Author Topic: car rental in Costa Rica  (Read 1888 times)

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
car rental in Costa Rica
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
Any body have info on Car Rental and Insurance and mandatory insurance for Costa Rica,  that has recent info in the last year?

Also good places to rent from in San Jose airport area like Dollar ???  Where did you rent?

I have been there more than 50 times in the last 18 years but the last time was three years ago and I got blown away by the extra cost of mandatory insurance.  I was used to renting a car for $150 and that was it.  Last time was the cost was more than three airplane tickets.

Thanks in advance.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: car rental in Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »
No one has rented a car in Costa Rica in the last year?

SUPSagNJ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I think the mandatory insurance is called "third party liability". You need to get a quote that includes this. Also ask about Airport taxes and all other fees. They are sales people at the counter, but you don't want any surprises. I have had good luck with Vamos at the Liberia Airport. they have a San Jose location too.  Also a company by the name of U-save, but make sure you do your homework before you leave. The CDW or collision damage waiver should not be mandatory, but you need to know what you are responsible for and how and if your credit card company will pay for the car if you have an accident. I found that only my American Express card would cover the physical damage, but only if I signed up to get charged 25 bucks each time I rent a car with it, which is well worth it. (up to 100k limit on the car and the insurance is primary).
The insurance is never cheap, but you don't want to get to the counter and get a surprise which may add hundreds extra. Vamos, by the way, uses cars that are a couple of years old and are well maintained. They also give you a free roof rack, cooler, cell phone for emergencies, and have never hit me with surprise costs at the counter. Just make sure to photo the car cause they document every scratch and nick when you return it.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Thanks NJ.  I think I narrowed it down to vamos and dollar.  Usave and Adobe were good but higher priced.  I will get the full coverage so no surprises.  I did last time in CR and there were no problems.  I just think it sucks that it doubles the cost of the car for ten days. 

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »
This is from a friend who just got back from CR three weeks ago and he went surfing in remote areas.

Rental car company - he used Fox.
Insurance - he bought full insurance (which covered the blown out tire this past trip).
Type of car - unless staying in big/medium size town with good asphalt roads, get a rugged vehicle.  He rented Toyota Rav4 all wheel drive and recommended 4x4 if really going to remote areas (frequent river crossings).  Rental cars are under inflate for smoother ride but will blow out at high speed ... check the air pressure before leaving the lot. 

Have fun!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard