Author Topic: Prowave fold repaired - thanks for your advice  (Read 7126 times)

supthecreek

Prowave fold repaired - thanks for your advice
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
My Prowave and I tangled with some nasty 6' shorebreak
It should have broken the board in 5 pieces after the board and I both took about 4 or 5 jacked up waves sucking into damp sand. I was stoked with how the board held up.
The rocker was not affected and there was just a crack around both rails and the deck,

I sanded down to clean foam and rebuilt according to the "Board Lady" (she's the ding goddess)

Done today.... bought the most appropriate stomp pad I could find and finished it off.

Here's some pics... very happy with the results. My digital scale is in the garage so I'll see how the weight looks tomorrow... still balanced and feels right.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Prowave fold repaired - thanks for your advice
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »
It's interesting the crack occurred on the top but not the bottom.  I would have guessed the opposite:  it would have cracked on the bottom first.

My neighbor took his innegra Prowave to Pleasure Point Santa Cruz and dive bombed it hard on the reef after just having it a couple of weeks.

He said he was sure the force would have broken any other board in two, it really hit hard, but the Prowave sustained just a few superficial cracks on it's nose, it was still watertight.

I  like my Vernor and it has lessons still to teach me, but the Vernor feels like I am surfing eggshell compared to the innegra Prowave. The Vernor is a gnarly, barnacled repair veteran after one year.

Beautiful repair.  Did it increase the weight at all?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:54:28 AM »
Cheat.... the crack happened right above the 2 rear quad boxes and the center finbox.... so the bottom had plenty of stiffness  and structural support in the area... I surfed on it for 2 hours after I cracked it, in OH nasty winter surf. (didn't know it was broken till I got out) It never took on water, even through many many leg pulls being stuck inside. I got 1 drop of water when I wrapped toilet paper around the crack.

Yowza!!!! Just weighed it w/ fins on the same digital shipping scale that I used doing my initial review:

It did NOT gain an ounce  ;D ;D ;D ;D

1st pic - original delivery weight
2nd pic - taken 5 minutes ago  ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:03:29 AM »
FYI Fanatic owners..... here's the paint I used.... perfect match!!!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »
Creek, that's great work.

Did you do any sanding on the paint? If so. Let me know what you did. I need to touch up a buddy's painted cobra board and it needs some paint.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »
Dude! :D

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Cowboy.... funny you should ask about the sanding... I grabbed some 320 wet & dry this morning to begin a "reduction series"  thru to 1500 for gloss.
I really didn't allow the paint 24 hrs to harden, so I ended taking it to thin without much effort. So a quick touch up then I went surfing on it  :o

I will repaint a bit in that spot, let it cure properly, then start with 1000 grit wet and dry first and see how that goes.
My painting technique is a work in progress  ;D

hopefully, someone here will have the correct info for you.

by the by... I painted it outside with winds of 25 mph. I'm not what you call patient or a model of proper repair conduct... but I DID get to surf it today... BEFORE the week long flat spell predicted to start tomorrow  ;)

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
Awesome job!  That was a great idea to just sand off the letters.  Big time saver.  I usually get bogged down in minutia and projects takes for ever.  Now you can say it's a 2016 factory prototype on loan.  Experimental white rail series.   Top secret.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
Ha ha... I never liked Fanatics garish logo theory anyway.
Surfboards did quite well for generations with ONE stylish small logo, usually centered on the deck.
Classics like Hobie, Weber, Jacobs, G&S, Velzy, Noll, Harbor, Bing, Hanson, Doyle .... the sooo stylish "Lightning Bolt" and Town & Country's "Ying/Yang swirl

Simple, meaningful, revered...... not SHOUTING, "in your face" endless product promo

If a board is worthwhile, people will seek it out, we don't need to be repeatedly beaten with it. IMHO  ;)

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Great post Creek. Thanks for sharing the fin box repair also. I hope I never have to do it, but at least I know what’s involved.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »
You should have made a video of the board with one of those billowing silk shrouds that blows off strategically in slow motion to show the beautiful repair.

There is a guy at Privates that has a Gerry Lopez Surf Music board with L41 stickers on it.  I did a double take and asked him what for?  He said he was passing Kirk's place, and Kirk offered to give some logo stickers and Kirk put them on his board. I guess they could be useful as rail tape.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
Great to see it all come together. Looks like a terrific repair. Maybe Roger B. will give you a gig!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »
if you replace the box make sure you get the same style as is in there, if its a windsurf style one like most starboards/fanatic use your fins won't fit without modifying. if its a windsurf one i like the chinook boxes if its a surf style one i go for the future one shot strong box.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 03:48:14 AM »
sorry posted the above in the wrong thread, great repair though mr creek

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Thanks UK.... it was your suggestions that I used when deciding how to approach it  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal