Author Topic: Advice on iSUPs to test  (Read 6043 times)

iSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Advice on iSUPs to test
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Hi,

I currently have a Red Paddle Allwater, 9.6x32 which, after a year and a bit of usage, I've discovered is too slow for the paddling I normally do - exercise distance paddling on relatively calm rivers. hence I'm looking for an upgrade (still need it to be an iSUP) to a more touring/racing shaped board around the 12.6-14 x 29-30 width. Apart from the river paddling it will occasionally be taken to choppier waters in the ocean for paddling -not focussed on surfing.

While I really like the Red Paddle for its quality and stiffness, their Race and Explorer boards are out of my price range. I've identified a couple of boards available here in Australia within the price range I'm looking at (2014-2015 models). I'm 5.7" and 165 lbs.

Jimmy Lewis Stiletto Air 12.6 x 32
Starboard Astro Touring 12.6 x 31
Fanatic Fly Air Race 12.6 x 29
JP Australia Sportstair 12.6x29

As i won't have time to test all of them I'm hoping for some feedback from those who have tried them, in regard to how stiff they felt, how quick they were in calm waters, in choppier conditions, and overall opinion. This will help me choose which 2 or so to test. I'm not really after an "A is better than B" comparison, more if anyone has good or bad experiences with a particular board.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:45:34 PM by iSupper »

iSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on iSUPs to test
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
Another one that's available is the C4 Waterman iTrekker 12.6"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:00:08 AM »
Why are you only considering 12-6 boards? For what you want a 14 would be more fun, and the lack of transport/storage issues with an iSUP generally means you can go as long as you like.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
'Supper, if the boards you really think you'd like are above your budget....
Find a way to raise your budget.   ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:23 AM »
iSupper - I only know the RedPaddle brand so can't comment on the others you have mentioned, and since you like your 9'6,  I'd see if you can get a deal on a 2014 x 12-6 Race (30" or the Elite 26") or the 2014 x 14' Elite Race. These all have stiffening battens. I have the 2014 x 14' Elite Race and travel a lot with it, and it's a great board but at your weight you'll be fine on the 12-6 Elite.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:37 AM »
If you're in Oz I'm surprised you didn't add this to your list..

I did a distance paddle on mine the other day and I was surprised at how fast it is for such a wide and stable board..

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Hi DavidJohn,

Your board is obviously a Naish, but would you mind saying which specific Naish it is? Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
Hi DavidJohn,

Your board is obviously a Naish, but would you mind saying which specific Naish it is? Thanks.

It's the 2015 12' Glide Air: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/naish-12-glide-air

iSupper, I second Off-Shore's suggestion of a 2014 12'6" Race on sale. You know the Red brand and this may be a way to get on another Red but stay within budget. Contact Matt at repaddleco.com.au or 0435 RED RED, he should be able to set you up.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

iSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the tips. Ive already tried w Matt, we'll see what he has at the end of the season..

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:04 AM »
You should also check out our 2014 12'6 x 30 Touring Air model, we have it on sale for just $799 including a 3 piece paddle, a great deal.  We have a demo board available at our shop in Honolulu:

http://blueplanetsurf.com/products/bp-126x30x6-inflatable-sup

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
iSupper - I can't speak to the boards you posted, but I do have a Robert's Blue Planet 12'6" x30 . Given it's very similar to the Jimmy Lewis but narrower (faster?) perhaps you should look at it. The BP is very solid feeling - there is  little flex when I paddle hard (above 5mph) and push up a bow wave, but I am almost twice your weight - you wouldn't flex it at all, I think. My GPS indicates that I usually paddle about 4 or 4.3 mph for most straightline "excer-paddling".  I paddle ONLY on flat water (lakes and streams - no ocean) , usually a few miles when I make time in the evening after work. My idea of chop is NOT what this forum considers chop :D  - I get little waves that splash over the bow, and winds of up to 10mph  - in those conditions it's been great. Blue Planet does easy shipping too - being in Alaska, I'm sensitive to shipping costs and  BP was reasonable about shipping. I inflate the board to 15psi in less than 10 minutes. My son (145 lbs) loves it and plans to take it away from me a lot this summer :D .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal