Author Topic: Fuerteventura Downwinding - any organised shuttles and is it worth going  (Read 2369 times)

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I posted this topic in the 'Regional' area but have had no replies and I am beginning to think that though Fuerteventura may have very good potential DW runs, maybe not that many people doing it.

I can drop into Fuerteventura on a regular basis due to work (my flights can go via fuerteventura rather than working there) and was hoping to see if I can organise to board hire and shuttle services when I am there. So far, I have had no real luck and have come to the conclusion that the SUP DW crowd is probably to small.

Could anyone advise if they know otherwise in the area?
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Have you spoken with Michel Rozenwajn at the Surftech Centre there? I don't know the status of that business now, after the changes at Surftech, but he should know. If you got lucky you could hook up with Eric Terrien.

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Area10. Seems like Surfcentre is not there any more. I have contacted a number of companies in both Fuerteventura and Lanzarote but seems like general SUP lessons is the main fare. I have not managed to find one company that hires DW boards (or has DW boards for that matter).

Seems like no real serious DWinding in the area which is a pity as it seems there is the wind and in the right direction (guys have done it in the past). I am still planning to pop in for a couple of days and hopefully I can have more luck the old fashioned way (ie speaking to locals) so at least my next trip could be more organised.

naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
AS - I was talking to one of my Surfski buddies and he told me there were people doing surfski downwinders there. Here is a video from 2 months ago I found online.. maybe you try contact these guys to see if they saw any SUPs there, as I am sure they did not bring their surfskis and there must have been shuttle / way to get them back

https://youtu.be/yGKAWhii36c
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:26:39 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Outside of Hawaii, I should think there are few businesses that run DW rental or lessons. The logistics are too difficult, and the safety/insurance aspects will be considerable. I can't see how, unless your local run is the Maliko, you'd ever get the volume of business to support it. The last time I was at Fuerteventura I was watching Eric Terrien and a couple of friends of his training, catching bumps. It's a paradise for SUP, as long as you know what you are doing, and preferably have a local guide. Localism is rife, and they don't mess about. A few years ago I was on a wave and one of the locals who was with his mates and had been hassling me (I was on my own) dropped in and took a swing at me. Fortunately the punch just missed me, because if it has connected he could have knocked me out cold and it would have been put down to another tourist surfing accidental fatality...

Anyway, the main point is that it is a small and close knit community on both islands, so yes, you'll probably have to get to know a local. There are many outstandingly gifted waterpeople there. I suppose it's possible that the staff at La Santa on Lanzarote might be able to refer you on, but you've probably tried them already.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Area has a point. I've been to a number of places where the wind has howled and there was either not the right gear to rent (Fiji), or I had the right gear (sort of.. a 14' iSUP Race board) but there was no safe way to downwind (North Uist, Scotland) and I was left frustrated as hell. So if your main point of the vacation is to downwind, and $$ and family permit, I'd go to a place that is set up to do that like the Hood River, or Maui or South Africa. Just make sure you go at the right time / season.

Having said that I have also been to places that I did not expect to downwind (LBI with my 14' iSUP and Long Island with a rental Bark Dominator, both in the US) and managed to find a way to get myself and my gear back and people to paddle with.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
A friend spends winters there and was thinking of setting that up. I'll get you his email if you are reserved to go and need beta.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal