Author Topic: Paddle flex - Kialoa insanity adjustable  (Read 5491 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Paddle flex - Kialoa insanity adjustable
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »
Hello everyone,   I have been using a Kialoa insanity adjustable,  91sq in blade.   I am tall,  6'4" so using it extended almost all the way.   It's all I know,  starting my second year surfing with a 9ft 150 ltr board.   The paddle seems to flex a lot when I dig in a few strokes to catch a wave.   My body type is thin (170lb),  not a muscle man by any means. 
   What is the performance implications of the flex ?   Am I getting this energy back ?  Does the flex help in any way or take away from my wave catching power?  It's a fiberglass shaft,  I can see the flex to the point that don't pull as hard as I could.    I really don't want to change what I am using till I am good enough to know what I want,  and also question the blade area for the surfing.   

Any input is appreciated.  JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle flex - Kialoa insanity adjustable
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »
Nice paddle, probably big enough, but you probably need a stiffer shaft. Fiberglass shaft flex a lot, and you don't really get the power back. Yes, it flexes back as your stroke evens out, but the pull at the reach is more valuable than pull at the end of the stroke. A tiny bit of flex is good, it gives the blade a chance to settle and gets some air off the face, but if it feels funky to you, you're probably ready for something higher performance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:53:49 PM »
I'm also 6'4'' and have two Kialoa Insanity paddles.. Ond adjustable and one fixed.. Both round shaft and both carbon.. I mostly use the fixed length..

My fixed length Insanity is for allround flat water use and is 83'' long.. It's nice and stiff with a slight flex in the blade which I like..

When I extend my adjustable out to 83'' the flex difference is HUGE.. It's way too flexy for my likeing.. My adjustable is an emergency back up or for friends to use..

With yours being fibreglass I can see why you're concerned about the flex.. The fiberglass Insanity is designed as an entry level paddle IMO..

If you're after better performance you should consider a fixed length paddle and with a carbon shaft.. I love my fixed length Insanity and use it often..

I just took a couple of pics of my two Insanity's..

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:16:07 AM by DavidJohn »

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
DavidJohn,   are you happy with the size of the paddle blade ?  (I assume the carbon version has the same blade size I do)

JP

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
DavidJohn,   are you happy with the size of the paddle blade ?  (I assume the carbon version has the same blade size I do)

JP

Yes.. perfect size IMO..

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
but the pull at the reach is more valuable than pull at the end of the stroke

That makes sense.

I should avoid trying out someone's carbon paddle for a while or I will realize that I need a better one.   Those ke Nalu x-tuff's look like a good value for 300$.

JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
xTuf(s) has some controlled flex, you'd find the 100 Flex to be stiffer. You can combine an xTuf blade with a 100 Flex shaft.

Lots of people who don't like flex like xTuf(s) shafts because they lock up pretty quickly, I like them too, but as my shoulders have improved I've migrated to mostly 100Flex for that little bit more stiffness.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
...but the pull at the reach is more valuable than pull at the end of the stroke.

Why is that? I know catch feels good, but I would think that the blade face is better angled at the end of the stroke, ie perpendicular to direction of travel.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
Mostly ergonomics, your muscles are extended and the big ones are positioned well. As you pull your core movement completes and you go to smaller stuff. At least that what I think. The proof is in the measurements, which generally show more power in the beginning of the stroke.

There's a simple test anyone can try. Find your maximum reach, put a piece of tape there, then find where you generally pull your paddle out, and put tape there. Divide the distance in half and put tape there. For the reach test, pull your paddle at race pace just until you reach the middle tape, then stop pulling and recover as normal. Then reach as normal but only start pulling when the blade reaches the middle tape. Other factors intrude, the test is a bit clumsy, but you'll get a pretty good idea where the power is.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
"...but the pull at the reach is more valuable than pull at the end of the stroke."

PB is right. The discussion parallels that of flex in cycling frames.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »
...more power in the beginning of the stroke.

When watching the video of Will Schmidt doing his Catalina trip I thought his stroke was odd at times. Soon after I was caught in some rough water and I found that his short high repetition stroke was best to keep moving through disorganized waves and slop. His stroke length was very abbreviated and way out front. Interesting.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
I have been using a Kialoa insanity adjustable,  91sq in blade.   I am tall,  6'4" so using it extended almost all the way.   It's all I know,  starting my second year surfing with a 9ft 150 ltr board.   The paddle seems to flex a lot when I dig in a few strokes to catch a wave.   

The Leverlock adjustable system that the Insanity employs is GREAT, unless you're 6'4.  Fully extended, you're going to have a lot of flex originating from the point where the shaft meets the Leverlock shaft/handle... because you only have a couple inches of the leverlock still in the shaft.  Does that make sense? 

IMO that is probably the cause of the flex you're feeling, not necessarily the shaft itself.  I've used that paddle quite a bit and experienced just that ... and you have 2 inches on me.   

If you're not ready to upgrade yet, try shortening it while you're surfing.  A few inches should help. 

Then get the Xtuf(s)!   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 09:32:35 AM »
Mitchell,   I will try shortening the paddle and see how it feels flex wise.   Also I have never tried to fine-tune the length at all,  I just set it to 6'4 and go.   So not sure how it will feel length wise.   I have been trying to keep my variables to a minimum as I am learning.   Some times i find myself not gripping the t-handle and just the shaft below,   happens when I am trying to get a quick pull in with waves or whitewater coming at me.  (and that doesn't feel bad in terms of length)

JP

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »

Some times i find myself not gripping the t-handle and just the shaft below,   happens when I am trying to get a quick pull in with waves or whitewater coming at me.  (and that doesn't feel bad in terms of length)

JP

That's a good sign, as you're already seeing some of the benefits of going a little shorter.  Should make the transition easier. 

Setting to 6'4 will put the length 8" above your head.  Maybe try at 6"2 and go down incrementally from there... should add a little stiffness, and also help with paddling for waves, etc.  Since you'll soon be in the market for an upgrade anyway, now is a good time to start experimenting with paddle length. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal