Author Topic: nutrition article in Stand Up Paddleboarding Magazine  (Read 7697 times)

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
nutrition article in Stand Up Paddleboarding Magazine
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »
Current issue features a story on good fats versus bad fats.  I am not sure what the authors background is in nutrition,  but at the beginning he cites lard as a bad fat.  Then he goes on and on about how lard comes from cows.  Hard to take anything the guy writes as fact after that porcine/bovine writing malfunction.  Apparently he operates an SUP lifestyle coaching business, which includes nutrition.  Holy cow! 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: nutrition article in Stand Up Paddleboarding Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
Just another reason why pigs hate self professed stand up paddle board experts......
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
I've noticed that almost all of their nutrition pieces are complete BS. They are really out of touch with any science or reality.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
especially strange in that beef fat--called suet or tallow--is about half monounsaturated fat--oleic acid--fundamentally the same fat in olive oil. It's actually pretty good for you.

Lard (pig fat) is probably better for you than butter or hydrogenated vegetable fat like Crisco. It's got one-fourth the saturated fat (bad) and more than twice the monounsaturated fat (good). Free-range pigs have lard that has a lot of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.

So not only is the guy wrong, he's wrong about what he was wrong about. That's wrong to the third power, also known as a cubic wrong.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:19 AM »
I long ago stopped looking at any of those SUP magazines, much of what's in 'em is just tripe.
Bunch of old shit

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »
As much as I hate the loss of traditional journalism, you are all reading and writing my SUP magazine here. Thanks for the info and entertainment.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
I'm not sure what magazine you're talking about, but if what you read was the article by Scott Estrada, I read the same and the word "lard" is never mentioned.  ???
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »
Standup Paddle Magazine, Volume 7, No. 1.  Page 26.  "Health with Scott Estrada"  "Good Fats, Bad Fats".  Subheading, "LARD (Commercial)."  "Consider the life of grain fed cattle. They're fed GMO contaminated grains, put in unsanitary conditions, and given antibiotics and synthetic hormones. The toxic load collects in their fat cells.  Lard is nutrient-poor and usually hydrogenated.  No, thanks."   I wasn't going to name the author but he is the Nutrition Coach for that publication.  Not that I would ever make any life decisions based on a magazine article.....

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Blame Lard.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
"Health with Scott Estrada"  "Good Fats, Bad Fats".  Subheading, "LARD (Commercial)."  "Consider the life of grain fed cattle.   I wasn't going to name the author but he is the Nutrition Coach for that publication. 

Corky Caroll was music columnist for Skateboarder Magazine. I think he's know for being an expert of some kind?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
The irony is, none of need to be told not to eat lard.  At least I hope not. 

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
Blame Lard
;D 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Blame Lard.
Oh man, that one is awesome.  I had to think about it for a minute. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
Blame Lard.
This will definitely go in the PDX response hall of fame.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
Standup Paddle Magazine, Volume 7, No. 1.  Page 26.  "Health with Scott Estrada"  "Good Fats, Bad Fats".  Subheading, "LARD (Commercial)."  "Consider the life of grain fed cattle. They're fed GMO contaminated grains, put in unsanitary conditions, and given antibiotics and synthetic hormones. The toxic load collects in their fat cells.  Lard is nutrient-poor and usually hydrogenated.  No, thanks."   I wasn't going to name the author but he is the Nutrition Coach for that publication.  Not that I would ever make any life decisions based on a magazine article.....

Interesting… I have "Samata" V2N1, and starting page 28 is "Tips: Scott Estrada," "Time for an Oil Change? The Truth About Fats and Your Health" and as I said, the word "lard" is never mentioned. I haven't read the SPM article so I can't even guess what's going on, but you can always ask Scott to explain: http://risesup.com/contact/ 
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal