Author Topic: So your wife thinks she's a SUP widow  (Read 9633 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: So your wife thinks she's a SUP widow
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »
I would definitely want a mate, male or female, that shared my love for the outdoors.  Hiking, paddling, camping.......all better shared MOST of the time.  Solitude is vital as well.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »
My wonderful wife is also my downwind shuttle, and she likes when I have a nice session, as much as me.

Sometimes she goes to Planet Fitness and does a workout while I do my paddle, then she picks me up.

So I got that going for me....

ed

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
I've had a wive and I've had several girlfriends that surfed.
Friend of mine had a similar situation, which worked out great until they all showed up at the same break.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
Hiking, paddling, camping.......all better shared MOST of the time.

In theory, yes. In theory

My spouse "loves hiking" (her words).  5minutes into the woods:
         "How do you know we're not lost?!"
         "How do you know we're not lost?!"

She also thinks high-tide is the moon's way of trying to kill you.  In an instant.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
I think a spouse that  skis or snowboard s with you  is great because if she is not that  skilled as you ,  you  can  still  do most  runs together . This doesn't  work  as  well  in  surfing  and  definitely  not in  windsurfing in you  enjoy  more  extreme  conditions .

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Sometimes I wish I had a spouse who wants to SUP w/ me all the time.
Then I come to my senses!!   :o

I once asked one of my whitewater paddling buddies if his wife paddled. He didn't hesitate, "oh God no! Hell no!! This is the only peace I get!"

I had a long term girlfriend who was as much outdoors as I. Would camp for weeks on end and very happy bathing in a stream. We'd take short term contact field biology jobs and live in a tent for months at a time. She was happy as a clam.  Too bad she was mean as a snake. These days I like deciding at 11 pm that I'm leaving at 3:30 the next morning for four days and not having to get the ok.

Creek has it. Like a buddy of mine says. "Just so long as her boyfriend doesn't drink all my beer and leaves a little money on the coffee table for the light bill, it's all good."

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »
So I forgot to add that my wife of 33 years, and I met when we were both ski instructors at Squaw Valley.  She could keep up with me and when you are 20 yrs old, thats enough at that age to hang on to someone.  Oh ya, and she is pretty hot too!
So no surprise she is riding an 8'6" now and charging overhead Kanaha.
Again, I guess I am pretty lucky.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
I don't paddle as much as you guys but she would if I did and if I last as long as you and brother Bill she will be.... :)

It's the damn work thing that gets in my way.

I started dating Sue when we were 17. We've been together for 40 years. She's my soul mate and the perfect partner to me. Yeah, I know it sounds cheesy but it's how I feel. I get enough free time to enjoy myself in the water and just enough of a dose of responsibility to keep things going smoothly. It's always been that way. Truthfully without her I likely would have died young. I was a fast burning fuse when I found her. I don't always like the responsibility but she always has our best interests at heart.
We have a good overlap of the things we like to do both athletic and non-athletic. But enough things of our own to provide space. She SUPs but prefers cruising and light downwinders to surf. She is less extreme for the most part though she used to kick my ass on water skis. She's a hard worker but loves to get outside, party and have fun. Top that off with great mother to our girls and I got the whole package. I consider myself very lucky to have found her right out of the gate.

Bottom line...she knows I NEED to paddle but she does expect me to do what I HAVE to do.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:49:16 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
as Weasle mentioned in other forms.....tinkering widow, baseball widow, all that and more tho I have gotten my wife into one of those dorky kayaks and she really likes that tho a very fair weather participant.
Anything having to do with snow I am on my own except for possibly xc.
We do fine for the most part tho I can't see the point in hiking unless there is a lake at the end or creek to follow. (see xc.) 
Yeah........it's probably all the other crap that gets in the way of doing all what I want when I want tho I do get the part about deciding to leave for a few days on a whim.
Hiding boards is a lot harder than hiding fishing poles and skis to be sure. Especially when the semi pulls up out front instead of the guy in brown shorts.

"this one for when it is windy out, this one for when I want to go faster, this one for when it is choppy, I don't have one like this one, this one for........." "yeah, yeah, whatever........"

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:10:19 PM by lucabrasi »

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
Hiding boards is a lot harder than hiding fishing poles and skis to be sure.

Came home with a new 6'2" shortboard yesterday and didn't make it 24hrs before I got busted.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
My wife is a fishing/surfing/golfing widow, but I have cut way back. Not due to her, but the kids and all the stuff they do. Before the kids my normal line was "I'll see you tomorrow, not before 11 am." She thought it was funny at first.

Seems like we have a pretty strong relationship. Without really one common interest, I mean I really want to bone her and she occasionally acquiesces (does that count?). Truly though we get along really well, I have never slept on the couch out of anger, only drunkenness.

We stand in front of the mirror each morning in the bathroom: I look at myself, hairy, bulge-y, smelly, ugly and then at her and just assume she is crazy or drunk all the time to let me anywhere near her.

She is so unathletic it makes me laugh. Luckily the kids aren't like her. She did stand up on a SUP for about 10 minutes in the FL Keys and that was enough. I should post the pics on that other thread.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
So no surprise she is riding an 8'6" now and charging overhead Kanaha.
Again, I guess I am pretty lucky.
Same thing here Disco, I met my wife in a water polo class when I was 17.  She was the setter and middle blocker on our junior college team in the very early 80's and coached for more than 30 years.  She went on to be the MVP of Cal Poly's team after JuCo. She just retired from coaching to surf more.  She's always been a better athlete than me other than I swim faster and take more punishment (and that's due to a lack of brain cells). She also cooks great, is a great mom, and her taste in boards is what I will ride when I lose a few more pounds... win win win.

Not looking to trade up, because honestly, I kinda lucked out big time on this one.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
first wife no longer exists, thkfully. sadly she's my daughters' problem, but i dont go there. i dont speak or think of her, which is perfect. this may be my first mention of her in months.

new wife (one yr ann'y is approaching) is great--not athletic, not interested in my surfing etc, but never guilts me for going. she's got two great kids, who I and mine enjoy immensely. it'd be nice if her ex didnt exist, but that's another story. i am very happy when the 6 of us are all together in our house in bkln. we are a great crew, tho it is a challenge to get us all togehter.

creek's take is the green grass on the other side of the fence-- i am drawn to it at times, but am generally pretty happy with the grass on this side.

wife has seen me surf once--there for the amazing beach, not to see me--but idont fault her for that, and when i surf i run solo for max efficiency
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:07 AM »
Slatch,
I just retired from coaching water polo for the past 10 yrs.  Couldn't have had the success I did without my wife.  She knew the game sometimes better than I did.  Main reason to retire was that she wanted to take more vacations in September/October, which is of course right in the middle of polo season.  And the best conditions in California happen in those months.
We leave Friday to camp at San Elijo for the week, so if you see me on my Kings board, or my wife on her red Starboard say hi!

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 04:52:58 AM »
easty.... I have never been a "grass is always greener" type of guy... quite the opposite, I have always been purposefully on the side of the fence that I like.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal