Author Topic: Lasik: What to do?  (Read 16783 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Lasik: What to do?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »
About the only thing that has always worked fairly well for me are my eyes. Best thing I ever did was to refuse the glasses prescribed when I was a kid. My eyes have gotten somewhat worse lately, not sure where they are on the standard but I can read street signs a long way off and fine print on menus is still no problem unless its a very fine font. Fingers crossed they stay that way.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
About the only thing that has always worked fairly well for me are my eyes. Best thing I ever did was to refuse the glasses prescribed when I was a kid. My eyes have gotten somewhat worse lately, not sure where they are on the standard but I can read street signs a long way off and fine print on menus is still no problem unless its a very fine font. Fingers crossed they stay that way.
Stoneaxe--the weird thing is your eyes can be fine your whole life, then one day they just crap out on you.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »
Stoneaxe--the weird thing is your eyes can be fine your whole life, then one day they just crap out on you.

Kick a guy when he's down huh?  Pretty funny.  I'll have to remember that one.  Ah memory, another issue.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »

Kick a guy when he's down huh?  Pretty funny.  I'll have to remember that one.  Ah memory, another issue.
Yep, you and Stoneaxe both had a couple pretty hilarious comments on the memory thread last week. 

Kmania

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »
I had Lasik about three years ago and have been thrilled with the results. I do have to use reading glasses but that's a fair price to pay for not needing glasses the rest of the time. If you were in Orange County, I would highly recommend Dr. Kirsten at Harvard Eye. As far as cost, it was about $4,000 and I financed it for two years, interest-free. If you can do it through an HSA, that would be a good way to go too.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »
1 week after my surgery and I am discovering all sorts of new things similar to PonoBill observing multiple strata of bugs above him in the atmosphere.

I took my first flight yesterday from San Francisco to Las Vegas and back.   The view from 35,000 feet was similar to the one below.  I looked down and observed 3 dimensional texture to the farmland.  I could discern what looked like grasses vs. shrubs vs. trees.  I thought 'Wow there is actually texture to the earth as opposed to varying shades of etched green and brown.'

I mentioned this to my wife, who has had Chuck Yeager vision her whole life, and she said 'You never saw that before?'   :o

In many small ways Lasik's is like being reborn.  Simply Awesome!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:55:34 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
Kmania -- try doing some eye exercises. they're simple and you can do some of them while you're driving, though some of them require that you be safely stopped. A simple one is turning your head so you're looking out of the corner of your eyes at the road and tilting your head up and down. When you wear glasses you look out of the focal center of the glasses and turn your head to see instead of moving your eyes. The muscles get weak, and even after Lasik it persists as a habit. I had to wear reading glasses for two years after my Lasik, but now I only wear them for demanding close work, like repairing bits in a smartphone.

If you Google eye exercises for presbyopia you'll find lots of hits. Some are selling something--ignore those. Some are saying it doesn't work--mostly associated with some commercial eyecare enterprise--ignore those. The exercises are simple and don't require equipment, vitamins, drops, or drugs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Kmania

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
Thanks, PonoBill; I'll give them a try. I do a lot of reading and sitting in front of a computer, so anything that would improve my close reading would be great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal