Author Topic: More Maui Photos  (Read 6000 times)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
More Maui Photos
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »
Seasons are changing and more of my sessions moving to the south side.  I took some shots on Sunday morning down at Makena, here's a few in the clear waters over there.

All photos shot with the GoPro 3+ set on 30 fps / 1 sec.
 8)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: More Maui Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:43:52 PM »
Those aren't very good.   ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
J-E-L-L-O ..pretty.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
Soooo crisp....GoPole stills?

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »
Soooo crisp....GoPole stills?

Yea, actually went down there at dark to try some flash with the gopro that didn't work out too well.  I had good luck at home, but trying to fire the flash and also hit the button on the gopro in surf wasn't as easy.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
Some questions.
I don't think I've ever got anywhere near that clear of a shot with my old GoPro 2. I have a Canon PowerShot a590 in a bag that takes great water shots, with vivid color. Do you do a lot of editing to get the color depth in your photos, or are those basically raw?

Here is one I took of my son with the bagged little PowerShot Canon. It's not great, but it did stop the water droplets, and the color is better than I get with my Rebel T2i with a good piece of glass. I wonder why that is?

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
Beautiful! It's amazing how far the technology has come that you can take such crystal clear shots with an inexpensive GoPro!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
GoPro 3 was really a game changer with regards to how good the stills are.   The GoPro 4 is even better.

Here is a 1/30 second shot from the 3+.  You just take the video @ 1080P and grab single best frame.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Some questions.
I don't think I've ever got anywhere near that clear of a shot with my old GoPro 2. I have a Canon PowerShot a590 in a bag that takes great water shots, with vivid color. Do you do a lot of editing to get the color depth in your photos, or are those basically raw?

Here is one I took of my son with the bagged little PowerShot Canon. It's not great, but it did stop the water droplets, and the color is better than I get with my Rebel T2i with a good piece of glass. I wonder why that is?

Yes, I post process almost all shots.  The lighting has alot to do with those shots also.  The sun shines right into the face of the waves and the water at Makena beach is extremely clear.  The best colors are from sunrise for about an hour, as most photogs call the "golden hour", just after sunrise and just before sunset.

Here's a quick process I did on your shot. so you can compare.

A quick and easy photo editor is Picasa by Google. https://picasa.google.com/  It also organizes your photos on your computer.  I've used it for years and it works well for the beginner jpeg files.  I don't mess with RAW with my stuff, my photos are strictly hobby.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:29 PM »
More info on exactly what you did  :o  Whatever it was it definitely makes things POP.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
I use a free program called 'PhotoScape', but I've never messed with any in depth editing.  I just messed around with the Saturation, Deepen, Color Curve and Sharpen tools. I can see how they really effect the final result.
So "Here's my before and after photo from North Shore last week."
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
Jason, what do you do to keep water droplets off the lens?
I tried rain-x but it didn't help.... whats your secret? Please ;-)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
Jason, what do you do to keep water droplets off the lens?
I tried rain-x but it didn't help.... whats your secret? Please ;-)

Lick and dunk.  Oldest water photog trick.  Saliva works best

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
The mask pictures made me think of another great recommendation.  Last summer in the East Coast I bought one of these masks off Amazon.  Cheap Speedo I figure.

NO WAY.  This was quite literally the best mask I ever purchased because IT DOES NOT FOG. "Exclusive Anti Fog coating" really works.

I took the family to Australia and bought a pair for everyone before we left.  I left the old expensive Tempered Glass crap mask at home.  We were on the snorkel/dive boat and they were offering to put our mask in the anti-fog rinse.  "No thanks" I said "We're covered."   It was great.  No foggy eyes for mom or the kids.

PS: The GoPro is also great underwater.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:54:14 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Wow, instant buttkick talldude, only a small improvement on your photo--like transforming Roseanne Roseannadanna into Scarlet Johansen.

You should be ashamed for posting that crap. I will never post a picture again. Incidentally, Scarlett needs work, that upper lip is a little funky.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:09:36 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal