Author Topic: Anyone interested in a trip to Namotu, Fiji?  (Read 3166 times)

Long Beach Paddle Guy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Anyone interested in a trip to Namotu, Fiji?
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
I've been suping 3-5 days a week now for a couple of years and one of my dreams is to spend a week on Namotu Island, Fiji sup surfing. It's pretty much paradise and from what I understand one of the best SUP waves around. If you're not familiar with what Namotu is all about check out an article in the Fall, 2011 issue of Standup Journal (A Week on Namotu Is Better than a Year at Home) and go to NamotuIslandFiji.com.

Dave Kalama has an annual camp there but it's full already for 2015 so . . . anyone interested in a joining me for a week in paradise later in the year? 

I'm going to work on getting there no matter what but I think it would be a lot more fun with a few kindred spirts . . .

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in a trip to Namotu, Fiji?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Yes very interested. Not sure of my odds on being able to make it though. When you say end of the year you mean December?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
I am looking for a trip in august of 2016 for 50th birthday ?  If you dont make it this summer ? 

Jim in pdx

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »
It's an amazing place.  Surfed Fiji a couple times in the early '90's when Namotu was a sandbar called Magic Island.  Went back on my first "packaged" surf trip in 2006 and was blown away.  I was with a group of about 25 (all over 40) and brought my paddle along just in case and Scotty let me use a board Laird left behind called "Dah Commandah." I SUPed Wilkes, Lefts, and Swimming Pools and when he wind came up I got the boatmen to follow me on a couple downwinders and give me a ride back.  Meanwhile the rest of our crew was in the bar or bobbing around in a fishing boat.

Check with Waterways but I think December can be kind of windy.  My trips were in April (twice) and October (last one).
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
I have been oogling out on namotu for the last few weeks ever since I watched Piros' Fiji SUP movie.
Namotu is surf, sup, fishing, and kitesurf paradise. These happen to be all of my favorite activities. Looks like around $3500US/pp for 7 nights incl airfare from LA. All meals included and boat service for downwinders (SUP and Kite)and to remote breaks(5 minutes away).
After alot of forum combing, I concluded that its worth it to pony up the cash and stay right there on the island or Tavarua which is equally as sick(and expensive). A lot of people tried to save a buck and stay on other neighboring islands and take longer boat rides to the goods, and in the end said that next time they would stay on Namotu. I am going to try and go sometime in 2017. I guess many who go, end up making it a regular gig every year due to the outright sickness of the whole place.

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
I know I have posted this video before but it's made from shots taken during the trip for the StandUp Journal Article...just features the island from the perspective of some of the more "normal" (not pros) SUPers who went along. Namotu is an amazing place. Every time I watch the video I want to go back...enjoy

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal