Author Topic: The Greatest Generation  (Read 3259 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Greatest Generation
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
A friend of mine sent this to me, so awesome, an outstanding example of the greatest generation.  It's to bad that all the vets didn't come back the same as this guy did, 91 years old and he totally gets it.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/395572/jerry-yellin-world-war-ii-veteran-interview#.VTrr3KZ0yM8
It takes a quiver to do that.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Greatest Generation
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:54:12 PM »
Great point he made a few times about being one of 16 million that served.  When everyone is in on it then there is a sense of purpose and focus.  Like he also pointed out about women who made planes, tanks and amo, man the whole country was onboard.  The manner of serving now, where only a small segment does the work, and has done so since Korea, is one of the many problems associated with the military adventures our country conducts. 

Most people nowadays have no idea what is going on overseas.  In WWII, even with antiquated communications, everyone across the country was well briefed on every battle taking place, whose son was in it and the casualties that were taking place.  That was total war.  And the thing is that it's total war right now and many in the US don't even know it.  These extremists don't consider any of us innocent civilians.  We're all on their target lists, just as much as any uniformed soldier.

Stunning to see these old vets that survive so long.  Very rich.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:51 AM »
No doubt, the Greatest Generation is the best way of describing them. Between surviving the Great Depression and WWII and then pushing Civil Rights legislation; they remade the United States in the name of freedom.  Both of my grandfathers served in WWII, one a tail gunner in the pacific and the other on the USS Intrepid.  I only knew the one, and he was an amazing man that I miss dearly. 

Here in NJ, we have a 95 year old WWII Vet named Pat Tirotta that still gets up and goes to work every day.  He runs his own one-man roadside food stand.  I had the pleasure of eating there and talking with him several times.  Served in WWII in North Africa, D-Day and then the Battle of the Bulge, if I remember correctly. 

Here's a vid about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvHqDsT2OI

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
Wow, great stories, both of them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »
Great tribute! My Pop is 94 yrs young and served as a infantryman in France. He still, to this day, doesn't like to talk about those days. He just says he hopes and pray that none of his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren experience what he had to experience...
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
My father-in-law past about a year ago. He opened up a lot about what he experienced in the war in the last few years of his life. Amazing stories, I wish we had recorded an interview. A very different time and sense of purpose. Like Pat he was a small guy, barely 5' and 130 lbs, but that meant he fit into plane cockpits easily. He was the Civilian Military Corp when the war broke out....in the cavalry... :o. He was on his way in to enlist in the Army when he saw a pilot poster for the navy. Got his wings at Pensicola and was hunting German subs from a cruiser in the Caribbean and then late in the war a dive bomber in the Pacific. It was kind of shocking to see the emotional effect telling the stories had even so many years later. He would suddenly go silent and stare into the distance or a tear would form and you could tell he was thinking of something or someone too difficult to share even now (never saw him cry otherwise).

A great generation for sure but I think they seem so great only in comparison to the overly entitled generations that followed.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
My father-in-law past about a year ago. He opened up a lot about what he experienced in the war in the last few years of his life. Amazing stories, I wish we had recorded an interview. A very different time and sense of purpose. Like Pat he was a small guy, barely 5' and 130 lbs, but that meant he fit into plane cockpits easily. He was the Civilian Military Corp when the war broke out....in the cavalry... :o. He was on his way in to enlist in the Army when he saw a pilot poster for the navy. Got his wings at Pensicola and was hunting German subs from a cruiser in the Caribbean and then late in the war a dive bomber in the Pacific. It was kind of shocking to see the emotional effect telling the stories had even so many years later. He would suddenly go silent and stare into the distance or a tear would form and you could tell he was thinking of something or someone too difficult to share even now (never saw him cry otherwise).

A great generation for sure but I think they seem so great only in comparison to the overly entitled generations that followed.

Yet they were the parents of those entitled generations that followed.  Parenthood is where the unheralded greatness hides.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal