Author Topic: Serious DW footage  (Read 5018 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Serious DW footage
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:27:56 PM »
Perhaps we may have had even better bigger conditions for the SUP race on saturday but this is the video they cut loose with first .... from sunday with OCs.  It's fantastic.  Downwind racing at its best.

http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/big-finishes-at-the-olukai-hoʻolauleʻa-outrigger-canoe-races/

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serious DW footage
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:21 PM »
There's a 1080p option for this and the clarity really helps.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
That's some really cool footage from an awesome perspective. You can see how good it still was on Sunday, even though it was much less everything than the day of the standup race. We lucked out both days.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »
That looked like like incredible conditions.  So it was blowing harder for the stand ups on Saturday?
Must have been fun!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
Saturday's standup race had big, steep windswell that allowed for fast glides and lots of connections backed up with screaming wind. It's no wonder the times were so fast.

Sunday was good, solid Maliko but smaller swell and wind down a notch from Saturday. Still a very good day, just not the blasting, epic conditions that Saturday brought. Facebook - 808photome has tons of pictures and you can see how good it was.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »
Thanks Cove,
Great shots there.  Big difference between the swells for the two days.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:25 AM »
Nice video.... great perspective, it showed the bumps well. Glad to see the action so well.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:54:56 AM »
Very cool....loved the hand move at 1:35 to get the angle on the wave.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
Very cool....loved the hand move at 1:35 to get the angle on the wave.
Yeah Stoney, those good guys can tell immediately when their tail raises out of the water and they lose rudder control.  Then quick as, they do a move like that to maintain their line.  Bitchin huh?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
Great video. Probably a stupid question but I've never paddled a canoe... do paddlers with a longer reach ever hit the front iako when paddling? Or is it raised enough so that even if the blade crosses that line, it's below it?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
Great video. Probably a stupid question but I've never paddled a canoe... do paddlers with a longer reach ever hit the front iako when paddling? Or is it raised enough so that even if the blade crosses that line, it's below it?
For the most part I'd think no but on an OC-2 there is more potential for hitting the yako by the front man.  My pal covers his with a bike inner tube that also doubles to lash on extra paddle.  He took his wife out on sunday for the OC race and they tumbled on a wave.  They righted and continued on to the finish but before we were about to take it out yesterday, I suggested we inspect it carefully.  Sure as, both yakos were cracked at the bend before it enters the hull.  That woulda been a drag.  So we took them to get fixed and did a run on our stand ups which turned out to be very good. 

But back to your question, especially carbon yakos are vulnerable to paddle wack.  Good to protect them and check often.  Aluminum probably loses quite a bit of strength as well if dented.  I know we replaced any spars on our hang gliders if they were dented.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
I've never hit my front i'ako with the paddle. Maybe I'm not reaching enough!  ;D

I've bumped the ama a few times and you could really do some damage to the ama relatively easily since they're so light. My i'akos are aluminum and seem pretty indestructible. Pretty sure the boat is going to crack before a i'ako. Dents are a different matter but so far, so good. Carbon i'akos cracking, wow, never thought about that one!

Even though I've probably done more than 25 Malikos and at least that many downwinders on the south side in my boat, I still felt very much like the novice OC 1 guy that I am on Sunday. When you see the paddlers that are really experienced, there is a world of difference. They are so in tune with their boats, like the guy that used his hand to angle his boat in a half a second in the video. Really cool stuff. Lots of subtleties involved in paddling an OC. Going to take years to get good at it. The cool thing is that the journey is so fun.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
I've been wanting an OC1 for years.. I really really want one now..  :)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »

Yes, the front iako is raised and very far forward.  No chance of hitting it.   The ama is well within reach.  I used to whack the hell out of mine all the time.  All kinds of wild moves to keep the boat from going over in big wind.  Most guys put the rubber on a rear iako.  Some strap an extra paddle there.  After breaking 2, I began to carry an extra.  But I didn't want the extra weight out there so I rigged it behind me, parallel to the hull. 

I've been wanting an OC1 for years.. I really really want one now..  :)

Skis are even more fun.  Tons of reasons to go ski rather than outrigger. 

If you liked that video, you won't believe how fun boats truly are.  Video can't begin to relate what it's like down there close to the water.  It's really scary sometimes.  Very exciting.         
Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 01:45:17 AM »
To me, paddling an OC1 downwind feels a lot like go-carts felt when I was a kid.  You are right down there on the water so the sensation of speed is enhanced. The steering is instantaneous and the boat is super-responsive. So much so that you have to work very hard on being subtle and using a light touch on the rudder. Then there's the balancing and the speed you feel when you catch a glide and get the ama up. Never been in a ski but I imagine that all the stuff that is so fun and addicting in the OC is even more amplified in skis with no ama to drag along.

A little over a year ago, LPB took SB and I out on a rainy late Winter day. He got two really nice boats (OC1's) for us to use. We just paddled around, went out to the harbor mouth and then surfed the boats in along the harbor jetty. And we surfed 'em some more. After about 2 hours we went in.

Southbay and I were both hooked after that and we both ended up buying OC's within months. I know it's helped me to be a better standup paddler as well as providing a whole new water activity that I'm as stoked about as standup. Thanks again LPB!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal