Author Topic: custom painted shark teeth  (Read 5818 times)

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
custom painted shark teeth
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
Hey all, its been awhile since I posted and actually paddled too. Did a cool project on a Fanatic race SUP the other day thought I'd share..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:22:44 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: custom painted shark teeth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:52:31 PM »
That is ridiculously good. Reminds me of:

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
Thanks. Yup that's why I did it. The guy was a navy pilot and wanted it to resemble the F4 phantom.
@rf.boardworks

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
The board needs a propeller now.  And an eyeball.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Sliick! The real schizz.. 8)  8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
+1 for the eyeball.
That is some great work.
Which I would be that talented to spice-up my board.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
Infinity was doing something similar. If I remember correctly, it was just a sticker.  http://www.infinitysurf.com/sup/   I saw it on a number of race boards. Your's is pure art. 8)
 I'm playing with my airbrush on a longboard. Having fun and trying to not F it up to bad. Most of it is going to be spiderwebs. I've been practicing doing sculls on paper first. I just want to do one. It's all about the highlight and shadowing. I'm trying to get the order of over laps down. The board is red. From how I understand it, I think I shoot white over the template edge and eye, ear and nose openings. Then create depth with black shadows along one side. The body of the scull will be red. Does that sound about right?
 I've watched a number of Youtube videos already. They kind of blow through it. They don't show how they cut their templates out. I see how they weight the templates down with rocks, but are the eyes and nose from a separate template? 

BTW, this is right on the foam. I painted (rolled) the whole board with a water base red.

Just pickin' yo brain bruddah.....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:34:20 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
Takes a huge amount of time and effort to do good airbrush work. I headed down that road once, as well as learning to pinstripe by hand. I probably still have the brushes and stuff somewhere. I came to the realization that something I like to see was not necessarily something I wanted to spend that much time learning.

I did have some opportunities to watch the masters at work. Fineberg, Kenny Howard (Von Dutch), Compton Doc (I called him the Compton Flash, because I figured he had to be fast on his feet to live in Compton), and a few other guys that I don't remember. Somewhere there's a plastic box with a few inches of mineral oil in it that has a dozen or so Mack and Badger swords and a big cardboard box full of one shot enamel--probably turned to rock by now.

Fineberg used to borrow my shop to do his striping. I'd call him to do a few things for me and he'd always ask if he could have a few customers meet him at the shop. A few sometimes meant twenty or so. Women would show up with antique sewing machines to get them striped and gold leafed, lowriders, chopper dudes, road racers, hot rodders. All day long. Fineberg would show up driving this piece of shit valiant with one shot spotted all over the back, the technicolor bird shit. He never paid income tax, all transactions cash. I never saw anyone able to hold color better with just eyeball mixing three or four dabs on the side of a thinner can. All the way around a big ol' Imperial, and when the lines met up, the color, alignment and width would be perfect. You could kneel down on the ground and sight along one of his lies and it would be as straight as a laser.

Somebody mugged him and cut his throat in Hollywood. Interesting guy.

But I digress. Nice work, dub.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:30:53 PM »
"piece of shit valiant"

Hey, there, watch what you slander.  I drove a valiant for years, slant 6, hand me down from my family.

Yeah, all the cool kids with rich parents in LA made fun of it when I was in professional school. It got me from LA to my residency in New Orleans.  I could see the road where the bottom rusted out.  It was finally towed away after it died.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
You never saw Finebergs Valiant. Trust me, piece O' Shit. I traded him some work on it once for some striping and lettering on a Matchless G80CS tank. A former desert sled I turned into a cafe racer. He got the best part of the deal. I opened the aircleaner and there was a dead rat and all it's dead babies in there. Yikes. Ran a lot better without the nest, but it sure screwed up my lunch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
Takes a huge amount of time and effort to do good airbrush work. I headed down that road once, as well as learning to pinstripe by hand. I probably still have the brushes and stuff somewhere. I came to the realization that something I like to see was not necessarily something I wanted to spend that much time learning.

I did have some opportunities to watch the masters at work. Fineberg, Kenny Howard (Von Dutch), Compton Doc (I called him the Compton Flash, because I figured he had to be fast on his feet to live in Compton), and a few other guys that I don't remember. Somewhere there's a plastic box with a few inches of mineral oil in it that has a dozen or so Mack and Badger swords and a big cardboard box full of one shot enamel--probably turned to rock by now.

Fineberg used to borrow my shop to do his striping. I'd call him to do a few things for me and he'd always ask if he could have a few customers meet him at the shop. A few sometimes meant twenty or so. Women would show up with antique sewing machines to get them striped and gold leafed, lowriders, chopper dudes, road racers, hot rodders. All day long. Fineberg would show up driving this piece of shit valiant with one shot spotted all over the back, the technicolor bird shit. He never paid income tax, all transactions cash. I never saw anyone able to hold color better with just eyeball mixing three or four dabs on the side of a thinner can. All the way around a big ol' Imperial, and when the lines met up, the color, alignment and width would be perfect. You could kneel down on the ground and sight along one of his lies and it would be as straight as a laser.

Somebody mugged him and cut his throat in Hollywood. Interesting guy.

But I digress. Nice work, dub.
  some interesting stuff.  I pretty much picked up a few things from a guy that's been doing custom work And alot of it is just self taught.
@rf.boardworks

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »
great job! love how clean the lines are on the teath. did you use any masking stencils or was it all masked with tape?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
Nice e-z. 

Tall... I have a cutter that can cut shapes out the equivalent of 48" wide masking tape. It has backer paper on the backside so you can handle it.  Send me a link to an image you'd like to use, I'll cutcha one.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »
Nice e-z. 

Tall... I have a cutter that can cut shapes out the equivalent of 48" wide masking tape. It has backer paper on the backside so you can handle it.  Send me a link to an image you'd like to use, I'll cutcha one.

Jim

Whoa, talk about your new best friend!
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
Nice e-z. 

Jim

Sweet!!!  thanks Jim.   PDF. , .DFX  or .DWG files ?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal