Author Topic: Any multi-talented frothers here?  (Read 15252 times)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any multi-talented frothers here?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »
One of our local watertoy reps was a pro kiteboarder in the 2000's.  One day we were doing a SUP race and I had picked my line but no one else was following.  Turns out I should have paid attention at the skipper's meeting because there was a buoy along the shore I was supposed to go around.  The other guys were yelling at me and I eventually figured out the problem.  Later this guy told me, "Sorry I didn't tell you sooner but I don't see so good to that side."  On another occasion, I told him I was going to buy a small kite for SUP.  He told me, "You have small kids, don't do it."

There was an open letter to the Olympics regarding including kiting.  I believe it was from Starboard.  As I recall, it outlined 200 deaths in the last decade from kiting and none from windsurfing.  My googling is failing to find it right now. 

Having said that, I am still interested in some low wind tropical kiting.  If it's blowing, I would rather windsurf.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Kiteboarding has taken a bit of a beating here so I thought I'd chime in with my experience. I started kiting in 2000 in Maui. I was learning how to water start a windsurfer at Kanaha and often found myself downwind almost amongst the kiters. I decided I wanted to learn how to kite too, some of the industry's biggest names were down there boosting insane heights and it looked pretty fun.

It was 2 line kites back then and a wrist leash, if you used it. I had a 1 hr brief about how to use the kite from a friend who could ride and had to figure out the rest myself. With 10 years of Hobie sailing and basic one design style windsurfing skills, I had a good understanding of the wind and water but it still took me about 3 months of riding (pretty often) to be able to come back to the same spot on the beach. I knew every inch of the beach between Naish beach and the harbour.

Things have come a long way since then as far as kite equipment goes but I absolutely recommend to any one who is interested to get lessons at reputable schools who have decent equipment.

Kiting was my life basically for 10 years, travelling, competing, and I am where I am in life today because of kiting.

I don't have the horror stories of many that have posted and I was involved in all levels of kiting for many years. State, national and international competition as rider, organiser and judge. I had no major injuries from kiting. The only injuries for personal friends were shoulder or knee injuries. Thanks to my time on Maui I had a very healthy respect for the wind and the potential dangers of flying a kite near shore. I would always launch my kite, keep it low and head straight for the water. I would bring my kite in low for someone to catch and then swim or drift the rest of the way in. I don't understand why so many people stand around flying their kites on the beach, this is how the majority of accidents happen. Many places are not as extreme as Maui but this is how I rode everywhere.

If I had the time, I'd probably still kite as it is a good compliment to SUP/SUS. I'd also like to get back into windsurfing but any time I have available goes into SUP right now.

My friends dad is about 70 something and is learning how to kite. As with all sports and anything in life, it's as crazy and out of control as you allow it to be/get.

The point is, don't let these pages put you off kiting and be sure to get a good instructor and quality gear..
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
I used to be a windsurfing fanatic and even moved myself and family to Maui to pursue it. I'm back in Nowind Diego but I plan on getting into kitesurfing when I start traveling. I understand kitemares happen, but oh my gawd, how I drool over my keyboard when I watch kite surfing videos. That feeling of flight is why we do what we do and no other water based sport can produce the flight time that you'll get from kiting.

A friend of mine started in 2000 with those nasty old dangerous kites and still hits it regularly. He lives in the Ventura area where they get a million windy days a year. He standup surfs when there's no wind and kitesurfs when it's windy. He hits C street area and talks about 1/4 mile long rides and smacking the lip 50 times! By the way, he says kite quality changes from year to year but the Naish Pivot is currently the best kite available because they work so well and are bulletproof tough.

Who's your friend ? I probably know him. I have kited C St for the past 15 years. Windsurfed there before that.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Reality of Kitesurfing
I've been involved with Kitesurfing since the beginning both personally * professionally

Kites are safer now than they were...But not 100% safe

You would be crazy to start without professional leassons...We won't sell Kites to folks who haven't taken Professional Lessons (cuts into sales but we haven't had anyone hurt since then)

** DON'T BUY KITE EQUIPMENT UNTIL YOU ARE DIRECTED TO BY AN INSTRUCTOR**

Don't let anyone "Sell You" the idea that kitesurfing is "easier" than windsurfing. KS has a steep learning curve like a FULL Season. In WS we have folks safely windsurfing in less than 2hr lesson.

Buying "Internet Junk Equipment" is a sure way to a Kitemare. Pay a professional to get you THE RIGHT KITE and show you (multiple times) how to assemble and disassemble properly. We have found Naish Kites, Cabrinha to be the best.

Allot of TOP SUP brands have windsurfing inserts and I would use the wind power that way or Downwinding.

Kites are serious business look at them more as a FLYING sport (with strict operational perameter) rather than a "push the limits" kind of water sport

If you are still interested in Kite surfing I will be happy to direct you to a good LOCAL source of both equipment and Instruction

Be Safe

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

OK----     READ THIS   ^^^^^^^     Thank You

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
Kiteboarding has taken a bit of a beating here so I thought I'd chime in with my experience. I started kiting in 2000 in Maui. I was learning how to water start a windsurfer at Kanaha and often found myself downwind almost amongst the kiters. I decided I wanted to learn how to kite too, some of the industry's biggest names were down there boosting insane heights and it looked pretty fun.

It was 2 line kites back then and a wrist leash, if you used it. I had a 1 hr brief about how to use the kite from a friend who could ride and had to figure out the rest myself. With 10 years of Hobie sailing and basic one design style windsurfing skills, I had a good understanding of the wind and water but it still took me about 3 months of riding (pretty often) to be able to come back to the same spot on the beach. I knew every inch of the beach between Naish beach and the harbour.

Things have come a long way since then as far as kite equipment goes but I absolutely recommend to any one who is interested to get lessons at reputable schools who have decent equipment.

Kiting was my life basically for 10 years, travelling, competing, and I am where I am in life today because of kiting.

I don't have the horror stories of many that have posted and I was involved in all levels of kiting for many years. State, national and international competition as rider, organiser and judge. I had no major injuries from kiting. The only injuries for personal friends were shoulder or knee injuries. Thanks to my time on Maui I had a very healthy respect for the wind and the potential dangers of flying a kite near shore. I would always launch my kite, keep it low and head straight for the water. I would bring my kite in low for someone to catch and then swim or drift the rest of the way in. I don't understand why so many people stand around flying their kites on the beach, this is how the majority of accidents happen. Many places are not as extreme as Maui but this is how I rode everywhere.

If I had the time, I'd probably still kite as it is a good compliment to SUP/SUS. I'd also like to get back into windsurfing but any time I have available goes into SUP right now.

My friends dad is about 70 something and is learning how to kite. As with all sports and anything in life, it's as crazy and out of control as you allow it to be/get.

The point is, don't let these pages put you off kiting and be sure to get a good instructor and quality gear..

OK,   Now   READ THIS  ^^^^^^^^^^  Thank You !

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »
The two quoted posts above sum up  the reply I was preparing to your OP.

If you're serious about learning to kite, you will need to take lessons. You will need to buy good CURRENT gear and know how to operate it and maintain it.  You will need to approach both the learning and  progression of your ability with a safety first mindset. That said, you should not be discouraged by horror stories and crash clips.  Bad things can happen in ANY sport. Worst I've had in 15 years of kiting is a tweaked ankle. I could have avoided the injury too. No one had told me to ditch the board if coming down too hot from a big jump.

Where do you live ?  Where will you be kiting ?

I'm 61.  I love to SUP.  Also,  I love to kite. I ride a 5'5'' Caution Trespass directional board with straps. Down the line kite surfing , jumping, cruising.  I'm 20 minutes from Ventura , C St.  Windy there a lot -  I kited this past Monday , Wednesday and yesterday ( Friday ) And Thursday I SUP'd great waves in the area as there was no wind.

My next goal ? I just bought a foilboard to use with my kite when wind is lighter and no surf. It will take some time to learn how to do it.  I'm stoked to try something new and be a kook again, well hopefully a SAFE kook and not a hazard to others.

I say -  Learn To Kite !  You will LOVE IT.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
David Yeomans. He drives a white Toyota pickup with a shell. He told me he's been taking photos of you guys kiting lately. He got himself a JP a few months ago and is thrashing around out there trying to learn how to sup surf too. He had a close-call kitemare there a few days ago. Do you know him?

I used to be a windsurfing fanatic and even moved myself and family to Maui to pursue it. I'm back in Nowind Diego but I plan on getting into kitesurfing when I start traveling. I understand kitemares happen, but oh my gawd, how I drool over my keyboard when I watch kite surfing videos. That feeling of flight is why we do what we do and no other water based sport can produce the flight time that you'll get from kiting.

A friend of mine started in 2000 with those nasty old dangerous kites and still hits it regularly. He lives in the Ventura area where they get a million windy days a year. He standup surfs when there's no wind and kitesurfs when it's windy. He hits C street area and talks about 1/4 mile long rides and smacking the lip 50 times! By the way, he says kite quality changes from year to year but the Naish Pivot is currently the best kite available because they work so well and are bulletproof tough.

Who's your friend ? I probably know him. I have kited C St for the past 15 years. Windsurfed there before that.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
That friend of mine that kites C Street calls that going back and forth stuff "mowing the lawn." The waves were always my thing too so I wasn't much into mowing the lawn when I use to windsurf, but with a kite, dang, it's insane the air those guys boost while going back and forth!

That makes me want to kite. Not too attracted to the idea of going back and forth in the Gorge, but it looks like a great tool for the ocean.
JP
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »
David Yeomans. He drives a white Toyota pickup with a shell. He told me he's been taking photos of you guys kiting lately. He got himself a JP a few months ago and is thrashing around out there trying to learn how to sup surf too. He had a close-call kitemare there a few days ago. Do you know him?

Sounds familiar. I'm sure I've seen him.  Not sure if his kitemare involved another kiter or solo. C St. can get congested. Depending on strength of wind and swell size, there can be a lot of kiters and a lot of surfers at the same time. This ramps up friction between the two groups if kiters ( usually out of towners that don't know etiquette ) are riding too near or ( worse ) through the pack of surfers. There is a lot of room to kite at and above the rivermouth. Policy of longtime area kiters here is to stay out of the cove and surfer pack until it gets so windy the surfers leave the water.

I have found that the area a mile or two up the coast towards SB ( Emma Wood Group Camp) is better suited for my kiting as there is tons of room to kite and no surfers ever.

Be polite and Be safe and it's all good.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Sounds familiar. I'm sure I've seen him.  Not sure if his kitemare involved another kiter or solo. C St. can get congested. Depending on strength of wind and swell size, there can be a lot of kiters and a lot of surfers at the same time. This ramps up friction between the two groups if kiters ( usually out of towners that don't know etiquette ) are riding too near or ( worse ) through the pack of surfers. There is a lot of room to kite at and above the rivermouth. Policy of longtime area kiters here is to stay out of the cove and surfer pack until it gets so windy the surfers leave the water.

I have found that the area a mile or two up the coast towards SB ( Emma Wood Group Camp) is better suited for my kiting as there is tons of room to kite and no surfers ever.

Be polite and Be safe and it's all good.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
I've been kiting since 42 years of age,  I'm 55 now. Follow advice,  remember it's a flying sport, and you'll be OK.

I broke my ribs once,  mis-timed back roll kite loop.  No other problems or mishap.
Ride strapless surf board now. 30 knots maximum.

Kite is my main sport in spring,  summer,  fall. Sup is complement.
Cycling in winter ( Sweden!)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
When learning, it's best to body drag without a board at first. It's a lot safer that way.

https://youtu.be/lV45XSDWxh8

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »
The fact that there's a term called kitemares says it all. I witnessed a few memorable moments the year I learned to kite in Maui, including a guy getting impaled on a fencepost (not a fatality, amazingly) dropped from about a hundred feet (broken pelvis). I'll probably give it a go this year in hood river--with good instructors. I'm staying clear of Admin and Chan, I hear they are dangerous and Chan has the record for being chin dragged across the sandbar.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 05:48:09 AM »
Lots of doom and gloom. Most of the crashes are really old footage. Taught my son at 11. Some good Stoke and images here http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Groms-go-off-in-WA/?page=1

Kiting rocks as does mtb 😀
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:51:28 AM by Hilly »

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
The best thing about kiting is you don't have to worry/bitch about it getting windy anymore. Now you just bitch about not enough wind. White man problems......

All three of my children will be kiteboarders when they grow up. It can be a great family sport. I will instill in them the innate spazzyness to chase wind and waves for the rest of their lives. Its my duty as the head spazz in the household. There will be a good amount of fishing involved too, as this fills all remaining time with no surf or wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal