Author Topic: Wicomico River downwinder, report  (Read 2572 times)

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Wicomico River downwinder, report
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
Well, I got my a$$ handed to me today by mother nature.  Planned on a 14 mile downwinder on the Wicomico with my bike on board and then ride back with the board on the bike.  Winds were supposed to be 12 - 16mph, but wound up being more like 20 - 25ish.  I made it 10 miles at least, did about 3 of those on my knees and went in the drink twice.  It was crazy out there, whitecaps abound, waves in multiple directions, and gusty.  And I lost my GoPro   :'(  But it was a 7 year old 2nd generation so now that might give me excuse to upgrade...

Still enjoyed the day, and now I'm having crazy head-dreams about doing a section of every river that drains into the Potomac and the Chesapeake Bay.  It would be a multi-year project, but something to keep me motivated.

My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wicomico River downwinder, report
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
I love the pack rafting dimension to this.  Do it.  Adventures where you live  8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Sounds like you had quite the adventure! Sorry you lost the GP as I'm sure you got some good footage! I also like setting goals like you to paddle in different places. It is a great motivator. Stay safe and keep paddling!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
Thanks guys, yes it was an adventure.  Especially considering there was a small craft advisory for the very location I was trying to take out at, Cobb Island.  Of course, they didn't declare that the night before.  I want to be a weather forecaster....
Just.  Get.  Out.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
We lived in Alexandria in the mid 60's.  The water around there always intrigued me tho the Potomac was polluted even back then.  Have they cleaned it up?  Heard the Hudson has cleaned up.  Great adventure.  Love the approach.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:15:32 AM »
We lived in Alexandria in the mid 60's.  The water around there always intrigued me tho the Potomac was polluted even back then.  Have they cleaned it up?  Heard the Hudson has cleaned up.  Great adventure.  Love the approach.

I live in Alexandria myself, it's a great city.  Yes, the Potomac and the entire Chesapeake Bay watershed have come a long way.  It's way cleaner than it was back then, and I grew up not far away in Baltimore in the 70's so I am familiar with the conditions back then.  The situation with industrial chemicals etc and plain trash and waste has gotten much much better, they're still working on the nitrogen and phosphorous pollution from fertilizers at farms.  I'd gladly swim in the Potomac - upstream from DC.  And past DC it's not as bad as the Hudson, Delaware, or Charles to compare to other big eastern cities.  But that's solely based on observation.....
Just.  Get.  Out.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
I remember seeing a bumper sticker in downtown Annapolis back in the eighties that said  "Save the bay, kill a cow".

They were blaming the farms for raising the nitrogen or phosphorous levels in the bay which were upsetting the environment and destroying the oyster beds as well as the habitat of many other aquatic life forms.

If the bay couldn't support oysters, it wouldn't be able to overcome all the pollutants we dump into it. The health of the ecosystem is the key, along with stopping the pollution.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:25:42 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal