Author Topic: BEER!!!  (Read 4852 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
BEER!!!
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
Ok now that I got your attention, is anyone aware if Kona Brewing is having some issues?  They used to sponsor a pretty big event here in San Diego called Tiki Oasis and pulled out a couple years ago.  Also their Koko Brown is no longer available except from the actual tap if you go to one of their two breweries in Hi. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BEER!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
The IPA world is a game changer, and S.D.'s got some good breweries! Maybe they're Vogged out:)

As in Kona VOG...... for those who haven't experienced mother natures gift.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »
Shelf space is limited and with literally hundreds of very good craft breweries here in California, something's gotta give. .. I just wish it was bud/coors/miller/any-dozen-yawner-offerings.

Beer for the day: Belching Beaver Horchata Imperial Stout

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
Well I live in San Diego and there are tons and tons of good breweries right here in town amongst all the good ones in California.  I live right where Hillcrest, North Park and Univ Heights meet and there are more breweries with in spitting distance than I can count.  Belching Beaver has a tasking room in North Park the brewery itself in in North County.  So yeah I can see the competition being a factor.  Still I was just wondering if anyone who lives in Hi knows of any issues with Kona.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
I don't think so. My car racing buddy, Cameron Healy, is the founder. Sold it a few years ago to Craft Brewing in Portland. They haven't been doing bottling in Hawaii for a long time--all the bottled beers are brewed and bottled in Oregon. Lots more stuff available at the brewery in Kona than the bottled stuff. Brown ales and stouts are a very small part of the market. Kona is one of the fastest growing brands on the Mainland and they are probably streamlining the lineup to make distribution easier.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »
I love BEER. I am at the office tonight with my crew, we are putting together some plans and estimates. Kona Longboard half rack was gone hours ago.

Now it is just a hodge podge of whatever is in the beer fridge.
Make paddleboarding great again!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »
This thread just reminded me that I received a $100 gift certificate from Annapolis Home Brew (http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/en/) back at Christmas.  I've never home brewed but I'm thinking I need to give it a whirl.

I think I want to do some sort of pale ale or pilsner and even gin up some cool bottle labels with a SUP/SUS theme (i.e., personalized brew name and logo).   My forum name, (WhatsSUP), might be a place to start in terms of a brew name(?)  Open to suggestions!

Any of you guys do anything like this?

Todd,
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:12:35 AM »
I homebrewed for a couple of years with an old neighbor. When he moved away, I lost interest. Recently, I gave all my brewing equipment to my brother-in-law. He and his neighbor have worts fermenting right now. It's a lot of fun figuring out how not to make crap. " This one kinda tastes funky sweet." Not a big investment. Buy some books or Youtube I'm sure.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »
I started home brewing about 20 years ago. Then I got smart and turned my neighbor on to it. When he built a shed just for brewing I stopped. He has a very sophisticated small batch (30 gal) setup now. He grows his own hops, over the top on beer knowledge. He's made some of the best beers I've ever tasted. He has a portable tap setup in a little red wagon and brings 2 or 3 beers on tap to all the neighborhood BBQ's. Did I mention he is a great neighbor?.... ;) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:22:47 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
Ok now that I got your attention, is anyone aware if Kona Brewing is having some issues?  They used to sponsor a pretty big event here in San Diego called Tiki Oasis and pulled out a couple years ago.  Also their Koko Brown is no longer available except from the actual tap if you go to one of their two breweries in Hi.

Kona Beer is readily available here in San Diego, however, I haven't seen Koko Brown in over a year. Koko Brown is my favorite Kona beer; it gives me a Aloha vibe whenever I drink it!  My guess is that it is competition for shelf space.

Kona Beer is made by the Craft Brew Alliance (http://craftbrew.com/brands/), the NW brewers who also make Red Hook, Widmer Brothers, and Omission Gluten Free Beer. All are very good, IMHO. 

Koko Brown is probably unavailable here due to competition for shelf space.  If Koko Brown is one of your favs, try Red Hook Mudslinger Brown Ale, if you can find it.   It's no wonder, since local brews such as Ballast Point, Coronado Brewery,  Stone Brewing, and Karl Strauss fill our craft beer shelves.

MAX

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
Kona  also brews under license at the Red Hook brewery in Portsmouth, NH. I used to love their Koko Brown and Pipeline Porter, neither of which I have seen for some time.  I know they are seasonal Fall brews, but didn't see them around last fall.  The Castaway IPA is pretty nice, enjoying one as I type this.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
Kona  also brews under license at the Red Hook brewery in Portsmouth, NH. I used to love their Koko Brown and Pipeline Porter, neither of which I have seen for some time.  I know they are seasonal Fall brews, but didn't see them around last fall.  The Castaway IPA is pretty nice, enjoying one as I type this.

+1 on Pipeline Porter, one of the two best in the Kona Brewing Co. lineup!

MAX

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Additional research indicates PB is right...our Kona favorites are now only available on tap in Hawaii.  :'(

See: http://konabrewingco.com/find-beer/

On the bright side, we now have additional rationale for an annual trek to the Waterman's paradise.  8)

MAX

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »

Kona Beer is readily available here in San Diego, however, I haven't seen Koko Brown in over a year. Koko Brown is my favorite Kona beer; it gives me a Aloha vibe whenever I drink it!  My guess is that it is competition for shelf space.

I also live in here in San Diego.  Well I guess there is always Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter which quite honestly I think is better but Koko Brown was a little less on the pocket book being that what we had here in California was not actually brewed in Hawaii.  You can get Maui Coconut Porter on tap at Fathom on Shelter Island. 

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:22:59 AM »
First home brew was bottled this weekend (used a Munich Helles receipe).  Expected to be ready Memorial Day weekend.

Label courtesy of google images...name "Endless Summer Ale" not all that original, but what the heck.   8)

It was fun.

::)

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal