Author Topic: Soft roof rack?  (Read 7903 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Soft roof rack?
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
Can anyone share their opinions on these?  I actually have a roof rack on my car, but if a soft rack is just as good, I'd like to the other one off.  Looking for opinions, thoughts, suggestions.....
Thanks!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soft roof rack?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
A solidly built aftermarket roof rack or factory rack is far superior to a soft rack, but a soft rack does the job in a pinch.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
These work great...
Double blow up air tubes in each one
Really good for thin roofs....

In Stock for $99.00
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
Ralph
Sup-position

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »
We've been selling Handiracks for a number of years...

This post is over 6 years old...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2009/01/handirack-to-rescue.html

I actually own a pair and travel with them off road with two boards stacked...WARDOG ® endorsed...;-)

http://supsports.com/shop/gear/handirack-inflatable-roof-rack/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »
I used the inflatable system last summer when I went to the Gorge race. Carried a 14' downwind/race board around in the Gorge winds. But, I also used straps through the inside of the car. I've used other soft rack systems when travelling and learned that the tie on's allow a LOT of board movement, especially with bigger boards in windy conditions.

I really liked the nice wide pads on the inflatable racks but I'd urge you to check board movement/security and don't be shy. If you run your straps through the inside of the car, i.e., through the front and back doors, it is going to be nice and solid and the inflatable pads will give good protection to both the car and your board. I also wouldn't personally do any board stacking with this kind of a rack. Carrying smaller boards short distances at low speeds, you can probably push the envelope a little more. 

Just one opinion....

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
If you are going on the freeway we instruct our clients to use an "awwww shit" strap that runs from your leash plug rope to your front bumper...don't use the OEM tie-downs for your board...we loop them together for the "aww shit" strap and use a more robust strap for the boards through the "D-rings"...

For road trips...we also run another one completely over the whole bundle and into the vehicle...

This keeps the front to back harmonics in check with wind gusts and bumps...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
These work great...
Double blow up air tubes in each one
Really good for thin roofs....

In Stock for $99.00

How would it do at highway speeds?  I've read that you have to stop and check the straps often.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
I have sold lots of these.

I prefer a thicker strap but people are using the stock ones..too

If you tighten them properly they should hold..

Doesn't hurt to check, especially if you can see movement...

Err on the side of caution...
Ralph
Sup-position

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
In addition to selling lots of them...I've put lots of actual hours of use on them...on and off road...they are the only soft rack that we would even consider using, or selling, for SUP...

I don't ever recommend using the OEM straps for strapping SUP boards...again, use a couple of extra safety straps in the manner that I suggested and you won't ever have to stop and check them...

The price for a couple of extra straps is nominal compared to the sh*tstorm that would happen with your boards flying off and hitting someone...
We see boards flying off of soft racks all of the time...heck, even OEM and after-market roof racks completely fly off of vehicles with boards attached...never pretty...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »
I have a box full of 15' Carlise Canoe Straps, Heavy Duty.

One Pair Free with your Sup-position Handirack Purchase, while they last...

$30.00 Value..

put "straps" in the notes on your online purchase
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:53:45 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position

suphunter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
I don't sell the handirack.... but I have used them for our 12' riviera sup. I think they work. Strap down tight the first time and they are good. At higher speeds with our board there was a lot of lift on the board. I was not comfortable with it. We ended up getting this: http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/roof/sup-brah  and using it with the handirack if we were going on the freeway. Took us a few times of using the sup brah to get it just right and not have to stop and check/tighten straps. But once we had experience the two together were good. We've since switched to two inflatables and sold the handirack and board.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »
We sell the inflatable soft racks but we have found the best and most solid way to strap boards to a car without racks is to use stiff EVA foam blocks and running the straps over the board(s) and through the car.  This eliminates the slack  inherent in soft racks.  Another advantage is that you can place the foam blocks at the edges of the roof where it is stiffer and won't dent.  We sell the two EVA blocks and straps as a kit, this link also has a video of how to use it:

http://blueplanetsurf.com/products/blue-planet-surf-eva-foam-block-soft-rack-setup
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »
I use soft racks for travel, I've carried a 19' Speedboard on an econocar with the Handiracks. As Wardog says, a strap to the front bumper is necessary, and a backup strap over the whole mess is prudent. The biggest problem is that when it rains, the strap through the door gasket carries water which then drips on you. A lot. For some reason it drips right into my crotch no matter what I do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
We sell the inflatable soft racks but we have found the best and most solid way to strap boards to a car without racks is to use stiff EVA foam blocks and running the straps over the board(s) and through the car.  This eliminates the slack  inherent in soft racks.  Another advantage is that you can place the foam blocks at the edges of the roof where it is stiffer and won't dent.  We sell the two EVA blocks and straps as a kit, this link also has a video of how to use it:

http://blueplanetsurf.com/products/blue-planet-surf-eva-foam-block-soft-rack-setup

I'd like to get some of those blocks, but they're a wee bit out my range.  :((

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal