Author Topic: Renewing the pfd question  (Read 17887 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Renewing the pfd question
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »
This is on my mind, but more so now due to the "does having to pump up inflatable ever deter going out" thread, since that has morphed into an iSup offshore safety question.
What are people's thoughts on inflatable pfds, and which ones are recommended?  There are the beltpack pfds that, when inflated, can be worn like a regular pfd, then there are the ones that just create an air pillow over your abdomen, with a strap that goes around your neck.
I'm going to get one of the beltpack pfds, but which one?  Which brand is better, and which style?

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Renewing the pfd question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »
I use a full type I or II when on my iSUP and going far from shore or even in notoriously swift and dangerous sections of the Potomac River, which is also approx 2 miles wide in the lower sections.  And oh yeah, it seems every year someone catches a bullshark in the Potomac too... http://wtvr.com/2013/08/22/two-bull-sharks-in-virginia-river/

But on safer trips and leisurely outings I use either the Stearns inflatable or nothing if I'm in super safe waters and just fishing.  This is the Stearns that I have, I can't say if it's any good as I haven't had to use it but it's light, unobtrusive, and has some pockets for earbud storage and to clip my GoPro to..

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-2000007055-SOSpenders-0340/dp/B004D344F2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429317112&sr=8-2&keywords=inflatable+pfd
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
I use a full type I or II when on my iSUP and going far from shore or even in notoriously swift and dangerous sections of the Potomac River, which is also approx 2 miles wide in the lower sections.  And oh yeah, it seems every year someone catches a bullshark in the Potomac too... http://wtvr.com/2013/08/22/two-bull-sharks-in-virginia-river/

But on safer trips and leisurely outings I use either the Stearns inflatable or nothing if I'm in super safe waters and just fishing.  This is the Stearns that I have, I can't say if it's any good as I haven't had to use it but it's light, unobtrusive, and has some pockets for earbud storage and to clip my GoPro to..

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-2000007055-SOSpenders-0340/dp/B004D344F2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429317112&sr=8-2&keywords=inflatable+pfd

Did you ever inflate the Stearn's just to see how it did?  Does it have an oral inflation tube?  I do like that like one for a simple, pillow-type inflatable.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
Spirit4..

I think many of us have belt-pack pfd's, the kind that inflate w/ CO2.  And most of us wear them backwards (on our butts), to look cool.  (They are intended to be worn forward).  And most of us have never inflated, or maybe once when we first purchased many years ago... ;)

It might be fair to say, if we had to rely on our pfds, we might be SOL...
But then again, don't forget you're tethered to an SUP...
You'll be pretty safe..
Even with your inflatable...

:o  :-\  :'(  UNTIL FLYING FISH ATTACK  :o  :(  :-\
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
To be honest I haven't.  Guess I have some faith in them  :-\

It does have an oral inflation tube, and the CO2 cartridges it takes are exactly the same as a standard cartridge for cycling.  Since I race bikes, I have hundreds of those at home so that's convenient.
Just.  Get.  Out.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
Spirit4..

I think many of us have belt-pack pfd's, the kind that inflate w/ CO2.  And most of us wear them backwards (on our butts), to look cool.  (They are intended to be worn forward).  And most of us have never inflated, or maybe once when we first purchased many years ago... ;)

It might be fair to say, if we had to rely on our pfds, we might be SOL...
But then again, don't forget you're tethered to an SUP...
You'll be pretty safe..
Even with your inflatable...

:o  :-\  :'(  UNTIL FLYING FISH ATTACK  :o  :(  :-\

Lol-!!   I wondered what that was leaping from Lake Jocassee!!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »

It does have an oral inflation tube, and the CO2 cartridges it takes are exactly the same as a standard cartridge for cycling.  Since I race bikes, I have hundreds of those at home so that's convenient.

It's those silly little green pins that get you.  How can they charge $20 or more for a plastic pin and a CO2 cartridge that costs a couple bucks in a bike shop!  Anyway....I guess I'm trying to decide between one like the Stearns, or a fuller coverage one like the MTI Fluid 2.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »
I use the MTI Type III belt CO2 type for almost all my paddling. Wearing it on your front (where it should be) is only an issue as it gets in the way when getting back on the board, but I'll switch it to the front when conditions are gnarly. For serious downwinders I'll wear a regular PFD.

The other issue is the CO2 PFD is there is a pull cord with an anchor shaped tag on the end. This is supposed to stick out the side of the bag that the PFD is inside so it is easy to get to. Most people pack this tag inside the bag so it does not get snagged on things and deployed by mistake. This happened to me when sitting on a dock getting back off my board when on vacation in Long Island, and the anchor tag caught caught inbetween the slats in the dock and BAM, suddenly it inflated... Luckily I was able to get another CO2 cylinder locally. Yes, you can inflate yourself with the mouthpiece in an emergency but if I go on a vacation now I take a spare cylinder.  So my recommendation is if you think you may have to use quickly, make sure the anchor tag is sticking out of the side of the bag..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »

It's those silly little green pins that get you.  How can they charge $20 or more for a plastic pin and a CO2 cartridge that costs a couple bucks in a bike shop!  Anyway....I guess I'm trying to decide between one like the Stearns, or a fuller coverage one like the MTI Fluid 2.

Ahh.. the little green pins... yes it's a fraud and they should be sued for charging that.  So I created a hack for it.  Those pins are designed to break under a moderate pull of the string, so I looked around and found a nice replacement - a piece of toothpick.  I inserted a toothpick in the hole, broke the extra off, and now I just have a small piece in there the same length as the little green pin.  And even if the toothpick isn't the same fragility as the pin I'm positive I could break it with a pull - it just has to be more fragile than the string which I'm 100% sure it is.

I love hacking things....
Just.  Get.  Out.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
I use the MTI Type III belt CO2 type for almost all my paddling. Wearing it on your front (where it should be) is only an issue as it gets in the way when getting back on the board, but I'll switch it to the front when conditions are gnarly. For serious downwinders I'll wear a regular PFD.

The other issue is the CO2 PFD is there is a pull cord with an anchor shaped tag on the end. This is supposed to stick out the side of the bag that the PFD is inside so it is easy to get to. Most people pack this tag inside the bag so it does not get snagged on things and deployed by mistake. This happened to me when sitting on a dock getting back off my board when on vacation in Long Island, and the anchor tag caught caught inbetween the slats in the dock and BAM, suddenly it inflated... Luckily I was able to get another CO2 cylinder locally. Yes, you can inflate yourself with the mouthpiece in an emergency but if I go on a vacation now I take a spare cylinder.  So my recommendation is if you think you may have to use quickly, make sure the anchor tag is sticking out of the side of the bag..

Well, you found out that it really works!   :).   If you got the cylinder locally, what did you use for the replacement pin?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »

Ahh.. the little green pins... yes it's a fraud and they should be sued for charging that.  So I created a hack for it.  Those pins are designed to break under a moderate pull of the string, so I looked around and found a nice replacement - a piece of toothpick.  I inserted a toothpick in the hole, broke the extra off, and now I just have a small piece in there the same length as the little green pin.  And even if the toothpick isn't the same fragility as the pin I'm positive I could break it with a pull - it just has to be more fragile than the string which I'm 100% sure it is.

When I get one, I'll have to play around with the toothpick idea.  Does this mean that you've inflated it at least once?

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »

When I get one, I'll have to play around with the toothpick idea.  Does this mean that you've inflated it at least once?

Nope, haven't inflated.  I probably should since as I mentioned I have tons of CO2 cartridges and toothpicks so a re-arm kit won't cost me any extra.  If anything I should inflate to be sure all the seams are solid and there's no leaks.  The product gets great reviews everywhere so I guess I'm putting some confidence in the experiences of others...
Just.  Get.  Out.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
This is the warning on my iSUP... It is not a life saving device
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
The folks at MTI are right around the corner from me. Long time sponsors of the CCBC. They've been very generous, great people. I have four of the belt packs. I had one of the Fluid IIs before they hit the streets. I was at the office/warehouse and Lily asked me to check it out for her. I like the leaner profile and its a stout well padded belt. I hook my leash to the carabiner for cruising, distance, etc. The pocket is a little small, keeps it sleek I guess. Good enough for a key credit card and license...what more do you need? Oh...and the fluorescent orange safety whistle that's in the pocket.

All their stuff is good quality, I've tried most of it on. If you look at their website you'll see yours truly carrying my board into the water, and that's my wife's smiling face in the red PFD in the middle, and all of the boards shown are mine. We helped do a photoshoot with some family and friends. We pulled the cord on a bunch of the fluids, 6 or 7 people, pretty easy on, and they do have a manual inflation tube.
https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/

I do have to admit that unless I'm in sketchy conditions the cartridge isn't even engaged. I put it in and make sure its ready to go though if I am.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:02:14 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Hey Bob, talk to those people about combining a camelback with their Fluid IIs. I've done it for myself, but that would be a pack I'd buy. They could park it on top of a belt camelbak.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard