Author Topic: Which size  (Read 2578 times)

JMarkel9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which size
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:25:59 AM »
First off, not your typical 12'6" vs 14' question... Well, maybe.

I finally found a board I really like. Got a chance to test out a fellow competitors 12'6" version in Carolina this past weekend. The production models come in 12'6"x27.5 And 14x27. The volume on both is actually very close due to the width and thickness. Most guys near me race the 14' class. So being very competitive I'd rather race the stronger field. But at 5'8" and 160-165lbs Ive been told it may be too much board for me. Working off a teacher salary I'm sticking with the Non carbon construction. The 14' carbon is available in narrower widths but being my first race board Id be worried About stability let alone not being able to afford the higher price tag.

Just wondering everyones thoughts on someone in my situation deciding between the 12'6x27.5 vs 14'x27 being a smaller guy.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which size
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:36:32 AM »
Get the 14.. even if you are smaller IMO

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
The other consideration is what length / division your key friends compete in. I have both a 12-6 and 14' and most of us used to compete in 12-6, but now almost everyone has moved to 14' and only a few paddle 12-6. The only time I think I'll race my 12-6 again is in the international races to be held here later this year where the organisers have decided on a single class of 12-6 to make it easier for those from overseas to get their boards here.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
I went from a 14 footer to a 12'6", and I kind of miss the length. (And that comment can be taken any number of ways.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »
14FT is the way to go unless you are (planning on) going PRO!

jimK
www.extremewindsurfring.com

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
But at 5'8" and 160-165lbs Ive been told it may be too much board for me.
That's just not true. I'm your kinda size and much prefer 14s (I have three 12s which I hardly use now). And a couple of my friends are considerably lighter than you and also prefer 14s. And then there are women friends who prefer them too, and are a lot lighter still. I think this advice is a bit old now, with boards having got narrower and lighter. The choice now, I think, is more about what kind of activity/racing you want to do, and what your natural paddle style is.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:40 AM »
Get the 14, especially if "[t]he volume on both is actually very close due to the width and thickness."
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, heading the opposite direction. At 185 lbs I'm trying to sell a 14x27 carbon fiber riviera and get a 12'6 downwind style board because I like surfing my race board on the small days (which we have a lot of), but still want something I can race for fun/exercise. The 14 is still fun to surf, but it's just a bit of a beast to turn. Furthermore, I will only do 2-3 mile rec races for now, and I only do 4-6 races a year. Storing, carrying, transporting a 12'6 is noticeably easier and a 14' board just looks ridiculous on a smaller vehicle (in an awesome way).

If you look at the Carolina Cup results, the 12'6' winner (Annabel) was going 5.5 mph and Travis won the 14' division going 6.2'ish mph iirc. I'm just now getting up to around 5 on my 14 for 2 miles. You can appreciate the extra glide and longer cadence/strokes you can take with the 14, however I believe you can out sprint a 14 on a 12. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I think the appeal with the 14 is it just goes faster over longer distances and glides better. Bigger/Faster/Better 'MERIKUH!!! But to keep things in perspective, a 6mph (10 min mile) jogging is disappointing for most avid joggers.

To circle back to the cadence, having a 14 I noticed I could have a longer cadence, but I had to add a lot of power to propel the board for the next stroke, when I tire, that becomes an issue and my cadence gets quicker regardless, maybe I'm just still a weakling or my technique is lacking.

So if you're priorities are different from mine, get a *LIGHT* 14.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:04:41 PM by breakbad »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal