Author Topic: SIC F16 vs. Bullet 17-4  (Read 3525 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SIC F16 vs. Bullet 17-4
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »
For what conditions, or riders, is the F16 a better choice than the Bullet 17-4?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC F16 vs. Bullet 17-4
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
67 views and no replies? I know some of you out there must have experience with both these boards, and I'd be very grateful to hear from you because I'm trying to make up my mind which to get. Thanks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
The F16 is more stable, has more nose rocker, and steers better from the tail. The bullet is faster, has some wicked little habits, but handles the big open stuff better. When you go to the tail of the bullet you're a passenger--or at least I am. I can pick the nose up and set it down in a different direction, but that isn't really steering.  F16 is best for shorter period and/or choppy conditions. Easier board to ride and easier to manage banking and cutting across the faces.

You'd think more people would be on F16s, but here in Maui every downwinder is a race. Greg (covesurfer) manages to be very fast on his, and Devin is super fast on her 15' custom with F16 rocker, but most folks are on Bullets and a lot are on custom Bullets that look like spears. You'd think there was money on this, but you get style points for having your board on the truck in dry clothes when your buddies show up. Lots of style points.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:33:21 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
I've been lucky enough to paddle both on the same run.

My buddy has the 17-4 Bullet and I have the F16v3 (both Maui made customs) and we often swap around. I like the Bullet 17-4 the stronger the wind gets. In lighter winds, it feels heavy. With stronger winds (20 knot plus) the Bullet 17-4 comes into its own. It has a momentum that keeps it going, and it punches through better than the F16 which has more rocker. For my conditions the F16 is more usable, but I have to say I like the feel of the Bullet 17-4 more especially when there is more than 25knots of wind and when conditions get bigger and there is ocean / ground swell present.

Here are two vids of the two boards on the same run: The Port Shelter Express - Hong Kong which is all windswell (no ocean/ground swell). If you have enough bandwidth, you can run both vids at the same time.. just turn the sound down..

https://youtu.be/VtJPZ8QcjZg
This has me on the F16 and my buddy on the Bullet 17-4

https://youtu.be/_7CbL1KYN4s
This has me on the Bullet 17-4, and my buddy on the Bullet 14V1 TWC

...and YES, these were made right before DJ explained to me the importance of surf-stance downwinding..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:48:28 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:04:09 AM »
Area 10. Also looking at what you posted on the Naish 17' about your conditions and rudder usage, I find I only use the rudder on either board when we're in groomed conditions (like these two runs), or it's 25 knots+ with ocean / ground swell and then the rudder comes into its own and is essential to change directly quickly. Otherwise I leave it alone when conditions are too mixed up, as I spend most of my time just trying to stay on the board let alone use the rudder. This does not seem to be an issue at all with either board when the rudder cables are correctly tensioned and the rudder aligned properly.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
Ahhh, grasshopper, your rudder is waiting. The magic of a rudder is being able to spend more time on the face of the swell, steering too far into the face on purpose and then stabilizing with countersteering, and then steering for the little slot that lets you connect. I feel like I'm out of control if my toe is not on the rudder. I need to spend some time with my rudder locked to get over that, but I'm totally dependent on mine. You can get away with more with an F16 because it will steer from the tail, but a Bullet needs rudder. Or at least I do when I'm on a Bullet.

On a day like yesterday when Maliko was insane, a rudder is the best way to maintain control. In a big drop it lets you carve into the face and keep your speed when stalling or paddle steering would tumble you into the crevasse.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:47:24 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal