Author Topic: So your wife thinks she's a SUP widow  (Read 9634 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
So your wife thinks she's a SUP widow
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
Most of the gang I know that paddles in surf or downwind have steadys or wives that grace our homes when we return totally trashed by the day's activities.  Sometimes we hear stories of them calling themselves widows or such.  So we had a fun conversation on a shuttle drive.
"I'm there in the morning and evening, does she want all my time?"
"Yeah man I hear you.  Mine gets to have the pleasure of my company during all the great mornings, when I wake up hacking and groaning.  Then in the evening she gets to check out my thousand yard stare mol seizure while she asks whether this desk should be moved to the other side of the bed.  I always grunt how good dinner is as I slop it up.  Sometimes tell her about close calls with whales.  She likes whales.  I show my appreciation.  And then to top it off she gets a close audience to my baritone snore that kicks in during the middle of her conversation.  How can she say she's not getting very much out of this relationship?"
"Women.  Who can figure 'em out.  You going tomorrow?"
"Hell yeah."

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So your wife thinks she's a SUP widow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
Sometimes I wish I had a spouse who wants to SUP w/ me all the time.
Then I come to my senses!!   :o
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »
My wife has only seen me paddle out once onto the ocean, because she wanted to see the beach at Privates.

When I was practicing in the harbor, I would have her take me down to launch and pick me up later, at least until the harbor patrol started to rag on me about launching fees. Then, I just bought the annual harbor launching pass.

She's a girly girl, all about clothes, makeup, doesn't want to muss anything up and doesn't even want to take walks during the light anymore because of UV.

People have asked her if she is proud that I am doing something challenging in my dotage, and she doesn't comment.  She doesn't stop me at all, but if I quit tomorrow, she wouldn't care one way or another.  She's a Southern gal, and she is used to idea of men going hunting and fishing all the time, then spending the rest of the time potato-ing on a couch in front of TV watching sports.

She spends her time at church and with her hen clack when I am out on the water. She is generally warm, sociable and sweet, and everybody likes her.

I don't necessarily regret that she isn't out there, because everything winds up a thousand times more unnecessarily complicated when she goes anywhere, and any athletic ventures we have tried in the past lead her to almost instant injury. She never conditioned herself to do anything.  She is just better off going to the gym. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:50:33 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
My wife has another husband that keeps her happy.
I just show up for holidays....sit and enjoy the hell out of the great food and company.
I never bring anything and I never lift a finger to help..... I know.... childish of me, but it's a little perk I  take for donating my wife to a needy non surfer.

In fact I went over there just last night, when my daughters made me a perfect 100% primal dinner finished up with cake... they watched me get older by just blowing out the candle.

Oh yeah.... and I haven't mucked it up with a girlfriend or anything that silly.

I think I'll go surfing now.... maybe paddle later, followed by a stop at the local bar.... then I'll hang out on the Zone till midnight. Sucks.... but someone has to do it  ;)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
My wife was already scheming on how she could keep surfing if I didn't recover from this recent heart attack.  She went 4 times while I was out of commission if you think I'm making this up. Our tax return is probably going to a new board...for her. 

Where's the line for SUP widowers?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
SUP widow
Windsurf widow
Working on my boards widow
Watching racing on the tube widow
Watching some NFL on the tube widow
Typing on various forums widow

I'm in deep shit.  :P
But I cook most dinners.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
I think that was me that Headmount was quoting. My wife was my business partner, which puts an interesting spin on everything. I know a lot of people assume she's a trophy wife--she's beautiful, much younger than me, likes to dress well and is obsessive about being good to her friends and family. I'm a self-centered geek slob who is hooked on adrenalin. It's really kind of remarkable that she wants to hang around with me, but we have a great relationship despite the fact that the only common interest we share is reading.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »
There are times, I almost wish I had an SUP widow.
Mine loves the ocean and stand up surfing and touring.
Sometimes that means I don't get to paddle out at the break I would like to, given the conditions.  But she is fun to surf with.
She keeps me balanced and also lets me off the leash sometimes too!
So I guess I have got it pretty good.

8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 01:39:11 PM »
Fascinating thread.  (I'm not kidding)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
Yup, I hear ya man cuz doing what you want when you want is the best! ;D After my 15 year marriage ended in divorce and cost me a fortune for the next 8 years, I had a lot of FUN dating a series of beautiful women that were way younger than me. Then I made the mistake of staying with one that was drop dead gorgeous (and like a monkey on a cupcake in bed I might add :P) but controlling as hell, and god bless her, batshit crazy with two equally batshit crazy teenage spawn. I can honestly say that last one finally cured me of the relationship thing once and for all. (Well, maybe when I'm 75 I'll get me a nice 25 year old Philippina girl.)

As far as the surfing widow thing...   

My ex-wife was actually pretty cool to not hassle me about surfing, but there were a few times on Maui in the winter where I'd stay out after sunset hoping to get that one last big perfect west-swell ride at Kuau - and then the wind would shut down (I was windsurfing) and I'd have to schlep my equipment through the sharky waters of Tavares Bay in the dark. This was pre cell phone days so by the time I rolled into the driveway hours later she'd be blowing smoke out of her ears and demanding that I get life insurance. I can't blame her for worrying so I complied and got the insurance in case she ended up as a real widow with two young kids.

My wife has another husband that keeps her happy.
I just show up for holidays....sit and enjoy the hell out of the great food and company.
I never bring anything and I never lift a finger to help..... I know.... childish of me, but it's a little perk I  take for donating my wife to a needy non surfer.

In fact I went over there just last night, when my daughters made me a perfect 100% primal dinner finished up with cake... they watched me get older by just blowing out the candle.

Oh yeah.... and I haven't mucked it up with a girlfriend or anything that silly.

I think I'll go surfing now.... maybe paddle later, followed by a stop at the local bar.... then I'll hang out on the Zone till midnight. Sucks.... but someone has to do it  ;)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
"When sharks attack us,
  Its good to have a SUP spouse.
  Who paddles slower than you."
                                           - Anonymous
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
My wife is slowly getting into SUP, crousing. I enjoy her company. But every time we plan to go together complexity skyrockets.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »
"...complexity skyrockets." Hah, so true. We couldn't get out the door until at least noon because of everything she was doing. Couldn't go to the mellow uncrowded beaches that had no bathrooms and required having to climb down a cliff, which meant going to crowded beaches with bathrooms and impossible to find parking. Aaargh.

My wife is slowly getting into SUP, crousing. I enjoy her company. But every time we plan to go together complexity skyrockets.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
That's the reason I'm happy that my wife doesn't share my many passions for scaring the crap out of myself. When she does decide she "should" go along, the complexity skyrockets and delays abound. She's actually way better about getting rolling than any of the other women I've been around, but still...

And if things go a little south, she's a major league panicker. I have to shift a lot of attention from managing the situation to managing her. Not ideal. So I'm just as happy that she isn't along. Especially since I'm looking at spindrift blasting across the bay at my house, and I'm on the 1:00 shuttle.

I've had moments when I've been jealous of the relationship Admin has with Chan, who is braver than Dick Tracy. But then I come to my senses and remember all the times she kicked my ass.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:12:49 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
I've had a wive and I've had several girlfriends that surfed. My current GF surfs and paddles. I like that. We can paddle flat water anywhere while on a road trip or just cruise on the coast while we are at home.

When the surf gets punchy, she breaks out her boogie board and I get stressed out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal