Author Topic: No Mo BOP ?  (Read 14290 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: No Mo BOP ?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
In my opinion, maybe it's a good thing they stop this thing before someone takes the pointy end of a 14' carbon spear to the head and gets killed.

Firstly let me say I love this event, and I'm sorry to see it being cancelled, but as someone who has organised events and who is close to those who do, no matter whether it makes money or not, if someone, or worse multiple people, end up with serious injuries or worse die, no amount of liability insurance can make up for that. So I am sure that whoever takes this on is going to take this into consideration. Those of us who have been around water sports long enough know that serious accidents happen in far lesser conditions than the last BOP with far less people. It was a miracle, and thankfully so, that no-one got seriously injured last year. Repeating the same format in the same conditions starts to stack up the odds, and it would only be a matter of time.

So I'm looking forward to BOP2.0. Just as rad and in just as gnarly conditions, but safer. Does this mean they make everyone wear helmets or limit the number of people per heat, or move venue if conditions get too big? Yep maybe. You would not see a downhill mountain bike race today without helmets and body armour and because of these the envelope has been pushed way further than anyone thought possible... Same with ski-cross where you could double the number per heat from 4 to 8 (Olympics) or 6 - 12 (X-Games) and there would be lots more carnage, but it would be too unsafe.... It's all about love and limits...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:32:24 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
In my opinion, maybe it's a good thing they stop this thing before someone takes the pointy end of a 14' carbon spear to the head and gets killed.

Firstly let me say I love this event, and I'm sorry to see it being cancelled, but as someone who has organised events and who is close to those who do, no matter whether it makes money or not, if someone, or worse multiple people, end up with serious injuries or worse die, no amount of liability insurance can make up for that. So I am sure that whoever takes this on is going to take this into consideration. Those of us who have been around water sports long enough know that serious accidents happen in far lesser conditions than the last BOP with far less people. It was a miracle, and thankfully so, that no-one got seriously injured last year. Repeating the same format in the same conditions starts to stack up the odds, and it would only be a matter of time.

So I'm looking forward to BOP2.0. Just as rad and in just as gnarly conditions, but safer. Does this mean they make everyone wear helmets or limit the number of people per heat, or move venue if conditions get too big? Yep maybe. You would not see a downhill mountain bike race today without helmets and body armour and because of these the envelope has been pushed way further than anyone thought possible... Same with ski-cross.. you could double the number per heat from 4 to 8 or 6 - 12 and there would be lots more carnage.... It's all about love and limits...
Well said Amigo.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »

So I'm looking forward to BOP2.0. Just as rad and in just as gnarly conditions, but safer. Does this mean they make everyone wear helmets or limit the number of people per heat, or move venue if conditions get too big? Yep maybe. You would not see a downhill mountain bike race today without helmets and body armour and because of these the envelope has been pushed way further than anyone thought possible... Same with ski-cross.. you could double the number per heat from 4 to 8 or 6 - 12 and there would be lots more carnage.... It's all about love and limits...
Well said Amigo.
Yes, I agree too.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »

You would not see a downhill mountain bike race today without helmets and body armour and because of these the envelope has been pushed way further than anyone thought possible…

Oddly theres a lot less armor these days. Helmuts, knee pads and I presume back protectors. Gnarly riders go bare hands. Go figure.

But, yes, would not like to see an accident in that BOP carnage. Would not be pretty. Smart of Pono to sport a helmut.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »
I've been racing SUP since 2006 (and paddleboards long before that) and it's amazing to see how the BOP and the advent of $$ prizes changed the sport.  I really liked the move to Creek as there hasn't been any surf racing there since the Bud Light series in the late '80's/early '90's.  I hope someone steps up and keeps a world-class event at our beaches. In the meantime I have some great memories and made a lot of friends from around the world so thank you Sparky, Gerry, Pat, Barrett and everyone else for creating and maintaining such and awesome event over the years.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »
The helmet I wore in the sprint race was a total pain in the ass. I would have ditched it on the first lap if it it wouldn't have been littering. Didn't use it in the distance race, where I got pounded much worse on the start and had to shove through the 14'ers logjam on the restart. Honestly, didn't need it. as always, telephoto lenses make everything look more crammed together. Anyone with minimal surf sense could avoid getting hit. I haven't heard anyone who was there and did it say they felt in danger of their lives. It was intense, sure, but the only injury I know of was Zane screwing up his ankle, tripping on a board getting out of the water.

I really hope someone steps up. I'm writing to a few friends suggesting it. I know it's a big undertaking, but in the right marketing budget the expense would be a rounding error.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:40:40 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
One of our Texas boys got speared in the chest.  I think there was a pic of it somewhere.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »

I really hope someone steps up. I'm writing to a few friends suggesting it. I know it's a big undertaking, but in the right marketing budget the expense would be a rounding error.

We're all counting on you PB.. No pressure..  :)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
The crowd sure loved it at Salt Creek. The surf locals? Not so much.
Like it or not, it sure had a Galipolli feel to it.

Couldn't be there, but man is that video fun to watch.  Crowded just like Malibu or Rincon on a nice clean Saturday, only 100 times more difficult.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
The San Clemente Times that came out today has an article about the BOP cancellation. In it Sparky states 'lack of funding' by a major sponsor as the main reason for him ending the event. Rainbow Sandals has been putting up $400K a year and 6 months of preparation by his companies event staff.  He mentions he would consider licensing opportunities. In his closing statement, Longley said,

" Anyone can do a SUP event, but whether they do it with the richness that we have done it, is another story. Gerry and I originally started it just for fun but it grew to be too costly and nobody wanted to step up with funding. If someone would like to use the name for their event it would have to live up to the past Battle of the Paddle standards and richness."     
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »
First let me state I don't know what I'm talking about....

But $400,000 sounds like somebody's wasting money when the Carolina race is darn near as big and I'm sure cost nothing close that amount.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 08:08:50 PM »
Things are just more expensive in California.  The permits alone are huge.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
Things are just more expensive in California.  The permits alone are huge.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
I've always wondered, how much money does it take to kick off everyone from the break?

I mean, lets say billionaire surfer who wants to run his own comp all by himself, and surf all by himself, all day long at Lowers, is that possible?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
In the windsurfing community we have the AWT (Am. Windsurfing Tour), it's been very popular, but this year the event at the Santa Cruz venue ran into money problems involving permit fees, $8000!!! so it was almost cancelled.
From the IWindsurf forum in early April (not posted by me)~

Hey everyone, contrary to rumors, the event hasn't been cancelled yet. However, the price of permits did increase to $8000. Everyone in the AWT family is doing their best to make the event happen. A bunch of people and pro windsurfers came together for this crowdfunding campaign to create some unique experiences. Let's work together and make this always fun event happen. Thanks everyone. If you can't help by donating money, please help spread the word. Here's the link.

gofundme.com/qfnxrc

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29661

Then we had success, also from the same forum, posted just two days ago~

Well, we did it. The permit costs have been covered. Thanks to all who already pledged on gofundme http://www.gofundme.com/qfnxrc . If you haven't yet make sure you go to the at page and pay for registration. I highly suggest a reserved parking spot on the gofundme site. The event is happening, but there are a lot of additional expenses like housing for the judges, travel, etc. Any extra money goes a long way, so let's do what we can. Thanks everyone! Also, a windsurfer employee talked to his boss about the AWT. Tidemark, then pledged $2000 to the contest. So let people know.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29794

So it's probably doable, but it would take a group effort/investment to make it happen.
It takes a quiver to do that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard