Author Topic: Downwind duelling - vid  (Read 1892 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Downwind duelling - vid
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Was one of those days. Forgot my paddle and had to borrow one. My buddy's paddle blade delaminated and we had to bind together with gaffer / duct tape, and the forecast was marginal. But the wind Gods smiled. And much fun was had.

http://youtu.be/LLnCc9coblM
And this is just 15mins by boat from Hong Kong Island
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind duelling - vid
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »
Nice.  Pretty busy looking, ie: shipping.  :o ...
Have you posted a pic of your camera mounting setup?  (I probably missed it if you did.).  Is it a concern when you fall?  Just wondering.  Thanks again for sharing all your videos Offshore, it's cool to be able to see other places from a paddling perspective.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
Muskoka SUP. This area is an anchorage and so the ships are usually at anchor which is a good thing. We keep a beady eye out for any ship movement, and have a support boat to quickly extract us if needed. Falling and not being able to get back up is a major concern if a ship is coming our way. I also carry a PLB and phone if things get out of control, but it would not stop a ship.

In this vid I start off with a Headmount and then switch to a Sail Video System, 3rd Person View. www.SailVideoSystem.com. If you fast forward to 4.38 you'll see the set up with me in front. It is not comfortable, and a concern falling off. I have got my leash wrapped around it and my neck... pretty scary.. so I don't use if it is just me in the big stuff.

Felt like I was cheating on my SIC F16v3 which just loves this run, but she was in the shop getting some serious work done on her front end which had taken a couple of big dings, and so I had to take out the Bullet 14v1.. Hence the change of music in the vid above to "Cheatin on me" with thanks to the talented Luck Brothers.

I picked up the F16 last night, buffed her up to a fine sheen and applied RailSaver Pro. It is good to have her back. Real Good.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:50:03 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Thanks Off-shore.  Boy, that SailVideo mount is spendy.. .   I think maybe DJ should make an effort to bring his super duper camera mount to market.  Substitute some carbon for his ABS pipes and everybody would want one.  The only quandary would be a substitute for the duct tape.... ;D
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
M-SUP. Yep. It is mighty pricey for what it is, but it works and is adjustable in many ways. You could achieve the same using a pole stuck in a backpack like some others have done, but I'd love to have an easy to assemble and disassemble DJ set up as I think that is the gold standard for downwind vids.

The main problem with my set up is the movement of the camera in relation to the person paddling. Works okay when paddling on my left with camera over left shoulder but not so good when paddling on the right. The advantage is that it is quick to set up once you have dialled in the position and does not need any special fixtures on the board.

There are people using this for surfing. Can't imagine going through the rinse cycle with one on and a leash attached to a Board. Seriously dangerous IMO.

Had to change the music on the vid again.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:08:13 PM by Off-Shore »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal