Author Topic: First timer in need of advice  (Read 9248 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First timer in need of advice
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
Supthecreek is the zones official sup counselor. Feel free to make an appointment anytime. Good stuff Creek! 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »
Full frontal mavericks that board!  What's the worst that could happen?

;) Welcome to the zone. You got a winner there.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »
 Hey Jeff, welcome to the dark side! I was another surfer with many years of experience and assumed this will be REALLY easy.

Standing up with no headway; hmm harder than I thought; this paddling deal is really hard; I am so embarrassed!

Your board sounds like a great choice and the more you paddle the easier it becomes.
This forum has an incredible wealth of videos - the Larry Cain paddling vids straightened out my bent arms and were invaluable in figuring out that area of total ignorance.

The good news once you actually start catching waves, all those years of surfing experience will pay incredible dividends. You know how to turn understand lineups unwritten rules (dropping in my wave my beach LOL) and will progress very quickly.

You may even discover the delightful joys of flatwater paddling with all of the varieties and flavors available there as well.

It is a whole new world - welcome aboard!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
You've already gotten plenty of good advice. Only thing I can add is after you get a bit of a feel for the board in the flats the fastest way to progress beyond that is to go out in choppy windblown conditions, you'll fall a lot until you don't. You'll be forced to move around on the board and that will get rid of the feet in cement feeling, you'll learn to read the water and anticipate what's next, and learn to use the paddle, bracing is everything when its rough. This will all seem silly a month or two from now when you're paddling around without issues.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
The wind is 20 - 30 mph right now....
I borrowed a friends  8'2 at 130 liter Carbon Starboard.

No surf, but I going to go for a paddle in full winter gear,  just for the abuse... me, gear and board adds up to about 245 lbs ;D ;D ;D

I need to work hard on my "small twitch" muscles after a winter of Longboard SUPs

Sheesh.... I just realized I have spent the last 2 winters without a short SUP :( 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »
yep--a day or two on flatwater will leave you way more stable than now--and, yes, do go out in harbor windchop--great workout and gets you even more stable--you will laugh at your own comments like that about period and time to get up and get going

board sounds just right for where you are now--you will want shorter soon eniough, given your size and surf experience

you will be pleased, once youve dialed in a bit. you will surf, now, til they toe tag you.

my much younger brother, always a much better surfer than i, once said "let me try that piece of shit, you pussy"---he flailed around a bit, falling in several times, and said "i thought these were about cheating--f that! they make it harder--gimme back my board"

he hasnt asked to try it since--some day, when he gets the hip issues all in my gene pool end up with, he will see the light
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal