Author Topic: State of the Sport 2015  (Read 47003 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
State of the Sport 2015
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:53:55 AM »
Spring is here and as always it is interesting to have a look at the state of the sport in terms of growth, stats, etc.

3 Weeks into April, the Zone is seeing over 25% more users than last year.  Users refers to both registered Zoners and guests alike. 

Women are now at 11%.  Sounds low but that has doubled.

44% of users are under 45 Years Old.  That number is also growing.  Under 35 has seen the largest bump.

Interest in Surf is growing modestly again but significantly trails general interest in the sport.

All of the above is based on Zone specifics.  Google Trends has the important SUP search terms down slightly from last year (with the exception of "Stand Up Boards" which is up modestly.  This likely has more to do with changing search and info gathering habits than it does sport health. 

Summary: Expect company at your local spots this year. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:58:58 AM by Admin »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: State of the Sport 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »
Good info.  I'm curious re: the industry at large (esp in the US)..

* sales breakdown:  inland locations vs. oceanside (surf specific shapes)
* sales breakdown:  inflatable vs. hardboards.  The # of iSUP variations the big companies offer now is a bit ridiculous, but they must feel the demand is there or will be there going fwd..
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:11 AM »
Good info.  I'm curious re: the industry at large (esp in the US)..

* sales breakdown:  inland locations vs. oceanside (surf specific shapes)
* sales breakdown:  inflatable vs. hardboards.  The # of iSUP variations the big companies offer now is a bit ridiculous, but they must feel the demand is there or will be there going fwd..

Sales figures are tough for all sports and are highly inaccurate.  Especially now.  It used to be easier as the large brick and mortar venues and some specialty shops would report to trade groups and that made up a significant percentage of sales.  In the internet age most have no interest in sharing their sales info and if they did it would only be to mislead their competition :).  Anecdotal is as good as it gets.

We are seeing growth from all US locations but the rate of growth in California, Hawaii and Florida have moderated where the other states are ramping up.  We saw this start gaining momentum last year and that acceleration is continuing.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:07:35 AM by Admin »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
When ever I go out in Mission Bay on a nice warm day or any other flat water spot it seems women make up at least half if not more amongst paddlers out that day.  If the biggest growth is in recreational flat water paddling and based on what I see, yeah 11 percent seems low and perhaps not very accurate.

On another note, how can we get more women and also more people of both genders under 40 to post on the Zone?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:41:52 AM by surf4food »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
When ever I go out in Mission Bay on a nice warm day or any other flat water spot it seems women make up at least half if not more amongst paddlers out that day.  If the biggest growth is in recreational flat water paddling and based on what I see, yeah 11 percent seems low and perhaps not very accurate.

On another note, how can we get more women and also more people of both genders under 40 to post on the Zone?

I see the same thing here (Hood River) in terms of women.  Pretty close to 50% on the water.  These are site usage statistics which simply tell us who is using the Zone. This may have more to do with who is doing the online gear research and possibly subsequent purchases over who is doing the riding.  Interesting however that those segments are rising so quickly.  That is new.

In answer to your second question, we could welcome more women and young people by killing the Hot Chicks thread and we could stop talking about our Plantar Somethinghurtsitis and low T counts, but we aren't likely to do any of those things.  It smells like old guy balls around here...but its home.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:12:39 AM by Admin »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »

In answer to your second question, we could welcome more women and young people by killing the Hot Chicks thread and we could stop talking about our Plantar Somethinghurtsitis and low T counts, but we aren't likely to do any of those things.  It smells like old guy balls around here...but its home.
[/quote]

Ha ha yep.  I'm no spring chicken myself at 53 but it would be nice to interact with others outside my own demographic on here and I'd like to think I am still young at heart, maybe bordering on immature;) 

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
In my anecdotal experience, soccermoms here in New England tend to perk up when you discuss SUP; they are interested, mention they really want to try it, etc.  No doubt they've seen nice glossy SUP yoga photos in their women's magazines.

Having said that, I doubt busy soccermoms have the time or inclination to hang out on the Zone. 
"Recent posts" vs. "Recent threads" was bad enough.  The hotchicks thread is tasteful.  Killing it would be a FIASCO!!  :(   ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:41:26 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
The amount of boards vs kayaks on top of cars was getting close to or past 50/50 last summer for certain. Not among locals necessarily, I think kayaks still outnumber boards on the local front because of the river but that is increasing too. For the tourists the amount changed enormously. Tho increasing each year before it was last summer that was most noticeable in terms of what type of watercraft is getting taken on vacation.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
The soccermoms who are interested is one thing, but there's no shortage of soccermoms and non soccermoms already active in the sport and how do we get them interested in at least giving this site a lurk or even join up and post stuff and counter balance threads like hot chicks (I don't want that to go away either) and "Somethinghurtsits" cuz I'm an old bastard?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »
If it makes you feel any better half the guys who surf Mavericks are over 40. 

I was out there the other day with (a guy named) Christi Davis who started surfing there the same week as Grant Washburn 24 year ago and he is 63.  That morning he had caught 3 waves before I was even able to get comfortable  :o

And I am only 18.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
^^As I said I'm no spring chicken either at 53 and just to be clear I certainly don't want the gears shifted to be the polar opposite.  Yes the Mav vets are now mostly over 40 and even Kelly Slater has passed that mark. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
Seeing how busy I am right now in the building industry, is proof the economy is charging back. The cities are back to farming out our plan checks to independent firms. The construction loan business is back, and booming. Credit is loosening up. "2008 what? That was a long time ago. Honey, i think we should look at buying some Standup Paddle Boards this weekend........
while were at Costco." Hot dogs!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
In Portland, there seems to be huge participation among women.  I get asked about how to get started paddling by way more women than men.  There's a standup facebook page here-- Stand Up Portland--don't know the actual numbers breakdown, but women are at least as active as men in posts, and the most common posts seem to be women organizing meetups for paddles.  Otherwise, the topics are all unisex--paddlers are paddlers all with similar interests.  SUPs are also now common props in catalogs for women's athletic wear--Athleta, etc.  Having standup get linked with yoga seems huge for getting women involved with standup. 

I recommend standupzone to new people all the time, and since so many are women it seems some growth in women here is inevitable.  Not being one myself, I don't know what would make this site more attractive for women, but my guess is they'll come here for the same reasons guys do--general advice, gear reviews, etc.  If there are topics of special interest to women, they'll generate them themselves.  It seems most efforts to intentionally attract women to something are patronizing and horrible--the "pink board syndrome".

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
My impression locally is that I'm still seeing pretty good growth in overall numbers but not much in surf.

I'm guessing women are about 30% of SUPs overall but maybe only 5% surf here in new England. Almost none that I know are on the zone despite my mentioning it more than a few times. Most are on FB and pretty active there. I think it's the old guys balls smell admin talks of.

Getting more ladies here....easy....do a men of the zone calendar. I'll volunteer for the spread (it will take that much to show all my magnificence).... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
To touch on what PDX has mentioned, the growth of SUP among women in general is growing rapidly, and I have noticed this in BC. I see female paddlers more often than males now and I also get asked about the sport and how to get into SUP much more by women than males. Women go out in groups more often paddling and enjoy activities such as yoga classes on a SUP, which is getting very popular. The versatility of the sport is really drawing in the female demographic. By far, the most popular board among females I have noticed  is the all around 10'-12' type surf boards. I have been asked quite a few times why my board looks so different(displacement touring), and when I explain what it's for, then interest goes up a bit more. The all around surf boards are just an easier sale because of the smaller size and generally lighter weight, and throw in the word yoga specific, and it hits a broader demographic among females.

As far as a younger demographic in males and females using the zone on a regular basis? Not going to happen. The popular threads around here are retirement related with a lot of topics on the zone having an over 50 vibe going. Just the way it is. Great site for information on gear and how to get started, but younger paddlers aren't likely to stick around once they get the information they are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:53:04 AM by robon »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal