Author Topic: Renewing the pfd question  (Read 17827 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Renewing the pfd question
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. The USCG is not looking to give out tickets, just keep people safe.
http://www.nrs.com/learn/uscg-regulations-for-sup.asp

1. Websites like NRS are not a good resource for regulation information. Someone show me where the CG requires a type three belt pack inflatable to be worn.

2. How is carrying a PFD, worn or otherwise, going to keep anyone safe?

You can read the Code of Federal Regulations (33 CFR), but some other websites like this one are a much easier read.

A website may be easier to read but I wouldn't rely on them for truthful information.

They probably didn't even bother to look up the regs and could be relying mostly on hearsay, yet they print it and people believe it.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:37:31 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
Would you rather have yet another little piece of plastic that takes 100,000 years to degrade polluting our waters, or a small piece of natural wood, that will degrade?
I find your question degrading.  And readily deplorable.  :)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
Would you rather have yet another little piece of plastic that takes 100,000 years to degrade polluting our waters, or a small piece of natural wood, that will degrade?
I find your question degrading.  And readily deplorable.  :)

Good, cuz I'm floating the idea of rearming for another.

Now let's stop  :P
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »
And for the record, if you attach what appears to be a bright yellow "pull to inflate handle" to your CamelBak hydration pack, with say a safety pin, the coast guard lets you go by without any fuss.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
And for the record, if you attach what appears to be a bright yellow "pull to inflate handle" to your CamelBak hydration pack, with say a safety pin, the coast guard lets you go by without any fuss.

Ha, that's a great idea, someone should order a bunch of those for the Zone.

PFD regs are deplorable but I could easily comply with that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:13:33 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »

I've got a buddy who might be able to make some. He's looking for something to do after just returning from his deplorement in Afghanistan.

I also like the idea of complying with the pfd rules with something you wear.  I've tried strapping one to my board but found it doesn't leave enough room for my fire extinguisher.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »
The type III inflatables do not have to be worn to be legal. BUT THE CO2 HAS TO BE INSTALLED PROPERLY AND THE GREEN INDICATOR VISIBLE! I use an MTI type III inflatable and have worn it for over 3 years. I have never had to deploy it so I am not sure why I'd ever worry about spending $25 on a replacement cartridge needed only very rarely. I certainly wouldn't "hack" a device whose sole purpose is saving my life, over $25.
http://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/life-jacket-wear-wearing-your-life-jacket.php

Yup....but does anyone ever look that close?

I can attest to that....I had a friend avoid getting grief from CG by showing them his waste hydration pack, and another enter a race (when he forgot his PFD) with a fanny pack ..... :o

It's kind of silly of me to not have it engaged but like I said its mostly for show 90% of the time. I wouldn't worry about hacking it though.  Like addapost I've never had a need to use it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:59:53 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »
The type III inflatables do not have to be worn to be legal. BUT THE CO2 HAS TO BE INSTALLED PROPERLY AND THE GREEN INDICATOR VISIBLE! I use an MTI type III inflatable and have worn it for over 3 years. I have never had to deploy it so I am not sure why I'd ever worry about spending $25 on a replacement cartridge needed only very rarely. I certainly wouldn't "hack" a device whose sole purpose is saving my life, over $25.
http://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/life-jacket-wear-wearing-your-life-jacket.php

Yup....but they never look that close.

I agree, why hack a cylinder? It simply isn't an issue. Like addapost I've never had a need to use it.

I've never had a reason to use it either and hope I never do, I only hacked it because I was inspecting it once and noticed the little plastic piece had fallen out.  It was armed and ready to deploy!  So I wasn't going to give them $25 for a tiny piece of plastic that shouldn't have fallen out in the first place.....
Just.  Get.  Out.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »

I've got a buddy who might be able to make some. He's looking for something to do after just returning from his deplorement in Afghanistan.

I also like the idea of complying with the pfd rules with something you wear.  I've tried strapping one to my board but found it doesn't leave enough room for my fire extinguisher.
Shhhh…. Don't ask, don't tell (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »

One man's "hack" is another's "customization", or simply "maintenance".  I hear what your saying, but the design is so simple and basic that any number things would work fine and on top of it, my solution is better for the environment.   Would you rather have yet another little piece of plastic that takes 100,000 years to degrade polluting our waters, or a small piece of natural wood, that will degrade?

Right on!  I haven't been able to look closely at one of these, but is it just a little hole that needs some kind of breakable pin in it?  You've got a Sospenders, right?

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »

One man's "hack" is another's "customization", or simply "maintenance".  I hear what your saying, but the design is so simple and basic that any number things would work fine and on top of it, my solution is better for the environment.   Would you rather have yet another little piece of plastic that takes 100,000 years to degrade polluting our waters, or a small piece of natural wood, that will degrade?

Right on!  I haven't been able to look closely at one of these, but is it just a little hole that needs some kind of breakable pin in it?  You've got a Sospenders, right?

Yup the Sospenders, I like it.  I mean, as far as gear that I hope to never use it's right at the top of my list  ;D
Just.  Get.  Out.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
+1 on the Sospenders, hardly even notice it's there. I've never had to use it and I'll admit I've never tried it either.

I recently received an email from a company that makes some inflatable surf vests and also came out with a new inflatable rash guard. I don't think it's USCG approved so it's probably a moot point but I wonder if something like this could become the norm?

http://quaticapparel.com/products/inflatable-rashguard

I don't have any affiliation with them, I haven't even seen any of their products in person.

A PFD with integrated hydration would catch my eye for sure too, hopefully MTI listens to what Stoney has to say.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 06:32:21 PM »

Nope, haven't inflated.  I probably should since as I mentioned I have tons of CO2 cartridges and toothpicks so a re-arm kit won't cost me any extra.  If anything I should inflate to be sure all the seams are solid and there's no leaks.  The product gets great reviews everywhere so I guess I'm putting some confidence in the experiences of others...

So at this point all you have is a theory that it will work. An Inflation Theory. You are expecting that when you pull the cord you'll get a Big Bang.
Bunch of old shit

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »

Nope, haven't inflated.  I probably should since as I mentioned I have tons of CO2 cartridges and toothpicks so a re-arm kit won't cost me any extra.  If anything I should inflate to be sure all the seams are solid and there's no leaks.  The product gets great reviews everywhere so I guess I'm putting some confidence in the experiences of others...

So at this point all you have is a theory that it will work. An Inflation Theory. You are expecting that when you pull the cord you'll get a Big Bang.

You could test the seams by using the inflating tube, right?

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »

You could test the seams by using the inflating tube, right?

Yeah I guess I could. This is wild, I've never put so much thought into something that I usually robotically put on and forget.  It's like a whole new dimension of SUPing has opened up...   ???
Just.  Get.  Out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal