Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Searcher  (Read 6350 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Jimmy Lewis Searcher
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:49:49 AM »
There isn't tons of stuff out there on the Searcher so I thought I would post this. I will add to it as I get out more.
I got my first day in yesterday on my home lake and first time out with my Searcher. I have wanted this board for a few years and finally pulled the trigger. I had also looked at the Great Bear and River Rover but this always was out in first. I load up crap for the day, almost always have fishing gear (there fish in the lake, why wouldn't I), and want something that allows me to do that.
I am 6'4" and 210 lbs today and I can say I made the right decision. This board is light for being a beast. Amazingly light and as easy or easier than any other board I have for myself to handle. The lines are killer and it doesn't feel corky like an inflatable can even tho it has more volume than my Hobie 12'6" Tour inflatable, Super stable first step on. Just perfect.  Wind was right in our face and went right into it with ease I didn't know could happen. Slick and slippery.... I made sure and did some turns across the wind and it just slid right over the chop without getting pushed. My crate stayed dry, and it was faster than......well it was pretty darn fast and super easy to paddle.
I have 3 or 4 other boards I am looking at (we are sick, arent' we) and thinking about dinking around with a sail tho I can see myself paddling more in the wind with this than I even thought about before.
If you are sitting on the fence about this board......don't worry. You will be pleased as punch.
I will definitley take better pictures of this but I can't quite figure out the picture shrinker to get the biggest photo possible here.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:56:53 AM by lucabrasi »

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jimmy Lewis Searcher
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
Sweet setup! I love the rocker line and hull shape of that board. Great setup as well, having the gear up front. I fished with all the crap in the back, including the rack, and its just a pain to manage. Thanks for posting, enjoy!

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »

Thanks for posting this. 

How do you think that board would work in the open ocean for fishing and general fitness paddling for a bigger guy?

Please take some photos of the fish you catch, the fishing set up and gear you use.  Always interesting!

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »
Nice Luca!!
Awesome looking playground.
Looks like you put in a full day on SUP... that's worth the wait  ;D

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:02:17 AM »
Thanks.
How do you think that board would work in the open ocean for fishing and general fitness paddling for a bigger guy?
Hi Lopez. I probably not the right person to ask that of as I don't paddle on the ocean but I couldn't see it being a problem. I would actually have to consider it a good choice tho. I was looking 14' but they were all 31 or 32 wide it seemed. Also the conversations about trimming a 14' board made me wonder and never could find anything that interested me like this board. Great Bear was close but never saw any of them or this in person. No problem to paddle but my 14' x 29.5 Kaholo wasn't wide enough for what I wanted nor was my inflatable 12'6" x 32" Hobie I have. I do really like the Hobie and I fish off both of those but this is absolutely in another league. I don't think I would hesitate any to take this out in any body of water and for what you want I would think it is the perfect board. I do plan on fishing for sturgeon off of it and wanted something that would handle that......not that I would have much control but I do know I could do it now. Neither my Kaholo or Hobie would be a good choice for that.
I will post more pictures as I get out more.......snow in the forcast for later in the week......yech.
Creek, not sure if it's worth the wait but I am rather jaded about this whole.....mountain thing anymore but at the same time really love it here.

Robindesbois

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »
Hi Luca,

Thanks for the post. I have owned one (late 2013 or early 2014 model) for the last 12 months, and it has been one of my favourite boards for general paddling and fitness training. It might be the only one in the UK, as I have not seen anyone else on one since I have been paddling. Have used it primarily for FW paddles, and a bit of estuary work too. No open saltwater so far on it for me.

Fantastic stability, easy to handle, light, great glide, nice nose which does not pearl in chop, and able to carry my Clydesdale frame (borrowed Oz terminology from Seabreeze forum- read 6'3", 300 lbs-ish) and some gear (total combined wt likely 330-340lbs) without  a hitch. Tracks very well provided that you keep the nose in the water- I stand slightly (6") ahead of the handle location, which keeps the water surface 1/2 way up the vertical section of the bow and releases the stern, and that allows me up to 10-12 strokes per side if I want to, whilst using a Larry Allison Batfin.

Got back on it two days ago after 6 months off due to a busted knee, and had no trouble with balance. Will now try it of fishing, as I have had to retire my SB Fisherman after many years of faithful service. Your set-up looks good, and is similar to what I used to use on the SBF. Much easier to get to your gear than having to turn round all the time.

Re. Lopez's question about use in seawater/chop, I have attached a link (see below) to a video of a chap using one for down-winding in southern France. I also remember seeing an article on a chap who paddled some 300miles along the Florida Keys with his in 2013 or 2014. I sen to remember he was a JL dealer- Google it up and see if you can trace him for a chat. Hope that puts your mind at rest.

http://www.standup-guide.fr/video?modele=570&idvideo=285

Cheers,  Laurent.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard