Author Topic: State of the Sport 2015  (Read 47128 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: State of the Sport 2015
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
Not sure format change helps much. Sure the UI isn't snappy but I'm more of the not broken don't fix type. I'm not sure how much easier it can be to post pics or video either. Even folks that have been self described as computer challenged have figured it out.

The zone being more friendly to women simply means treating them as equals, something I've always done anyway.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:24:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
Since this thread has really gone into "the state of the zone" I'll add my thoughts.
I have stumbled across many, many forums searching out whatever.....how to do something, how to fix something, etc. Tahoe, Suburban, etc. dishwasher, golf, club building, fishing, carp fishing, fly fishing, muskie fishing, trout fishing, sup, kayak, ski, xc ski, Giants, Niners, etc, etc, etc. (politics or guns? I am sure I have but by golly, can't think of an exact instance off the top of my head). For the most part all have the same.....basic feel when you fall into the middle of whatever you have searched out. Kind of look the same, click here, click that.....categories, search more here for this or that. Some were to get a chore done. Some searching out gear or advice or something of the like. I am sure I was searching out something like that when I found this place. Some have to do with things I like. Things I like alot. Never have stuck around another one except a fishing one and I don't follow or post like here. It is regional and that is really probably the only reason I am there still and darn if it isn't the hardest place to post a picture. Full of bloat. It is a national one splintered off into states and so much other stuff it is pretty bloaty and it just doesn't have the "feel" of this place. Closest one I can think of to this place is tgr as far as.........returnable attraction but that's just me and I think it has to do with the members more than anything of attracting and keeping people. I am sure many people stumbled through here for very similar reasons as I did and kept coming back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:59:05 PM by lucabrasi »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2015, 07:30:23 PM »
First, you guys got my opinion, and kudos to the admin for  taking what I said graciously. I know it's a mostly thankless job.

Also remember that I am very likely wrong. ;)

That said, I know a lot about framework software, my company makes one. And yes, you'll kill yourself trying to code it alone. (Ours is aimed at corporate video, not  forums but I know what you can and can't do so I'm not just a hater sitting on the sidelines saying "you oughta".) Small customizations can be made but I'm sure you keep up on the dev. We moved to a responsive design last year and it's so much nicer for all users. I trust that you'll stay on it, but keep on the primary devs about the media stuff, it's live or die to a group.

And yes, we come here for the users and info. Thanks for giving us a place and keeping it sane. Some other forums have devolved to where it's hard and painful to participate.

It's also nice to give my ad revenue to a small business instead of Facebook and Google making every dollar online. Peace

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

The zone being more friendly to women simply means treating them as equals, something I've always done anyway.

I treat most of them as superiors because they pretty much rule over us guys.  Women's intuition vs men's wishful thinking.   Guess which one is usually  right.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2015, 03:51:18 AM »
First, you guys got my opinion, and kudos to the admin for  taking what I said graciously. I know it's a mostly thankless job.

Also remember that I am very likely wrong. ;)

That said, I know a lot about framework software, my company makes one. And yes, you'll kill yourself trying to code it alone. (Ours is aimed at corporate video, not  forums but I know what you can and can't do so I'm not just a hater sitting on the sidelines saying "you oughta".) Small customizations can be made but I'm sure you keep up on the dev. We moved to a responsive design last year and it's so much nicer for all users. I trust that you'll stay on it, but keep on the primary devs about the media stuff, it's live or die to a group.

Hi SC, No offense taken at all.  I appreciate the concern. 

Responsive is in Beta for the SMF platform and default theme that we use in the upcoming 2.1 version.  Here is a link.  You might recognize the forum theme :) http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=530233.msg3764642#msg3764642

I am hopeful that this happens on time but these can go long so I want to set low expectations.  We should see a hugely improved mobile experience when that is running.  We have been transitioning to responsive on all of our sites this year and are begining the go live process on our big daddy starting this week.  Wish me luck.  It is always way more work it than it sounds like.  Troubleshooting for 14 resolutions.  Whoopee!

Basically, If you can't operate all major functions of a site with your thumb...it is a failure.  Brave new world.  Mobile (including tablet) is now 55% of Zone traffic.

Let me know what type of added functionality you would like to see added for media sharing.  Photos (emebedded and uploaded) are part of the core.  Videos are handled by a plug in.  There are options available for both but this is the best combo I have found.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:12:49 AM by Admin »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »
A forum isn’t a magazine. the content is what the members choose to post. Discussions that turn to issues like this always wind up in the same place—with someone wanting to control what other people do. I find that much more abhorrent than some relatively innocent pictures (Does anyone really believe people are getting stiffys over these????).

At the far end of the discussion is the simple truth that anyone can create a forum if they want more control over what people see and do. And then see if you can find anyone to come.

People hang out in place like this because they like the people and the discussions. If they don’t, they don’t. Wanting the place to be different in some particular aspect says more about you than it does about the forum.

word. Control is way overrated.

Now that I think of it, it’s mostly an association with some particular incidents, some stretching back forty years, but some just recently. I bet some people here remember the soft fuzzy hairy euro guy that SUP surfed Kanaha (badly) last November in a speedo. He was very pleased with himself and his opportunity to display whatever it was he was displaying. Oh, the horror. And then there was the really weird guy two years ago strutting around various Maui beaches in white speedo with suspicious tan blotches all over it. Looking at him was like seeing a possum squashed by the side of the road. You had to look a second time, but you spend a long time wishing you hadn’t.

hahaha. Gotta love forums. Discussion of the “State of the sport” quickly went to HotBabes and then rapidly declined into talk about Banana Hammocks.

So, back to the “State of Sport 2015”: top athletes always set the trend. Looks like Travis Grant is launching a Speedo trend. Probably vastly more efficient upwind. So better shape up and get ready to go speedo shopping. (jump to 2:00 for the Speedo paddling)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:32:07 AM by yugi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
I will not be seen sporting a speedo anytime soon....traumatic memories. Last time I wore a speedo I was 20 years old partying on Negril Beach and had a bunch of women from Wisconsin try to molest me and steal the flowers and bananas I had tucked inside...... ;) ???
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
Speedos, no.  But rowing trunks would make a lot more sense for racing than baggie boardshorts.

...traumatic memories.
Mighta been no picnic for them either, Stoney...   ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
LOL....I shoulda placed a bet....I figured you would be the 1st to comment on that. I actually expected a little more creativity than that....you're slipping..... :)
Bob

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Better me than this guy --  :o
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »
What city is Travis Grant doing the video? Australia?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »
Much mo betta....:)

It's actually a slightly more bizarre story than it even sounds..... :o

Speaking of the state of the sport and somewhat loosely linked to the other discussions here....I wonder if they have naked SUP at Hedonism? The poster for the aforementioned Jamaican vacation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:29:49 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
There's a good chance that the majority of female (and perhaps male) paddlers are flatwater paddlers.  Most of us aren't on a coast.  The forum, though, tends to lean more towards paddle surfing, which is, I guess, more exciting than lakes and rivers.  I know there are paddlers in the Southeast, and yet in the Regional section, this area isn't very active.  I don't know how to pull more people in.
I'm all about the big wave talk, shark talk, gear talk, etc, but if the forum had more threads about inland paddling that were interesting, more women would show up.
Does this forum advertise?  Before anyone can post, they need to know it's here.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
In Portland, there seems to be huge participation among women.  I get asked about how to get started paddling by way more women than men.  There's a standup facebook page here-- Stand Up Portland--don't know the actual numbers breakdown, but women are at least as active as men in posts, and the most common posts seem to be women organizing meetups for paddles.  Otherwise, the topics are all unisex--paddlers are paddlers all with similar interests.  SUPs are also now common props in catalogs for women's athletic wear--Athleta, etc.  Having standup get linked with yoga seems huge for getting women involved with standup. 

I recommend standupzone to new people all the time, and since so many are women it seems some growth in women here is inevitable.  Not being one myself, I don't know what would make this site more attractive for women, but my guess is they'll come here for the same reasons guys do--general advice, gear reviews, etc.  If there are topics of special interest to women, they'll generate them themselves.  It seems most efforts to intentionally attract women to something are patronizing and horrible--the "pink board syndrome".

You're right about "pink board syndrome".  The last thing I'm interested in is a bunch of girly sup gear.  I'm also sure that most paddling women aren't doing yoga on their boards, so that assumption needs to go away, too.  Good topics, good input and advice, tasteful appreciation------that will bring the women in.  Once they know the forum exists.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
Things to improve on so women will be more likely to try SUP:

They need to make boards lighter so women can load them onto there cars easier.
The car racks need to be smarter, like secure themselves.
They need a big strap handle you can put over your shoulder.
They need to make boards wide enough to do yoga on. Not just the little miss thong size either!
They need at least one cup holder, and a spot for a towel.
They need to stay in one place while doing yoga, or in the middle of a very important conversation with a friend.
They need to come with matching rash guards and workout shorts.
They need to be shorter as to not be an issue in the Starbucks drive thru.
And the fins need to be reversible so they can be loaded on the car either way. I don't want to talk about this one anymore!  ::)

No offense, but this is an example of what will NOT attract women to this forum!  Or to the sport, actually.  It's kind of funny, though, because you're exactly right about this particular type!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:02:05 PM by spirit4earth »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard