can turn well, you won't struggle and you'll have a steep learning curve. While we were surfing last week there was a guy out on a new high performance board that he'd moved up to. He could barely stand on it, never mind catch waves. He swapped with a more experienced surfer and rode his bigger longboard-style board quite well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:17:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
even people at beach u see i let people try my beds. all the time.

Very personal info.  ;D
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
many people suggested me sunova, but here in EU we do not have it's dealers..

when i catch the wave i try to carve,turn.. but my board was very irresponsible, as i'm a 55kg, and it was 9.8 allrounder/windsup board with thick rails (5 1/6). i was struggling to move that huge and heavy thing (15kg) when i was on the wave. it wasn't impossible, but it was very unpleasant and slowly i was bored because i couldn't progress with it. only good thing of my ex board was stability and the possibility of catching even the smallest wave because of its length.

i surf 1m+ few times a month, when the conditions are "proper" here (this happens mostly on strong wind days). but sometimes i just "surf" 50cm waves (if i can call it waves…) at home spot, which come more often.

Yeah, I'm irresponsible too.  Causes me a lot of problems.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal