Author Topic: Shootin stuff  (Read 7355 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Shootin stuff
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
My wife and I had the chance last weekend to go with about 6 friends to a local shooting range and test out their arsenals.  We've never shot anything so we were complete noobs (and at our age that seems like a statistical anomaly).  My conception was that most guns of similar caliber were going to feel pretty similar. Boy was I wrong.

We shot everything from AR-15s, 22 assault and long range rifles, Swiss K31 rifle, 30-06, a slew of shotguns, Pistols ranging from German Luger 22 to a desert eagle and a .50 cal ...hand howitzer.  I can only imagine what this access would cost at a pay to shoot range.  For us it was a graduate level course in fire arms, with everyone stressing safety, but all had their own take on weapons and reasons for owning.  I was mostly amazed at the range of different sights on guns and what they did.

We both learned quickly that my wife is a much better shot than I am.  We agreed that shooting is an interesting pastime but not much of a substitute for sup.  However the same "user preference" concept is applicable to shooting as it is to sup.  What works for one person isn't necessarily the right tool for the next.  All in all, a well spent morning.

Although it was pretty damn loud... :o

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shootin stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »
i am not a fan of guns--for crime, or fun

sorry--tho it doesnt seem like you're a "pry my gun from my stiff dead fingers" kinda Jim
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
My neighbor is an expert marksman.  He invites me to go with him to the shooting range, but I'd rather SUP.

Gun stores freak me out.  I can't go into one for very long.

I do have a gun I bartered for services 35 years ago, a five chamber revolver. They guy was in major pain and had nothing else to pay for services. It been sitting in a drawer forever.

When I first got it, I took it to a firing range and saw how difficult it was to aim and actually hit something.  I can believe those gunfights in the old west where everything gets shot but the people they were aiming at.

I do have to admit that people firing at gun ranges seem freakishly cheerful exercising their second amendment rights.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
We agreed that shooting is an interesting pastime but not much of a substitute for sup.  However the same "user preference" concept is applicable to shooting as it is to sup.  What works for one person isn't necessarily the right tool for the next.  All in all, a well spent morning.

Although it was pretty damn loud... :o

Kind of my take on target shooting too. I used to go all the time, but that was at least 10 or more years ago. I still own a very fun to shoot .22 target pistol that is amazingly accurate, even for a hack like me. It's just equipped with iron sights but can be easily fitted with a scope, although I never rigged it that way.

Lots of rules here in Hawaii about guns. Makes you feel like a criminal just for owning one. I'll probably always own them but I can't say I really like guns all that much. If I could conveniently go out in my backyard and target shoot, I'd probably blast away with that little .22 a couple times a week. But, given what I really like spending my time doing, everything stays locked up and safely stowed away. At least until the zombie apocalypse.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
^^^^ ;D ;D ;D^^^^

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
Glad you had fun. If you are going to shoot even at a moderate level of involvement I highly recommend getting your own hearing and eye protection. Comfort goes a long way to enjoying yourself more. Hearing protection can be relatively cheap ($20-$40) for basics or you can get the electronic noise cancelling variety ($50-$500) where you can have conversations without having to yell. If it's still loud you can double up with an "in-the-ear" type of plug too.

I shoot occasionally and lately I've been thinking about getting into practical shooting. In particular a division called "heavy metal". It's a three gun format that is essentially, 45 caliber pistol, 12 gauge pump shotgun and .308 rifle. Anyone currently or recently doing/done this?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
Here we go again. But anyway I enjoyed DJ's clip though I didn't see the whole thing. One thing the clip reminded me of is every conversation I have had about guns in America with someone from a foreign country. On my last vacation we went on a week long group trip in the Amazon and my wife and I were the only ones from the US.  It was amazing and embarrassing to hear what foreigners think about America's gun culture.   

btw - I do own a gun (long story) and grew up hunting, but no longer hunt. My leanings are very much in favor of reasonable gun control.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
+1 on  the Swiss K-31.  I have a Swiss k-11 which is the predecessor and it is a fine military surplus rifle. The Swiss know their stuff when it comes to moving parts and accuracy. 

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 01:51:43 PM »
Not really into guns, but went to the range during Xmas break w/ brother-in-law, got to shoot some cool stuff.  Came home and found myself on youtube..stumbled upon this guy... Very easy to waste time just watching his videos and then clicking thru to the next one, and next one, and next one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8Ndkg8urw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDJtZ2VK6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkGDzMeKvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDy2myT6MX0

Some pretty wild stuff out there!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
Funny piece. I've always been in favor of gun control, and always been armed to the teeth. Long time hunter (not so much now since my hunting buddies have all moved to that big duck blind in the sky. Or maybe they're just dead). Dead shot with a rifle, fair with a shotgun, need to be very close with a pistol. I've never had any big thrill from playing with a gun, to me they're a tool. No more exciting than a hammer. And after you've gutted, skinned, quartered and carried a few dozen elk and deer and plucked a few thousand ducks you realize that the fun part ends when you pull the trigger.

I'd love to see the NRA squashed, and all handguns and non-hunting arms removed from private hands. They can have my .45 and my .22 target pistol that I haven't shot in years. Shotguns and hunting rifles--regulate the heck out of them. Most of the morons I see handling them shouldn't be allowed to play with anything sharp. Make hunter training a real thing, with serious safety training and serious conservation and humane hunting practices taught. Sounds great to me, I might even like it again.

While we're at it, let's license drivers so they actually know how to drive and understand personal responsibility.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
Although I've never hunted, I own a number of guns, mainly because I find them to be mechanical marvels and I'm fascinated by how they work.  Like the other gun owners here I don't shoot (target) very often, but I don't think I'll get rid of my guns. I just like them. And to some of my buddies I'm a pariah because I'm definitely for more and intelligent gun control.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
I owned a nine foot gun once. A beautiful three stringer Haut.
Of course gun control meant wearing beefy big wave leash.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
I own a lot of guns, but they all require and air hose and air compressor. I've even shot myself a couple of times.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
I owned a nine foot gun once. A beautiful three stringer Haut.
Of course gun control meant wearing beefy big wave leash.
;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal